Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to book handicapped accessible room if able-bodied? Elite upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2013, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I had this happen at the HGI Bristol a few months back. It's bound to be a bug rather than a "troubling new development". I just put a note on the booking saying I actually wanted a normal room and I got one when I arrived. No bother.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert
I have stayed in accessible rooms at HGIs--and find them to be considerably larger than standard rooms--with no downside.
The downside is that the Hilton agent on the phone won't book it for you. A month ago, I saw that the HGI near me had both standard room and accessible available online, but standard room was listed at "premium" costing 20K extra. I could, however, book the accessible room for the standard rate online. I was getting a room for my niece to visit us, so I called and try to book the room under her name. The Diamond desk refused to reserved the room for me because it is an accessible room. So I ended up booking the room online, and go there to check in myself. And I was upgraded to a "standard" room. The whole thing is so messed up. I don't need the nights or the stay credit. I only want to reserve a room on standard rate!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:40 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
I saw this when trying to book a room..

This room has features for guests with disabilities. If you need these features, or there are no other rooms available that meet your needs, click Proceed. Otherwise, select a different room.

Is that new or is it standard?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by poser
I saw this when trying to book a room..

This room has features for guests with disabilities. If you need these features, or there are no other rooms available that meet your needs, click Proceed. Otherwise, select a different room.

Is that new or is it standard?
The way that it is going, very soon, the only standard reward available would be accessible rooms. I think they are trying to put in wordings so that people without disabilities could book them. Well no other room available without paying double the amount of points, so this is the only room that meet the needs!
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Need
The way that it is going, very soon, the only standard reward available would be accessible rooms. I think they are trying to put in wordings so that people without disabilities could book them. Well no other room available without paying double the amount of points, so this is the only room that meet the needs!
That is exactly I have done today at Hilton SFO Bay Front. Other rooms cost between 78K to 112K when the 2 accessible room types are 30K. So I booked the accessible room and put in comment Please assign Standard Room.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hilton SFO Airport Bayfront - Accessible rooms only

The only available standard room award is 2 types of accessible room at 30K when the next available award is at 75K, 108K and 122K! I booked the accessible room then put in comments to please assign ordinary standard room.

I dont know if this is a bug or a troubling trend - either way it is annoying at the least.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:34 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I hazard to say Accessible Rooms and Accessible Access are in many countries, a legal requirement these days. Conversley I am not aware og any legislation anywhere, that fines hotel/guest for using room as a fully abled guest.

No hotel owner will want to be full up for normal rooms, but have 2/3/4 Accessible Rooms empty with associated lost revenue.

No doubt like some other FTers, I have arrived late and been allocated a ground floor accessible room on a couple of occaisions.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Booked a two-bed accessible room at the Hampton Inn Oakland/Alameda Airport this summer with points because no other two bedded rooms were available, although did note in my comments that I was willing to pay the rack rate upon arrival should any room open up. Nothing did.

This was the view:

Seems a shame that they would let anyone stay in a room like that.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Earlier this year I booked a standard room at a HGI and was upgraded to a accessible suite on the first floor. This may not be standard practice, however, since I always ask if an upgrade is available if the FD does not bring it up first. It's possible that they were originally going to put me in a standard king; I just don't remember how the conversation went at check in.

I was there for several nights. I think if this happens again, I'll tell the FD to kick me back into a standard room if at some point during my stay another guest needs an accessible room.

EDIT: Come to think of it, if someone was trying to book an accessible room, the website is not going to know if someone in an upgraded accessible is willing to switch back to a standard.

Last edited by N965VJ; Oct 8, 2013 at 3:32 pm
Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:16 pm

I am looking at a Hilton where the only queen/queen room type is a hearing disability room. All their other two bedded rooms are double/doubles which are not really big enough beds for two people, at least not for us. And it says the thing about not booking the disability room if you don't need it unless no other suitable room is available. If you need queens, double beds aren't suitable.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by RNOHoosier
So you screwed over a handicap person to make a point to the hotel? You didn't really even hurt the hotel, you just screwed over the handicap person. Nice. I've heard some low down things on here, but this just may take the cake. Do you trip old ladys and still candy from babys as well?
Do you have issues with reading? The poster stated that he wanted a different room, but the hotel declined. Sure he could have given in after the hotel needed something from him(I would have asked for a huge suite), but it is the property that ensured that "Billy Bob in the wheelchair" could not get a handicap room.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kmj37
As a person with a disability, I consider it absolutely unacceptable to book an accessible room when one is not needed, no matter the circumstances or the price. It is the ethical equivalent of parking in an accessible parking space, whether it is illegal or not.

Those rooms are there for people like myself who require those design modifications in order to complete basic, everyday functions like taking a shower. It is possible that harm will come to me if I'm forced to use a shower or other facilities without these modifications.

In the end, it is possible that you end up screwing a person who really needs the room. What if your hotel is the only hotel in the neighborhood with appropriate accommodations in that price level?

Consider also that many people with disabilities are limited in their transportation options. Renting a car may not be practical. Taxi use may be neither practical nor economical. Public transportation is hit or miss depending on the city. That hotel may be the only one within reasonable distance of the person's final destination, and you have possibly taken the last room available to that person at that hotel, out of greed, laziness, or general disregard for others.
"Greed"? So if a handicap room is $10 and a regular room is $100, I should just pay up so you can have fun too? Sorry pal, it does not work that way.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cordelli
I always find it interesting that Hilton offers the accessible rooms (whatever they call them) at a lower rate.

If you do reserve it, make sure to put a note in your comments that you do not necessarialy need an accessible room, and if somebody does, please take it.

I've been given one several times as an upgrade, and I've reserved them when presented with them.

I've never felt I was taking it from somebody, indeed when given it at check in it was fairly obvious to me that somebody else wasn't getting a regular room.

Like anything else, Hilton I'm sure on many days has way more accessible rooms available then they do people using them. They offer them at a discount to get people to reserve them.
This is exactly what I do, and 99% of the time they upgrade me to a better room that is not accessible.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I think it's ok to book an accessible room if you don't need it/want it if it's the only room available. There have been a couple times where only an accessible room was available on a points stay and the diamond desk has booked it for me and put in the comments that a non-accessible room was preferred, and I normally get put in a non-accessible room at checkin.

If only accessible rooms are left there is a very good chance those rooms would go unsold otherwise. I prefer a room with one king bed if I am travelling solo, but if only rooms with 2 beds are available or are cheaper, that is what I am booking-I'm sure some people travelling with kids would argue that I am taking away a room type they would require.

I look at it like using an accessible bathroom stall. If it's the only one vacant and there is no one in line waiting that requires an accessible stall, I see no harm in using it.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Oct 8, 2013 at 9:14 pm
Old Oct 9, 2013, 7:39 am

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
I ran up against this recently... a certain property was offering hearing accessible 2-bed suite at the standard room award redemption rate (a very reasonable 10k points/night). All the other 10k/night rooms were standard king or two-queen and non-accessible rooms were 35k/night. I went ahead and booked the hearing accessible suite since I'll be traveling with the wife and kids and would really prefer the extra space.

I didn't get the normal "this room should only be booked if..." warning, so I went ahead with it. I booked two different one-night stays as a stopping-point on our way to and from a 3-night stay in Chicago. I don't have any expectation of an upgrade (Hampton) if it is indeed a suite and they honor the reservation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.