Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
Aspire Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Annual free night certificate with cardmember anniversary. Separate thread here.
  • Additional free night certificate for $60k spent in a calendar year
  • Same spending bonus categories (14x @ Hilton; 7x @ US restaurants, airlines & car rental; 3x @ all other)
  • Diamond status
  • $100 statement credit benefit for some Waldorf/Conrad stays. Separate thread here
New:
  • Additional free night certificate for $30k spent in a calendar year. Effective now so 2023 spending can earn this FNC
  • $200 statement credit at Hilton Resorts in H1 and $200 in H2. Begins 1/1/24 for existing cardholders Resort credit discussion link
  • $50 statement credit every quarter when a ticket is purchased from any airline or AmexTravel.
    No airline selection required. Technically incidentals are ineligible, but it may depend on how they post. Travel agencies ineligible.
    New counter is already showing in Amex login
    Discussion in a separate thread.
  • CLEAR Plus $189 credit per calendar year
  • $800 Cell phone insurance with $50 deductible
  • National Car Executive status
  • New physical card design
  • Annual fee increased from $450 to $550. For existing cardholders, this is effective 2/1/2024
Ending benefits:
  • $250 annual airline incidentals end 12/31/2023
  • $250 credit at Hilton Resorts ends 12/31/2023 Resort credit discussion link
  • Priority pass membership enrollment ends 1/31/2024. Must enroll by phone. If you enrolled before 2/1/2023 membership continues through 1/31/2024. If enrolled after, membership continues through 10/31/2024
Surpass Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Annual free night certificate with $15,000 spend
  • Gold status
New:
  • Added 4x spend on US online retailers (all other categories unchanged -- 12x @ Hilton; 6x @ US restaurants, US supermarkets & US gas stations; 3x @ all other) (for the no-annual-fee card: 7x @ Hilton; 5x @ the three bonus categories; 3x @ all other)
  • $200 credit for Hilton purchases (broken down to $50 per quarter)
  • New physical card design
  • Annual fee increased from $95 to $150. For existing cardholders, this is effective 2/1/2024
  • National Car Rental Emerald Club Executive status
Ending benefits:
  • Priority pass membership enrollment ends 1/31/2024. Must enroll by phone. If you enrolled before 2/1/2023 membership continues through 1/31/2024. If enrolled after, membership continues through 10/31/2024
Hilton Business Card Benefits (T&C here)
Unchanged:
  • Gold status
  • Earn Diamond status at $40k spent
  • Earn 12x at Hilton
New:
  • Added $60 Hilton credit per quarter
  • Added National Executive status
  • Added metal card design
  • Non-Hilton spending earns 5x on the first $100k each calendar year, then 3x
  • Annual fee raised from $95 to $195
Ending:
  • FNC program ends 6/30/24. Must meet spending thresholds by that date.
  • Priority Pass ends 6/30/24. If enrolled before 6/30/23, your PP ends 7/1/24. If enrolled after, your PP ends 3/1/25
  • Old spending bonus categories end 6/30/24
Current offer expires 6/5/24:
  • New member bonus 175k on $8k spent in 6 months
Print Wikipost

Hilton AMEX Card Redesign; Higher Annual Fee; New Benefits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by ChurnieEls
Eh Marriott Platinum is > Hilton Diamond tbh. It's marginal but the guaranteed late check out swings it.

The comment re the cert being unlimited for HH (assuming there's a standard room) is a fair point but it's far easier to wash out $300 of the fee with the $30/month credit, the Aspire needs a lot more work for that even if it makes sense for some people.
I was about to post the same thing. I am both Hilton Diamond and Marriott Plat (mostly via CCs) and I'd give the nod to Marriott Plat over Hilton Diamond by a hair. For late check out, somewhat better room upgrades on average and the Hilton breakfast benefit has largely stopped me staying at their US properties at this point if it isn't a property where everybody gets a breakfast benefit. Also another benefit of the Brilliant is it gives you elite night credits and they can stack with the business card elite nights so it is possible to become lifetime Plat pretty much with a couple of CCs (have some stays obviously speeds it up).
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zolor23
From what I can see, the CLEAR credit comes into effect immediately for existing cardholders and the promotion for new CLEAR members to get a $75 Uber voucher should be expiring tomorrow. That means for anyone who doesn't already have CLEAR but can now get it for free with the Aspire could get a free $75 Uber voucher if signing up today. Anyone see any issues with this?
That sounds interesting. Does CLEAR credit work for cardholder only or for anyone? I have CLEAR already but I can sign my SO up.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA PLT LT & 2MM, HH D, MAR PLT EL LT
As a hilton timeshare owner, some of the resorts annual maitenance fees will qualify for $200 spend. Luckily I own at these resorts. Since I have 2 payments each year, I guess I will be doing one in Dec and then one in new year to cover both semi annual periods.

I have the PP from CSR instead, since it still offers restaurants at airports, unlike this AMEX offer, I was always using that version of the PP and not this AMEX, so no real loss for me.

I am interested in seeing is UA travel bank still works. Someone tried it earlier today, I'll be waiting for an update. I do like that it is on airfare, and not just incidentals, but $50 a quarter, does not always flow with the timing for me.

CLEAR is a plus that I will take advantage of, since IAH does have it, and that is my home base. So is the phone insurance.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Zolor23
From what I can see, the CLEAR credit comes into effect immediately for existing cardholders and the promotion for new CLEAR members to get a $75 Uber voucher should be expiring tomorrow. That means for anyone who doesn't already have CLEAR but can now get it for free with the Aspire could get a free $75 Uber voucher if signing up today. Anyone see any issues with this?
This is what I did.

My AF just posted so I chatted in to retention and the offer was a little better than I expected (80K points for $3K spend in 3 months). I'll keep the card another year and it's an easy cancel after that.
P Martin likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:48 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Correct me if I am wrong but the "enrollment date" for priority pass is the original date not the renewal date, correct? So two examples

1-new card 7/1/2022 and erolled in priority pass. On 7/1/2023 my renewal hits and fee applies. Priority pass now says expires 7/2024. I read it I lose my PP January 2024.

2- new card 7/1/2023 and enrolled in priority pass. Priority pass expires 7/2024. I read it my PP now expires October 2024.

This seems wacky to me....

Priority pass was what kept us with the surpass card. IAD based and there were always a few options that were good (AF and TK) and only once were we turned away. DFW was an annual family trip and the lounge there worked for us too.

Last edited by fwfdan; Oct 19, 2023 at 1:00 pm
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Having had a night to sleep over these changes, it’s not a significant change for us, and that is somewhat of a relief. I will be able to easily turn the $200 (4x$50) air fare credit into AS wallet credit. The resort credit should work okay for us, too. We have CLEAR via the Plat, PP via the CSR. In the end, the Aspire continues to be a free Diamond membership pass with a few hoops to jump through.
Abidjan and krazykanuck like this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 12:58 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I apologize if this has been answered already, but I am seeing the new benefits in my account already. It says I have used $0 of $50 for the quarter airfare credit. Does this mean there is a credit being given for Q4 2023 or is this for Q1 2024?
Old Oct 19, 2023, 1:01 pm

Hmm, I haven't used my resort credit yet but don't have any trips planned before EOY.

Do I have to stay at the resort and charge it my room in order for the credit to kick in? Or can I do this without the room charge?
Old Oct 19, 2023, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
That sounds interesting. Does CLEAR credit work for cardholder only or for anyone? I have CLEAR already but I can sign my SO up.
It works for anyone in my experience on other Amex cards. They just see the charge from Clear and credit it. They have zero idea who it is for.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 1:05 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by pretzlaff
I just bought $50 on United Travel Bank with the card. We will see what happens.
Originally Posted by diesteldorf
Unless I am reading incorrectly, the airline quarterly credits don't go into affect until January 1, 2024.
Any purchase you make now would come out of the annual calendar-based $250 airline credit, under the current terms.

If I am incorrect, that means I have $50 x 3 ASPIRES to use in the 4th quarter of 2023.
I think that pretzlaff has it right: For those of us who have already used our full $250 for calendar year 2023, we are now sitting (until end of 2023) on an additional $50 a card. If you are in this category and go onto the Amex web site for the card, you should see a $50 tracker for the current (4Q) quarter.

In which case, I very much appreciate pretzlaff's potentially taking one for the team, and look forward to the result.
diesteldorf likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I received an e-mail message today with updates from Priority Pass. The issue with Hilton Honors American Express Cards was not even mentioned in what was otherwise generally useless information.

How ironic.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 1:10 pm

Looking for clarification: I already spent $60k this year on my Aspire to earn the free night. Can I earn another night this year if I spend $30k more from today? Did the counter completely reset so I can earn two more nights if I spend another $60k? Or is my free night earning already capped out with just the one since I exceeded $60k before the changes?

I can not get the tracking to come up on the website for the spend goal (it disappeared once I hit it earlier in the year) and don't know how to get it back.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by boingyman
That's interesting how some double tree hotels show up.
Indeed there are various brands that are Resorts for the purpose of the credit; I used almost all $250 in January at the Doubletree near Sea World Orlando and the credit processed seamlessly.

Losing PP is a wash because I use the Chase Sapphire Reserve for its better PP access which includes restaurants (flying out of CLE, we have a "The Club" now that takes PP, but I like getting a "free" meal at Bar Symon).

The airline credit details mention that it is not valid for "cash equivalents"--wonder if this technically prohibits using it for UA Travel Bank. UA usually processes that as a transaction with a ticket number, so who knows if AMEX can tell or will care (as they haven't stopped it for years now except the one blip a couple years ago). They seem hell-bent on breakage of that credit; instead of people doing a transaction in January to burn it, now people have to do smaller chunks four times a year and most assuredly will forget at least once.

I suppose the Clear credit is OK if it makes it free; I already use the CSR for the Precheck credit so stacking Clear and Precheck might be worthwhile.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; UA Gold; Marriott Gold; Accor Gold;
Originally Posted by mrfussion
Looking for clarification: I already spent $60k this year on my Aspire to earn the free night. Can I earn another night this year if I spend $30k more from today? Did the counter completely reset so I can earn two more nights if I spend another $60k? Or is my free night earning already capped out with just the one since I exceeded $60k before the changes?

I can not get the tracking to come up on the website for the spend goal (it disappeared once I hit it earlier in the year) and don't know how to get it back.
I was just about to say the same thing... I am about $10K (as of yesterday) away from the $60K spend for 2023. The counter is gone and I have no idea if I should try and reach this or not now! Nor do i know where I stand on the spend.

No counter for the $30K spend either. The T/C's say that you have until Dec. 31 24 to complete the $30K spend, so if you do that in the 23, you will for sure get a free night.

I guess I will have to call and find out in a few days.
Old Oct 19, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Does the $50 flight credit each quarter expire if you don't use it during the quarter, or does it roll over to the next quarter and combine with the new $50 credit? I'm guessing that it doesn't roll over, which makes the new benefit less attractive..
Kerrirdh likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.