FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London Hiltons now requesting corporate ID if using codes
Old Nov 3, 2023, 2:53 pm
stillgame

Originally Posted by travelfreakuk
booking an OnBusiness Government rate directly by clicking the box on Hilton.com (which I have never done).
The Government rates box on hilton.com works for the US & Canadian governments only.

Hilton Corporate Code, which was to be used for stays required when working with them. This code gives access to H M UK Government Rates (but not 'On Duty' rates)
These are the same thing. In the UK, HM UK GOVERNMENT is the corporate rate for UK Government employees and contractors staying on government business. This is often a fixed negotiated rate for that hotel.

​​​​​​​There is separately a UK Public Sector rate, which allows UK public sector employees to access a 30% discount off the prevailing rate of the hotel for their own leisure stays.

​​​​​​​​​​​​​​I called the hotel and spoke with someone who was adamant that I had booked a Government On Business rate and would need to show Government ID. I explained that there was a difference between having access to a Corp code which allowed access to HM UK Government rates (which I have done regularly for 15 years) and booking an OnBusiness Government rate directly by clicking the box on Hilton.com (which I have never done). She wasn't moving and insisted this was the same thing.
Unfortunately the hotel was correct, and the terms of the HM UK Government rate do stipulate it is for Government business only and eligibility may be checked. As you have experienced it rarely is in practice, but the hotel is entitled to check. As you aren’t an employee, the only practical way to comply would be to have your client draft a letter confirming you are contracted to a UK Government department and are eligible for the rate.