Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Aspire Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Annual free night certificate with cardmember anniversary. Separate thread here.
  • Additional free night certificate for $60k spent in a calendar year
  • Same spending bonus categories (14x @ Hilton; 7x @ US restaurants, airlines & car rental; 3x @ all other)
  • Diamond status
  • $100 statement credit benefit for some Waldorf/Conrad stays. Separate thread here
New:
  • Additional free night certificate for $30k spent in a calendar year. Effective now so 2023 spending can earn this FNC
  • $200 statement credit at Hilton Resorts in H1 and $200 in H2. Begins 1/1/24 for existing cardholders Resort credit discussion link
  • $50 statement credit every quarter when a ticket is purchased from any airline or AmexTravel.
    No airline selection required. Technically incidentals are ineligible, but it may depend on how they post. Travel agencies ineligible.
    New counter is already showing in Amex login
    Discussion in a separate thread.
  • CLEAR Plus $189 credit per calendar year
  • $800 Cell phone insurance with $50 deductible
  • National Car Executive status
  • New physical card design
  • Annual fee increased from $450 to $550. For existing cardholders, this is effective 2/1/2024
Ending benefits:
  • $250 annual airline incidentals end 12/31/2023
  • $250 credit at Hilton Resorts ends 12/31/2023 Resort credit discussion link
  • Priority pass membership enrollment ends 1/31/2024. Must enroll by phone. If you enrolled before 2/1/2023 membership continues through 1/31/2024. If enrolled after, membership continues through 10/31/2024
Surpass Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Annual free night certificate with $15,000 spend
  • Gold status
New:
  • Added 4x spend on US online retailers (all other categories unchanged -- 12x @ Hilton; 6x @ US restaurants, US supermarkets & US gas stations; 3x @ all other) (for the no-annual-fee card: 7x @ Hilton; 5x @ the three bonus categories; 3x @ all other)
  • $200 credit for Hilton purchases (broken down to $50 per quarter)
  • New physical card design
  • Annual fee increased from $95 to $150. For existing cardholders, this is effective 2/1/2024
  • National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive status
Ending benefits:
  • Priority pass membership enrollment ends 1/31/2024. Must enroll by phone. If you enrolled before 2/1/2023 membership continues through 1/31/2024. If enrolled after, membership continues through 10/31/2024
Hilton Business Card Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Gold status
  • Earn Diamond status at $40k spent
  • Earn 12x at Hilton
New:
  • Added $60 Hilton credit per quarter
  • Added National Executive status
  • Added metal card design
  • Non-Hilton spending earns 5x on the first $100k each calendar year, then 3x
  • Annual fee raised from $95 to $195
Ending:
  • FNC program ends 6/30/24. Must meet spending thresholds by that date.
  • Priority Pass ends 6/30/24. If enrolled before 6/30/23, your PP ends 7/1/24. If enrolled after, your PP ends 3/1/25
  • Old spending bonus categories end 6/30/24
Current offer expires 6/5/24:
  • New member bonus 175k on $8k spent in 6 months
Print Wikipost

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by IIDXias
Posted this in the other thread that got closed but again, based on how I’m reading the current terms & conditions, there should be no issue using the new semi-annual resort credit in one single resort stay in 2024. I see people saying they don’t want to make multiple resort stays in one year but I really don’t see why you would have to. You just need to do one stay in two steps:

1. Book a stay at an eligible Hilton resort by the end of June, for July through December, that costs at least $200 per night. Charge for the first night posts immediately, you get the $200 first half resort credit even though you didn't actually stay at a Hilton resort during the first half of the year.
2. Stay at the resort from July through December, make $200 worth of charges to your room bill (spa, food, whatever). Check out and get charged at least $200 by the resort. Resort credit for the second half of the year posts. Also thinking about it more, I don’t see why this wouldn’t work for simply the rest of your room rate too (if you stayed more than one night) when that gets charged at the end.

I just realized that I really made out well with this resort credit because of this change- my renewal date was like the end of August, I already charged a first night deposit on a resort stay for late October to my card and got the full $250 resort credit for my new membership year, and now apparently it will reset AGAIN to another $200 for January-June 2024, hah.

In general, the resorts I've looked at don't charge the first night, just a credit card guarantee. At those hotels, it would only work with prepaid rates.

If I understand things, I can use my $250 between now and year end and still get the $400 in 2024?

I wish there was a way to figure out which resorts charge one night (on a refundable stay) at booking other than one by one.
jenee likes this.

Last edited by beachfan; Oct 19, 2023 at 5:21 pm
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:36 am

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
Had two Aspire. Will be converting to only one once it is up for renewal. I hate the whole couponing and will try to reduce it as much as possible. Life is too short to keep on thinking about these quarterly, semiannual and annual credits.
josephstern, abcx and boingyman like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by pretzlaff
I just bought $50 on United Travel Bank with the card. We will see what happens.

If that does not work, then I will have to use it for Frontier flights. I just dread thinking about flying on Frontier four times a year.
Unless I am reading incorrectly, the airline quarterly credits don't go into affect until January 1, 2024.
Any purchase you make now would come out of the annual calendar-based $250 airline credit, under the current terms.

If I am incorrect, that means I have $50 x 3 ASPIRES to use in the 4th quarter of 2023.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
I am a bit confused....

My anniversary is coming up (<1month away), any idea if I would still get the $250 hotel credit if I use it before 1/1/24?
Yes. Some answers in the closed thread wikipost. Also some details in a Hilton email with subject, "Updates to your Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card."
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
I am a bit confused....

My anniversary is coming up (<1month away), any idea if I would still get the $250 hotel credit if I use it before 1/1/24?
My understanding is that you'd have the $250 credit, but only until 12/31/2023. Use it or lose it.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerAVL
Also it seems like every travel card these days gives PP. So they are going to be overcrowded anyway.
Indeed, given the trend that every card and its brother is giving away PP, it's surprising that a premium card is cutting it. I wonder if it's starting a new trend. The only PP value I get in the US is restaurants, which no Amex card offers. In Asia, PP lounges are wonderful.

Also lets be honest here, most hotel loyalty programs are worthless in the US with them giving status from credit cards and some hotels just ignoring the benefits anyway.
Agree that they aren't worth much any more to me. When I first got hotel status, I reveled in "exclusive" benefits like free breakfast, room upgrade, and lounge access. Today, breakfast means almost nothing to me; I skip it in daily life, and I actually rather enjoy HH's dining credit instead of free breakfast in the US; I can use it on another meal than the breakfast I don't want, such as the wonderful lobster burger on the rooftop of WA LA. I do still get some upgrades with the various programs, even in the US, but it's usually just a better view, which is still nice, but perhaps not critical for the <5 nights a year I stay with Hilton (mostly at aspirational properties to burn the FNC). In terms of lounge, I almost forgot they existed (maybe they don't); in the old days, most of my stays had a lounge; these days, I think just 2 out of my last ~20 hotels even had a lounge - but I wasn't eligible for both as 1 was IHG and the other was using a FNC from another family member, so exactly 0 lounges in 50 nights despite having Marriott Platinum and Hilton Diamond.

In Asia, the benefits are still nice, but I also no longer care for the free breakfast that once enchanted me. There's just much better food on the streets of KL, Singapore, Jakarta, HK, etc for a few bucks, than the solid but ultimately boring fares in most hotel breakfasts. Only at extremely exclusive properties like Conrad Bora Bora and Maldives properties does the breakfast benefit shine, but it's no longer practical for me to go there annually.

It's a long way of saying yep, program benefits don't do much for me nowadays. Still, the card's principle value proposition for me remains the FNC and the 2 credits, and that's what I will be evaluating on whether to keep what for several years was my favorite card. These days, my favorite card is the Ritz.
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:44 am

Talk about bad timing on me getting this card a few weeks ago...Personally losing priority pass is a pretty big loss for international traveling since I was most likely going to cancel my Amex Plat card. I know this change is brand new, but it says the $250 airline fee credit is still effective until 12/31/23. What if I haven't chosen my airline yet? Doesn't seem like I can any longer on the app. That's what I get for debating between Southwest vs UA.

Also anyone have a list of eligible hotels where the $400 resort credit would apply?
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:46 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by scubadu
Look, I'm not trying to turn this thread into a Marriott vs. Hilton debate, that is off topic from this thread. My only point was that the its a 22% increase in the annual fee with, frankly, not that impressive of changes. Though admittedly, the changes (like most changes) work well for some and not as well for others. Everyone has to do their own calculus.

Regards
I mean, if you can use the credits, it is still a +$50 card. That's actually better than I was expecting.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Originally Posted by boingyman
Talk about bad timing on me getting this card a few weeks ago...Personally losing priority pass is a pretty big loss for international traveling since I was most likely going to cancel my Amex Plat card. I know this change is brand new, but it says the $250 airline fee credit is still effective until 12/31/23. What if I haven't chosen my airline yet? Doesn't seem like I can any longer on the app. That's what I get for debating between Southwest vs UA.

Also anyone have a list of eligible hotels where the $400 resort credit would apply?
https://www.hilton.com/en/locations/resorts/
boingyman likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:00 pm

From what I can see, the CLEAR credit comes into effect immediately for existing cardholders and the promotion for new CLEAR members to get a $75 Uber voucher should be expiring tomorrow. That means for anyone who doesn't already have CLEAR but can now get it for free with the Aspire could get a free $75 Uber voucher if signing up today. Anyone see any issues with this?
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
In general, the ones I've looked at don't charge the first night, just a credit card guarantee. At those hotels, it would only work with prepaid rates.

If I understand things, I can use my $250 between now and year end and still get the $400 in 2024?

I wish there was a way to figure out which resorts charge one night (on a refundable stay) at booking other than one by one.
Unless they changed it with this update (doubt it), you can’t use the prepaid rates for this credit since you get charged by Hilton corporate instead of the individual resort. I don’t know if there’s any way to tell who charges a whole first night as a deposit and who doesn’t besides trial-and-error; the location I’ve used this resort credit at for the last two years is the Conrad at Resorts World Vegas, and they definitely do. So I’ll probably just do that again next year to be honest
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by scubadu
Look, clearly it seems you have a little Marriott chip on the shoulder and that is fine. We all have to find what works for us. And Marriott isn't our prime program (Hyatt is). Though I respect your opinion I simply do not agree with you.
On the contrary, Marriott has been my primary program for the last 2 years and I'm quite happy with it (with Platinum Elite conferred by Brilliant while paying the old AF this year). I just think the Brilliant card paled greatly and continues to pale compared to Aspire.

Finally, no, the original Brilliant card did not have a dining credit, it was added in lieu of the previous $300 Marriott credit. One can certainly argue that the Marriott credit was preferable to the dining credit, but it most certainly was not a feature of the orginal card. If you are going to come in hot with the negativity, at least make sure you are actually correct. (Source: https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...dining-credit/)
My mistake. I thought they switched to the dining credit before the CC refresh. In any case, it's still $300 Marriott with higher fee vs $600 Hilton with lower fee.

And with the respect to the dining credit, I just find this statement: ... laughable. I mean if you "eat out a lot" how can this credit possibly take effort to use? I don't know where you live but I just had lunch with a friend and I had a glass of water and a chicken sandwich and it was $18 before tax and tip. It's quite literally the easiest to use of all the Amex "coupon book" credits and seems far easier than having to line up two specific "resort" stays twice a year.
Because I have to remember to take it out of the sock drawer and put it in my wallet then put it back into the sock drawer every month. I like to keep my wallet thin so it doesn't make my front pocket bulge. A lot of places I eat at don't take Amex (Asian restaurants, for example). And if one purchase doesn't use up all $25 then I have to make another purchase later, but not more than necessary. You get the point. FWIW it's been taking up space in my wallet for about 15 days this month and I've yet to use it.

The easiest to use for me would be something you do once a year and be done.

Look, I'm not trying to turn this thread into a Marriott vs. Hilton debate, that is off topic from this thread. My only point was that the its a 22% increase in the annual fee with, frankly, not that impressive of changes.
I don't disagree, but you used Brilliant as an example of a card that got a lot more value with increased AF, which I also don't disagree with but wanted to point out that card simply sucked before (I only got it for the SUB), and even after the refresh is still weaker than Aspire (to me anyway).

Last edited by italdesign; Oct 19, 2023 at 12:15 pm
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583
That's interesting how some double tree hotels show up.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Been researching whether I'll keep the card and came across the Hilton Surpass card which offers 6x points at supermarkets and 4x points for online purchases. Would've been nice to see these categories on the Aspire.

I may switch to Surpass as I'm struggling to find value in Diamond vs Gold these days (exec lounge access seems to be about it). And with me booking via OTAs at Hilton more and more - it doesn't appear I'll be enjoying either status level. May just cancel when next AF hits mid-year and then re-apply for Surpass if the OTA pricing doesn't remain lower (to re-gain Gold status). It's nice to be able to recoup the $550 via quarterly air and semi annual resort hotel bookings - but there are times when one doesn't and then it becomes a frustration. I will miss the free night cert though, has come in handy in prior years.
demkr likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by italdesign
<snip>Because I have to remember to take it out of the sock drawer and put it in my wallet then put it back into the sock drawer every month. I like to keep my wallet thin so it doesn't make my front pocket bulge. A lot of places I eat at don't take Amex (Asian restaurants, for example). And if one purchase doesn't use up all $25 then I have to make another purchase later, but not more than necessary. You get the point. FWIW it's been taking up space in my wallet for about 15 days this month and I've yet to use it.
Honestly, it almost feels like you just want to make this hard. I mean put it in a digital wallet (e.g. Apple/Google Pay) on your phone. (yes, yes, I know "the places you go don't take digital wallet payments..." )

Sure, obviously a "one and done" is easier, but that is the trend for these cards (see changes to the very card you are claiming is superior, which we are currently discussing), but the Bonvoy Dining credit is drop dead simple to use, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

Regards
IndyHoosier likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.