FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London Hiltons now requesting corporate ID if using codes
Old Nov 5, 2023, 5:52 am
travelfreakuk

Programs: Amex Plat UK, BA, Diamond HHonors
Hey stillgame thanks for the response.

Originally Posted by stillgame
The Government rates box on hilton.com works for the US & Canadian governments only.

These are the same thing. In the UK, HM UK GOVERNMENT is the corporate rate for UK Government employees and contractors staying on government business. This is often a fixed negotiated rate for that hotel.
The code I have is UK wide - it offers rates at most hotels (although not all) - maybe as there is a huge DWP presence near Newcastle, they have a better negotiated rate which is why they are being extra precious? I am still not clear what ID even an employee would show.

There is separately a UK Public Sector rate, which allows UK public sector employees to access a 30% discount off the prevailing rate of the hotel for their own leisure stays.
Is this a link or a Corp code? I wonder if this is extended to contractors etc too? (and, once again, how I / anyone with a security pass similar to mine would prove this?)

Unfortunately the hotel was correct, and the terms of the HM UK Government rate do stipulate it is for Government business only and eligibility may be checked. As you have experienced it rarely is in practice, but the hotel is entitled to check. As you aren’t an employee, the only practical way to comply would be to have your client draft a letter confirming you are contracted to a UK Government department and are eligible for the rate.
It's just so strange that this is the first time, literally, in 15 years that I have had any issue. I wonder if a letter would work in perpetuity? Seems like a real effort. Another bright idea from someone who thinks that all Gov travel can be booked through the official portals - in reality, this can never be the case.