Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Bangkok {THA}

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2017, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Seems like they are doing some room renovations. I just completed a short stay and the first room I was assigned (upgraded from standard to corner room) was on an executive floor in which about half of the rooms were partitioned off. I inquired with one staff member but he didn't seem to know much, other than to confirm. There was a chemical smell similar to wood varnish, so I asked for a different room and received an upgrade to a beautiful suite.

I'll be very interested to learn more about the renovations.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Looking to finalize my stay here in Sep. Since prepaid rates for HH members is not creeping to 3400 THB all in, I'm inclined to use points. However, I notice when I add a second person to the room the points go from 25K to 27K. What happened to 2nd guest stays free?

Are Thai hotels exempt from this?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: BA KL LH Hilton Marriott
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Looking to finalize my stay here in Sep. Since prepaid rates for HH members is not creeping to 3400 THB all in, I'm inclined to use points. However, I notice when I add a second person to the room the points go from 25K to 27K. What happened to 2nd guest stays free?

The site does not take account of your 2nd Guest Stays Free entitlement. Just book for 1 guest and the second will not be charged at he property.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox

If you book for 1 person, you can bring one more person with you without additional costs.

For some reasons Conrad BKK and all Hiltons in Thailand are flexible about a second person in a room.

Room rates of THB 2.900 ++ and lower are possible, but not often.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thbe
If you book for 1 person, you can bring one more person with you without additional costs.

For some reasons Conrad BKK and all Hiltons in Thailand are flexible about a second person in a room.

Room rates of THB 2.900 ++ and lower are possible, but not often.
Originally Posted by sbams
The site does not take account of your 2nd Guest Stays Free entitlement. Just book for 1 guest and the second will not be charged at he property.
Thanks, will book as advised.

Anyone have hotel (reservations, GM etc) email address? Want to reach out to hotel in advance as this is a honeymoon.

Last edited by mnredfox; Jun 9, 2017 at 4:44 pm
Old Jun 10, 2017, 6:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
I've stayed at the Pen, Sofitel So and Conrad Bangkok over the last couple of years. The Conrad was serviceable but nowhere near the standards of the other two.

I hold Hilton Diamond and Le Club accor Platinum status and booked entry level rooms at both the Sofitel So and Conrad. The Sofitel So utterly blew the Conrad out of the water in terms of hardware, service and club lounge experience (at a similar price).

Given how cheaply you can get a real luxury hotel experience in Bangkok, I really don't think the Conrad is worth the money.

Full review with a ton of photos on my blog: Conrad Bangkok review
Old Jun 10, 2017, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jermyn
I've stayed at the Pen, Sofitel So and Conrad Bangkok over the last couple of years. The Conrad was serviceable but nowhere near the standards of the other two.
Am I right, that you've come to that conclusion with one stay per hotel?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:10 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Correct. I've stayed at all three properties once and found the Conrad to be my least favourite.

Personally, I think one visit is all you need to assess the quality of the hard product. Repeat stays give a clearer picture of service standards but given how many extremely affordable luxury hotels there are in Bangkok; I'm more excited by the prospect of trying the Mandarin, PH or Siam next time, rather than returning to any of my previously visited hotels.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:10 pm

Am I right, that you've come to that conclusion with one stay per hotel?
Do you repeatedly return to a restaurant which you found distinctly mediocre "just to be sure"?

And if you found that one restaurant distinctly outperformed the other on two recent visits, do you say "oh I really wouldn't be able to say at all until I've had a few more visits at each", rather than simply stating the fact that one was far better than the other on your visits?
Old Jun 10, 2017, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by stargold
Do you repeatedly return to a restaurant which you found distinctly mediocre "just to be sure"?

And if you found that one restaurant distinctly outperformed the other on two recent visits, do you say "oh I really wouldn't be able to say at all until I've had a few more visits at each", rather than simply stating the fact that one was far better than the other on your visits?
The difference is, if you rate a hotel or a single stay at a hotel. Both is ok, but if you rate only one stay, you should explicitly state that.

Then it's up to the reader to decide, if three stays at three hotels in BKK in total - one stay per hotel - over two years and up to 3 years ago is enough as a statistical basis to compare hotels and to write about "real luxury experience in BKK".
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:38 pm

Sorry, but I don't agree. Everyone here is simply conveying their experience. There is no requirement on FT, formal or otherwise, that one visits a hotel more than once in order to comment, and therefore no-one should need to "explicitly state" that the opinion is based on a single visit.

I particularly disagree that one needs a "statistical basis" to compare hotels and opine on whether a particular hotel represents a "real luxury experience in BKK". You do not need to visit the Conrad more than once to know that it falls behind its (aspired, at least) peers in most ways.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You do not need to visit the Conrad more than once to know that it falls behind its (aspired, at least) peers in most ways.
+1
I visited once. It was okay. Not really interested in a second stay given all the other Bangkok options.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:31 am

Sorry, but I don't agree. Everyone here is simply conveying their experience. There is no requirement on FT, formal or otherwise, that one visits a hotel more than once in order to comment, and therefore no-one should need to "explicitly state" that the opinion is based on a single visit.

I particularly disagree that one needs a "statistical basis" to compare hotels and opine on whether a particular hotel represents a "real luxury experience in BKK". You do not need to visit the Conrad more than once to know that it falls behind its (aspired, at least) peers in most ways.
I didn't say, that he broke a rule.

Of course everyone is free to order three Uber cars over 2 years and write a comparable car test about them. It's just good to know, how he came to that conclusion.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's just good to know, how he came to that conclusion.
Why, are you considering a stay at this property and looking for input? Or just needling the OP?
Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Why, are you considering a stay at this property and looking for input? Or just needling the OP?
I've just asked Jermyn a question. He answered me and I was fine with his answer. Actually I appreciate his investment of time and his quality approach (concerning his website). I find his pictures and reports really helpful. I also think, that his posting would be even better, if he stated that his ratings are based on one single stay per hotel, because quality and integrity belongs together and transparency supports integrity.

You started needling me based on my question. But you don't have to worry, I would not ask you the same question I've asked Jermyn. Some people has a quality approach not only to all other people in the world, but also to themselves. You should not see that as a personal threat or accusation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.