Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

London Hiltons now requesting corporate ID if using codes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Hiltons now requesting corporate ID if using codes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2022, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Your last point is very incorrect. Many, if not most and my companys too, are personally issued and carries no mention of the company name. This is true for many of the big consulting and tech firms.
Agree. None of my corp. cards ever listed the company name.
Old Sep 16, 2022, 10:42 am

The AMEX Corporate Card website default image literally shows three AMEX corporate cards with company names on them. This is the card of choice for many major professional services firms, and the issuer is advertising this feature.

Old Sep 16, 2022, 12:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
My current and previous companies both put the company name on the credit card. F100/F500 companies. Current card actually has the company logo on it.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 1:18 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I'm literally holding in my hand my corporate card from a company you likely were thinking of as you typed that, emblazoned with the names of both myself and my employer. I do not work for a small company either, I assure you.

Some companies do and some companies don't do this, but the blanket assertion that corporate cards do not bear the name of the employer is incorrect. Previous employers of mine have had the same configuration, so I would not call it "rare" within professional services, either.
I stated many if not most, not all. Likewise the blanket assertion that the opposite applies is incorrect as well.

Originally Posted by arlflyer
The AMEX Corporate Card website default image literally shows three AMEX corporate cards with company names on them. This is the card of choice for many major professional services firms, and the issuer is advertising this feature.
Funny you should mention AmEx - my corporate AmEx has my name on it only and not the companys.

Lets just agree that it varies, shall we..
Old Sep 18, 2022, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Lets just agree that it varies, shall we..
That is fair. Was just pushing back on an initial position that a corporate-issued CC wouldn't be a means of validation. For many of us at many big companies, but of course not all, it is a viable option.
wizla likes this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 7:40 am

Programs: Amex Plat UK, BA, Diamond HHonors
Hello

I am resurrecting this old thread rather than starting a new one, as the topic is kinda similar.

I run a Consultancy and work with clients across both Public and Private sectors. Many years ago (15?) a UK Government client (they are still an active client) shared a Hilton Corporate Code, which was to be used for stays required when working with them. This code gives access to H M UK Government Rates (but not 'On Duty' rates). I use this code regularly across the UK (mainly London) without issue, staying most months at various London Hiltons.

Around 15 years ago, I often stayed at the Hilton Newcastle Gateshead for this client - for around 3 years I was there several times a month and indeed qualified as Diamond there. I always stayed using the same Corporate rate, booked directly on Hilton.com using the provided Corp code.

Yesterday I booked using this same code (obviously a higher rate given the time that has passed!) for the Hilton Newcastle Gateshead. Today, I received a snotty email informing me that:
We can see that you have booked on Government on Duty rate, if this is not the case please do let me know.

In preparation for your upcoming stay, I would just like to advise that we will require government ID to be shown upon check-in. If there are any other guests staying with you, they will also be required to show government ID upon check-in.
Where to start with this one?!
  1. I run a business that provides Professional Services to this government client and use this Hilton Corp Code under their direction - it is not possible nor practical to have someone in the Government department book travel on my behalf based on the nature of the services provided.
  2. I do not work for the Government (I work with them) nor own a 'Government ID'
  3. The ID card that I have to access client sites has (very deliberately) no branding - it's just a photo with a coloured border (and, of course, a chip to provide access). Looking at the card, there is no way of knowing anything other than my picture.
  4. Asking for Government ID from any second person in the room is beyond belief - I have booked the room, I am staying in the room, and I am staying to fulfil a requirement of the client - what I do after this is absolutely nothing to do with the hotel.
I called the hotel and spoke with someone who was adamant that I had booked a Government On Business rate and would need to show Government ID. I explained that there was a difference between having access to a Corp code which allowed access to HM UK Government rates (which I have done regularly for 15 years) and booking an OnBusiness Government rate directly by clicking the box on Hilton.com (which I have never done). She wasn't moving and insisted this was the same thing.

I don't understand how this hotel specifically views this rate as 'On Business' when 1 - it is not, and 2 - no other hotels have commented on this at any point over the last 15 years.

Further, I have no idea what ID I would show (the person at the hotel wasn't clear on this either). Unlike the previous posters above, I do not directly work for this department and couldn't even send a 'branded' email. I don't want to bother my client contact with this issue if it can at all be avoided.

So - to the point - how do I verify my entitlement to this rate? The concept of showing a 'Government ID' is frankly outdated in the UK - aside from the NHS, I don't imagine there are many (any?) government departments (aside perhaps from the military) that have a great big logo/badge advertising that you are infact working with the Government - this is in itself a significant security risk.

Needless to say, I cancelled the reservation - but this isn't really the point.

Any ideas on what has changed? Or just one property being precious about their average room rate?
Old Nov 3, 2023, 8:05 am

Programs: UA Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by travelfreakuk
Any ideas on what has changed? Or just one property being precious about their average room rate?
Maybe its that particular rate that they have seen misuse of?

Im actually due to stay at that Hilton in Newcastle tomorrow night - my employer doesnt have a corporate code we can use on the app, but there is a specific Hilton.com URL we use for reservations (which is accessible not just from our corporate network) - booked a rate for tomorrow night for around 50% of what the cheapest Honors rate was - I have not had any communication from the hotel requesting proof of eligibility. In my case however I would be able to provide an ID if requested at checkin, which is clearly problematic for you.

My spouse and I usually use his corporate leisure rate for reservations at Hiltons around the world and we have never once been asked for evidence of working for that employer, even when the reservations are in my name.

Im sure there are some out there who frequently abuse the system to an excessive level so perhaps they have just put in place certain safeguards to try to prevent.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by mattg85

Im actually due to stay at that Hilton in Newcastle tomorrow night - my employer doesnt have a corporate code we can use on the app, but there is a specific Hilton.com URL we use for reservations (which is accessible not just from our corporate network) - booked a rate for tomorrow night for around 50% of what the cheapest Honors rate was - I have not had any communication from the hotel requesting proof of eligibility. In my case however I would be able to provide an ID if requested at checkin, which is clearly problematic for you.

My spouse and I usually use his corporate leisure rate for reservations at Hiltons around the world and we have never once been asked for evidence of working for that employer, even when the reservations are in my name.

Im sure there are some out there who frequently abuse the system to an excessive level so perhaps they have just put in place certain safeguards to try to prevent.
Thanks for the prompt response. It's odd - the difference in the rate I booked and the next cheapest Hhonors rate was only 20! It just doesn't seem worth the effort of protecting even if I had, somehow acquired the code when I shouldn't have. Do please report back on your stay - will be interesting to note if you are also asked for some ID.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 2:53 pm

booking an OnBusiness Government rate directly by clicking the box on Hilton.com (which I have never done).
The Government rates box on hilton.com works for the US & Canadian governments only.

Hilton Corporate Code, which was to be used for stays required when working with them. This code gives access to H M UK Government Rates (but not 'On Duty' rates)
These are the same thing. In the UK, HM UK GOVERNMENT is the corporate rate for UK Government employees and contractors staying on government business. This is often a fixed negotiated rate for that hotel.

​​​​​​​There is separately a UK Public Sector rate, which allows UK public sector employees to access a 30% discount off the prevailing rate of the hotel for their own leisure stays.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​I called the hotel and spoke with someone who was adamant that I had booked a Government On Business rate and would need to show Government ID. I explained that there was a difference between having access to a Corp code which allowed access to HM UK Government rates (which I have done regularly for 15 years) and booking an OnBusiness Government rate directly by clicking the box on Hilton.com (which I have never done). She wasn't moving and insisted this was the same thing.
Unfortunately the hotel was correct, and the terms of the HM UK Government rate do stipulate it is for Government business only and eligibility may be checked. As you have experienced it rarely is in practice, but the hotel is entitled to check. As you arent an employee, the only practical way to comply would be to have your client draft a letter confirming you are contracted to a UK Government department and are eligible for the rate.
trooper and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Nov 3, 2023, 2:54 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Do hotels get reimbursed by the government for the discount this rate provides, or do they just have to suck it up on the assumption it drives extra business? Are they obliged to have government rates at all?
Old Nov 3, 2023, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
Do hotels get reimbursed by the government for the discount this rate provides, or do they just have to suck it up on the assumption it drives extra business? Are they obliged to have government rates at all?
Hahaha, no. The only reimbursement they get is when the government pays for the room, and then it's only at the agreed upon room rate.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT stillgame or should I say Tam?
Old Nov 4, 2023, 10:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Smile

Originally Posted by mattg85

but there is a specific Hilton.com URL we use for reservations (which is accessible not just from our corporate network) - booked a rate for tomorrow night for around 50% of what the cheapest Honors rate was - I have not had any communication from the hotel requesting proof of eligibility. .
Sharing is caring
Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:52 am

Hey stillgame thanks for the response.

Originally Posted by stillgame
The Government rates box on hilton.com works for the US & Canadian governments only.

These are the same thing. In the UK, HM UK GOVERNMENT is the corporate rate for UK Government employees and contractors staying on government business. This is often a fixed negotiated rate for that hotel.
The code I have is UK wide - it offers rates at most hotels (although not all) - maybe as there is a huge DWP presence near Newcastle, they have a better negotiated rate which is why they are being extra precious? I am still not clear what ID even an employee would show.

There is separately a UK Public Sector rate, which allows UK public sector employees to access a 30% discount off the prevailing rate of the hotel for their own leisure stays.
Is this a link or a Corp code? I wonder if this is extended to contractors etc too? (and, once again, how I / anyone with a security pass similar to mine would prove this?)

Unfortunately the hotel was correct, and the terms of the HM UK Government rate do stipulate it is for Government business only and eligibility may be checked. As you have experienced it rarely is in practice, but the hotel is entitled to check. As you arent an employee, the only practical way to comply would be to have your client draft a letter confirming you are contracted to a UK Government department and are eligible for the rate.
It's just so strange that this is the first time, literally, in 15 years that I have had any issue. I wonder if a letter would work in perpetuity? Seems like a real effort. Another bright idea from someone who thinks that all Gov travel can be booked through the official portals - in reality, this can never be the case.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by muzthe42nd
Hahaha, no. The only reimbursement they get is when the government pays for the room, and then it's only at the agreed upon room rate.
In my case, this is just a rate which generates a hotel invoice along with any subsistence etc, which is then presented to the client at the end of the month. There is no appetite in my case for any of my travel to be handled internally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.