Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Glasgow {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2008, 6:56 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by landstuhldoc
Considering a stay in March. I was wondering what the recent experience has been for HH Golds that have stayed here regarding Upgrades?
Stayed several times in recent weeks - a (very) good UK Hilton (shock!). Got upgraded to Exec Level on all but one occasion, when there was a big event at the hotel (happens quite often here). I got free breakfast instead which works well for me. The exec lounge is excellent - modern, spacious and the breakfast is very good; hot items plus a good selection of breads, cereals and other cold items, a decent coffee maker etc. Never too crowded. One pc for guest use. Re-modelled rooms are very nicely done - older rooms are to be avoided if possible but are actually not that bad. All-in-all a winner ^
Old Feb 28, 2009, 9:38 am

Programs: AS MVP, WN A-List+ UA Silver, HH <>, National EE, WoH Globalist
Week of the Open Championship

The Open golf championship will be held at Turnberry (Ayr) Scotland this year. I have booked the Glasgow Hilton for a week award stay - with the championship only an hour train ride away, will the hotel be "normally crowded for the summer," or "jam-packed for a big event?" Just curious to see what any locals or experienced folks might think. Do I even have a shot at a room upgrade as Gold? Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 6:26 pm

58 Guests & 17 staff ill at Glasgow Hilton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-10679806

Apparently suspected Norovirus. What would have caused that? Is that similar to faecal contamination & e coli? Doesn't look or sound good. Anyone stayed there recently?
Old Jul 20, 2010, 8:37 am

Programs: HH Gold
Originally Posted by ollieinmelbourne
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...-west-10679806

Apparently suspected Norovirus. What would have caused that? Is that similar to faecal contamination & e coli? Doesn't look or sound good. Anyone stayed there recently?
Not sure what it is!!!! I stayed on 7th July and everything was fine apart from the 3rd lift not working which incidentally wasn't working on my last visit in March
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:00 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Norovirus is a type of highly contagious virus -- causing gastro-intestinal illness. It is a very common food-borne illness, and can cause outbreaks, e.g. on cruise ships.

If a food establishment has an outbreak, it is usually closed until a full inspection and all staff etc are given an all-clear.

tb
Old Feb 21, 2011, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Any recent experiences here? I am staying on Saturday night and hopefully will score an executive upgrade. I'm particularly interested in (1) whether there is afternoon tea in the EL and (2) if the hotel dining options are value for money.

Edit: Just searched and they are only selling exec and family rooms for Saturday! There's a rugby match (Scotland vs Ireland) in Edinburgh on Sunday which is probably filling the place up. The EL might get a bit busy...
Old Feb 21, 2011, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by stifle
Any recent experiences here? I am staying on Saturday night and hopefully will score an executive upgrade. I'm particularly interested in (1) whether there is afternoon tea in the EL and (2) if the hotel dining options are value for money.

Edit: Just searched and they are only selling exec and family rooms for Saturday! There's a rugby match (Scotland vs Ireland) in Edinburgh on Sunday which is probably filling the place up. The EL might get a bit busy...
I haven't stayed since late September (10) but they always used to have Afternoon tea so I would expect it to be there.

I found the room service dining (which can also be served in the Exec Lounge) reasonable value for money. In over 40 stays I don't think I ever ate in the either restaurant (as I almost always stayed alone). As I recall it appeared reasonable value for money. There are quite a few alternative dining options within approximately 10 minutes walk.
Old Feb 28, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA Silver, HH Diamond
Stayed here a 2 weekends ago - we were on the Executive Floor. We had dinner in Camerons which could have been so much better - the space itself if lovely, it is let down by plastic laminated menus, being handed aforementioned menus then being asked what we wanted to eat. Through the meal it felt that table turning but when it came to the bill waited so long that we just handed it to the waitstaff on the way out. The food - the most important bit - could be good but someone in the kitchen needs to TASTE, TASTE and TASTE somemore - it was lacking - shame the menu ideas were interesting but the execution was poor. Oh yes and more comfortable chairs.

For eating in Glasgow we would throughly recommend the Chardon D'Or - we had the tasting menu with wine pairings and it was London quality. We are talking going back up in a few months when the menu changes.

We had massages in the spa which were reasonably priced and very professionally done so kudos to the team there.

The Executive Lounge was quite funny - the it is the first Hilton I have been in where they have a booze monitor although can understand as a four friends were there on a Friday early evening and were trying to drink the bar dry. The staff were lovely - the coffee machine was broken down and the assistant offered to get me a cappucino from the bar. She was super friendly and very helpful we had a long chat about her hometown Salzburg - so thanks. The catering was good in the lounge - my only criticism would be less fried foods in the evening.

All in all - a good stay and we will be back
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Yes the Afternoon tea still being served. Starts at 3pm til 5pm but usually left out later. Free drinks and Canapes 6pm to 8pm. Used to stay regular at this property but stopped after being sick of being hustled out of the Lounge 15 minutes after the last drinks are served at 8pm on a Saturday night
Minsky's Buffet restaurant actually pretty good for hotel fayre. Cameron's nice but agree with the previous post. It used to be all white tableclothes/silver service but changed to a more "modern" concept a few years back.
Old Mar 1, 2011, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
I was unlucky not to be upgraded to the executive floor on Saturday night due to the hotel being fully booked. Checked online and there was indeed nothing available. I asked the desk what my alternative welcome amenity would be since my rate included breakfast; the check-in clerk said we were getting a refurbished room. I expressed my dissatisfaction and she went off for a few minutes before returning and advising that I could have 1000 bonus points and that would be all.

Having arrived at around 1:30pm, our room was not ready so we stored our luggage with the concierge and went off to some shops.

I arrived back at 5pm and went online to update myself on the Irish elections, while watching the England/France match. A word of warning: the free internet for Gold/Diamond is wired and in-room only, unlike several other UK Hiltons which extend it to the Wi-Fi. There was in any case no Wi-Fi service above the 4th floor. If you buy 24 hour internet for Ł15 in-room, you allegedly get a code allowing you to use the wi-fi in the lobby and low floors.

Our room was well-appointed, billed as queen but more of a king size bed. For some reason the air conditioning had been set on Arctic, but a little dial-turning changed that — and I much prefer cold to hot rooms anyway. There was an in-room safe as well as the usual amenities and two bottles of water, and a card signed by the GM.

When Mrs. stifle and I decided to go for dinner, we got to the lift on the 10th floor and heard some swing music before the doors opened. The music got louder as we got further down, and it turned out there was a full band in the lobby welcoming some banking function at ear-splitting volume. Any possibility of us dining in the hotel instantly disappeared with that racket. I expressed my strong displeasure at this in the comment card; obviously the hotel can and should have functions, but it would have been exceptionally difficult to check in over the din and it could surely have had the band in their conferencing suite.

Breakfast was a mixed bag. We went at 8am as we were travelling onwards, although notices around the hotel exhorted people to come for breakfast before 9:30 to avoid congestion. The hot items seemed to have been out for some time and the pastries were hard. There was no normal plain white bread for toasting. The other items were unremarkable.

As I didn't have access (must get diamond!) I can't comment on the lounge beyond confirming what's mentioned above — the opening hours are posted at the door and on weekends it closes at 8pm after the end of happy hour. It is located on the ground floor, which may be a bit tiresome for people on the executive floors (18th-20th).

There are proud banners up saying they are spending Ł1.5m on the lifts, which is entirely necessary for the 20 floors.
Old Mar 3, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb, BA Blue
Ah the lifts! Wondered when someone would comment on them. Waits of 15 to 20 minutes for a lift are not uncommon as there is often 1 of the 3 out of action. A recent stay had 2 out of action and we were invited "back of house" to use the service lift!
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:44 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Is there still a problem with the Lifts at Hilton Grosvenor Glasgow?
Old Aug 12, 2011, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread is about the Hilton Glasgow (and its lift problems). The Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor is a different hotel, and I'm not aware of it having had lift problems (and you seem to have found its thread separately).
Old Aug 12, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by stifle
This thread is about the Hilton Glasgow (and its lift problems). The Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor is a different hotel, and I'm not aware of it having had lift problems (and you seem to have found its thread separately).
Thanks for the clarification.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: PC Spire Amb, HH Diamond, A3 Gold, Cathay Gold
Good stay.All 3 lifts working :)

Had an excellent stay there over the weekend.

Booked standard room and was upgraded as a Diamond to Exec floor with access to executive lounge located around the corner from the reception

On Friday morning the lift to the left was still being fixed but by the evening the hoardings were down and a brand new super fast lift was working. They will prob replace the two remaining lifts in turn but I experienced no delays

Lounge is very good. Afternoon tea with finger sandwiches, deserts like cheesecake, scones vic sponge etc. evening drinks and canapés from 6-8 with small bites. Breakfast was good and you could request other dishes from the kitchen.

Food in the bar was good. Dont know if this is a recent change but wifi is now available for golds and diamonds. Code was taped to the room ticket. As said previously this is a busy hotel with lots of events on in the ballroom , all of which adds to the atmosphere in my opinion.

All in all a pretty good stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.