Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Using Fire Stick at Hilton Properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2023, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UAL- 1k, Marriot Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Plat.Hilton Gold VIP

I’ve recently stayed at a pair of Hilton properties in the Midwest. When I arrive for my M-F stays I typically connect my Fire Stick and I’m able to watch my local channels and streaming services.
About a month ago I went through my routine (including ExpressVPN) and I received an error message when attempting to connect to the HHonors network. I assumed it was a “user” issue and just went with the flow. I returned from vacation and went to another Hilton property and the same thing happened. I brought the Fire Stick home, tested it and it performed fine.
Does anyone know if this is a Hilton cybersecurity issue or something else. Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 20, 2023, 12:54 am

I've had no issues using my Fire TV stick at Hiltons in Europe, including last weekend. I'm not using a VPN though - but from your description it sounds like the problem is just connecting to the hotel Wi-Fi, so before you connect the VPN?
Old Aug 20, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Another option:
1. Android (this is what I do): use a USB-C --> HDMI cable & run the streaming service directly on your phone.
2. IPhone: Apple probably has a similar cable solution for thier proprietary iPhone port
leatherheadiowa likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 9:15 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Sometimes the Fire stick doesn’t like the logon screen for Hilton WiFi, and gives an error even when other devices are connecting fine. The way around this is to connect to another network (for example tethered to your phone) and open a webpage on the Silk browser. Then switch connections to the Hilton WiFi and then quickly go back to Silk and click on a link. This should open the WiFi login page in Silk and let you re-enter the details without hitting the error. Doing all that is easier said than done and normally takes a few goes.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by rabilancia
2. IPhone: Apple probably has a similar cable solution for thier proprietary iPhone port
Yes, there is a Lightning to HDMI adapter from Apple.

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/M...tal-av-adapter

I usually have it (and an HDMI cable) in my travel cable bag.
leatherheadiowa likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by leatherheadiowa
Does anyone know if this is a Hilton cybersecurity issue or something else. Thanks in advance!
I don't believe it is specific to Hilton, but there are definitely hotels where the firewalls block people from using VPNs.

It can also be tricky to get TV sticks through the login process for the Wifi.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 11:29 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
We just stayed at the Doubletree in downtown Victoria, BC, and the TV was attached in an indented area in the wall rendering the HDMI ports inaccessible. This physical problem seems to be the most frequent barrier to firestick use when traveling.

When selecting the HHonors internet network, leave enough time for the firestick to process the login interrupt.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2023, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.950MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I use a TP-Link travel router at most hotels. It's usually easier than trying to log on with a streaming device such as a firestick.

Only drawback I run into is that Marriott forbids routers on their hotel networks, but mostly Marriott allows for multi day logins.

David
Old Aug 22, 2023, 7:00 am

Another option:
1. Android (this is what I do): use a USB-C --> HDMI cable & run the streaming service directly on your phone.
How does this work? Does it basically cast your entire phone onto the screen? Can you turn your phone screen off while streaming from your phone?
Old Aug 22, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: MileagePlus Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Schnit
How does this work? Does it basically cast your entire phone onto the screen? Can you turn your phone screen off while streaming from your phone?
On my Samsung Galaxy:
  • plug in the cable & it works as long the TV is set to the correct HDMI port. Sometimes you'll get a prompt on the TV to switch HDMI connections
  • Some TVs can do it wirelessly: from "quick settings" --> "SmartView"
With the cable it basically mirrors the screen--you'll probably want to place the phone in landscape mode.

With Smart View you can turn off the screen & do a lot more. Details HERE.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 7:40 am

On my Samsung Galaxy:
  • plug in the cable & it works as long the TV is set to the correct HDMI port. Sometimes you'll get a prompt on the TV to switch HDMI connections
  • Some TVs can do it wirelessly: from "quick settings" --> "SmartView"
With the cable it basically mirrors the screen--you'll probably want to place the phone in landscape mode.

With Smart View you can turn off the screen & do a lot more. Details HERE.
Interesting...will need to check if this works with a Pixel too. Thanks
Old Aug 29, 2023, 2:38 pm

I've never tried a Fire Stick, but I've tried Chromecast with Google TV (the newer one with the remote) and a few different Rokus. I've never had luck with the Chromecast, at either Hilton or Marriott properties. It never knows how to handle the captive wifi portal. Roku on the other hand works almost every time, so that's what I use when I travel (even though I prefer Chromecast at home).

I've tried using a travel router to bypass it, but in my experience it's usually more hassle than it's worth, and doesn't always work without a bunch of tinkering. Unless you're lucky enough to get a room with a working ethernet jack (properties from the early 2000s are most likely to have that I'd estimate, and seems more common at places like Homewood Suites). I'd rather just use the Roku and the regular wifi.

EDIT: 2024 Update, Fire Sticks also work well at Hiltons for me, they're able to handle the captive wifi portals in my experience. I've switched from Roku to Fire Stick in my hotel bag because Fire TV has more apps like Twitch, Channels DVR, and SmartTube. I guess I haven't had the chance to try at other hotel chains besides Hilton since switching, but the wifi setup is pretty similar at chain hotels so I imagine it will work at other chains too (like Roku does).

Last edited by doorknob60; May 9, 2024 at 2:33 pm
Old Aug 29, 2023, 3:19 pm

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Does anyone know a reason why even the newest Hilton properties don't have native Chromecast support like other chains had for almost a decade now? I'm currently staying at a Canopy (supposedly a brand oriented towards younger crowd) hotel opened in 2019 and nada...
Old May 8, 2024, 9:23 pm

this is the answer you want

Originally Posted by lcylocal
Sometimes the Fire stick doesn’t like the logon screen for Hilton WiFi, and gives an error even when other devices are connecting fine. The way around this is to connect to another network (for example tethered to your phone) and open a webpage on the Silk browser. Then switch connections to the Hilton WiFi and then quickly go back to Silk and click on a link. This should open the WiFi login page in Silk and let you re-enter the details without hitting the error. Doing all that is easier said than done and normally takes a few goes.
let me restate this step by step how i did it:
tether your firestick to a hotspot (iphone)
go to silk browser on your firestick
let default bing page show up
switch fire stick to hilton network
press home button, return to silk browser
reload bing or click on a link on the bing page, it should not work
ignore and dismiss the hilton splash page when it pops up (it should still give you the error or the spinning wheel)
go to the web address bar and type in an address (www.yahoo.com)
the hilton splash address should be showing in the web bar and the splash page should show on silk
connect as usual!
Old May 9, 2024, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Gold Regular Joe Everywhere Else
I have successfully used my ROKU at Hilton hotels in the past without issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.