Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oceana Santa Monica LXR {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:39 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by christianj
The suite is called a Lanai Suite and I’m thinking it’s a one category upgrade above the standard award Oceana Suite that we were booked into. There are two sofas in the living rooms and the one is off to the side in a nook that kind of looks like a reading nook or it could be used as a dining nook since the table is higher. Living room looks towards the pool since the suite fronts the pool area and backs the back of the property with no view. Even without a real view it’s definitely one of the nicest rooms I’ve had in a Hilton property.
I stayed in a suite (upgrade for $ on a points stay this past July) The room and the property were excellent. The food was great (yea over-priced, but as mentioned above i viewed it as a convenience tax.The service was among the best I have ever had at a Hilton brand property in the US.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The suite is called a Lanai Suite and I’m thinking it’s a one category upgrade above the standard award Oceana Suite that we were booked into.
It's a nice upgrade, b/c the so-called "Oceana Suite" is not a suite. That's what we had and it was just a very dark room with a bed and one chair. There were Lanai Suites for sale, but they flat-out refused to give us one. It sounds like the complaints about upgrades (I was pretty negative in my post-survey stay, and did get a call from the GM) had an effect, as the last several reports reflect a considerably more appropriate upgrade policy.

Enjoy your stay! We had several great meals in Santa Monica.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Eujeanie Sorry I wasn’t clear…we are on an award stay using 3 Amex Free Night awards. The base award room is called an Oceana Suite and this is a Lanai Suite which appears to be a one suite category upgrade.

To clarify Diamond breakfast benefit, it’s $25 per person as we thought and can be used for any meal or drinks you consume at the hotel and not just breakfast.

Staff we’ve interacted with so far have all been great!
Old Nov 4, 2021, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a nice upgrade, b/c the so-called "Oceana Suite" is not a suite. That's what we had and it was just a very dark room with a bed and one chair. There were Lanai Suites for sale, but they flat-out refused to give us one. It sounds like the complaints about upgrades (I was pretty negative in my post-survey stay, and did get a call from the GM) had an effect, as the last several reports reflect a considerably more appropriate upgrade policy.

Enjoy your stay! We had several great meals in Santa Monica.
Thanks for taking up the fight so we can benefit from a nice upgrade! If you have any “can’t miss” dinner recommendations, please let me know. We are big Italian fans so we have two Italian places booked and a steak dinner at Meat on Ocean but we can always change.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Thanks for taking up the fight so we can benefit from a nice upgrade! If you have any “can’t miss” dinner recommendations, please let me know. We are big Italian fans so we have two Italian places booked and a steak dinner at Meat on Ocean but we can always change.
We used to live in the LA area and had a friend with a connection to Shutters on the Beach, so we would have dinner at their restaurant One Pico frequently. We also had brunch at Michael's (on Third) which at that time was a trendy see and be seen place. We are so not that, but it was fun to dress up and play pretend once in a while.

What are the Italian places you have booked? I usually seek them out since they are my husband's favorite, but I couldn't find any in close proximity.

Haven't heard of Meat on Ocean so will check it out.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:12 pm

Eujeanie both came recommended and are casual…North Italia Santa Monica and La Vecchia Cucina. Meat on Ocean is a high end steakhouse.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:24 pm

My in-laws lived in the Phoenix area and I'm pretty sure that North is an offshoot of the original there. Will check out La Vecchia Cucina - thanks.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:28 pm

La Vecchia looks great - for some reason I never looked south of the Pier. And there's nothing wrong with North, just that we've been to the one in Phoenix several times so was looking for something different. But in full disclosure, the one in Phoenix (and I'm not even sure it's the same chain) was in a strip mall (not that there's anything wrong with that) and this will be our anniversary dinner.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:32 pm

As I said…casual so I would look elsewhere for anniversary dinner. Melisse gets good reviews and has 2 Michelin stars.

Last edited by christianj; Nov 4, 2021 at 6:38 pm
Old Nov 4, 2021, 6:35 pm

What's xxxxx?
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
What's xxxxx?
corrected now…,had put the wrong name.
Old Nov 4, 2021, 7:13 pm

Oh, that looks good, too....much more anniversary worthy.
christianj likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Eujeanie both came recommended and are casual…North Italia Santa Monica and La Vecchia Cucina. Meat on Ocean is a high end steakhouse.
We really enjoyed Colapasta. Not high-end but wonderful service and solid, well-priced pastas. Felt like a neighborhood trattoria in Italy.
Old Nov 5, 2021, 9:15 am

That looks good, too, Kacee.

Take a look at the prices at this joint, makes Oceana's $30 pizza look like a bargain! Maybe they think with the fancy font people won't notice?

MENU | Italian | Capo Restaurant | Santa Monica
Old Nov 5, 2021, 11:07 am

Since this was hotly criticized earlier in the thread…breakfast service was good and done in a reasonable amount of time. It certainly wasn’t fast but we also didn’t wait forever. Restaurant was not really busy so it might have helped. Food was of good quality but I did find the prices high. We spent more on breakfast his morning than we did at the Ritz-Carlton Laguna Niguel earlier in the week….probably mainly due to the fact that the coffee and OJ were charged separately here and were included in the American breakfast at the Ritz. 20% gratuity also added in but I would have given that anyway. $50 Diamond credit will bring price down to 1/2 of original bill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.