Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oceana Santa Monica LXR {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by whitecastle
Thanks for the response and suggestions. Yes, starting in SF and then spending 3 nights in Ventana Big Sur, 1 night in SLO, 1 night in Santa Barbara, 2 nights in Encino with friends, and then have two nights on Dec 24-26 that I'm trying to figure out a special stay for. Flying out of LAX early on the 27th so have a hotel booked near the airport for 26-27.

I looked into the Del but from recent reviews, it seems that the hotel is pretty worn down with ongoing construction also happening. From what I also see, only the Victorian rooms are available at 95K/night and non of the recently renovated rooms.
Then it sounds like Monarch Beach would be the best place for Christmas. I know the Del's shortcomings, but thought it would be really beautifully decorated that time of year. We're staying there for the first time in July, also burning a 95K cert. I like old places so being in the Victorian rooms doesn't bother me.

Where are you staying by LAX? That might be a time to try the Oceana. There's also a nice Inn nearby (Inn at Playa del Rey) plus the Marina del Rey hotels. No need to stay in a boring airport hotel, unless you are leaving really early.
whitecastle likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I just booked 3 nights with our certs for the beginning of November. Was also considering the WA Monarch Beach as an alternative but they had no availability at all.

If anyone has any additional comments about stays since the last update in July, I would appreciate it. We have never stayed in SM since we typically stay down in Laguna Beach or Dana Point but figured this was the best use of the certs before they expire at the end of the year.

Last edited by christianj; Sep 28, 2021 at 8:05 am
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:18 am

Can someone address 2 questions for me? (still sorta maybe perhaps might stay for a night) but 2 things concern me:

Are the rooms loud from being built around the pool/atrium area? I know it's not an ES, but I've spent some miserable nights listening to echoey voices, music, etc. in ES's. And on the flip side, is the street noise loud?

The other thing that baffles me is the raves about the restaurant for dinner...unless I'm looking at the wrong menu, it just looks so limited, boring, ordinary. I mean when I want a nice dinner out I don't want a burger or pizza or the token salmon, all of which I can get at home.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:30 am

Eujeanie Why not venture out for dinner in an area like SM? I share your concern on the noise but I rarely if ever eat in a hotel restaurant for dinner unless there aren't any other options around.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Are the rooms loud from being built around the pool/atrium area? I know it's not an ES, but I've spent some miserable nights listening to echoey voices, music, etc. in ES's. And on the flip side, is the street noise loud?
We did not have any pool noise. We did have noise from the adjoining room. This is not a particularly high quality build (dates back to the 70s).

The rooms fronting on Ocean Ave will have significant traffic noise.

The other thing that baffles me is the raves about the restaurant for dinner...unless I'm looking at the wrong menu, it just looks so limited, boring, ordinary. I mean when I want a nice dinner out I don't want a burger or pizza or the token salmon, all of which I can get at home.
Given all the great options nearby in Santa Monica, I would not consider dinner at the hotel.
christianj likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
We did not have any pool noise. We did have noise from the adjoining room. This is not a particularly high quality build (dates back to the 70s).

The rooms fronting on Ocean Ave will have significant traffic noise.

Given all the great options nearby in Santa Monica, I would not consider dinner at the hotel.
Thanks, Kacee. Not sure why it's even still on my radar. I guess having a cert burning a hole in your pocket makes you want to max out the "value". But there are tons of other options around.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:50 am

Thanks, Kacee. Not sure why it's even still on my radar. I guess having a cert burning a hole in your pocket makes you want to max out the "value". But there are tons of other options around.
What other options would you consider for the certs? As mentioned, I am in a similar situation and trying to burn 3 of them and get some type of resort like beach vacation in the area. Huntington Beach?
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:20 am

I've not stayed there but I like the look of the Waterfront Hilton.

I also didn't like that the Oceana was so high up, a trek back up. Waterfront is across the street but not a bad walk.

But I don't think it will be the "luxury" level like Oceana or Dana Point.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
While it's not beachfront, IMO the LXR location is great - Santa Monica is one of the best parts of LA and I find being right on Palisades Park very appealing. The Marriott beachfront option (LM) is mediocre, and Shutters is very expensive. I might also consider the new Design Hotel, Santa Monica Proper, which is a similar concept to LXR, and gets very good reviews (but is not on the palisades).

I find the Hilton certs difficult to use, which is why I burned one here (W/A had no availability). There's just a dearth of high end Hilton properties, particularly in the U.S.
christianj likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
While it's not beachfront, IMO the LXR location is great - Santa Monica is one of the best parts of LA and I find being right on Palisades Park very appealing. The Marriott beachfront option (LM) is mediocre, and Shutters is very expensive. I might also consider the new Design Hotel, Santa Monica Proper, which is a similar concept to LXR, and gets very good reviews (but is not on the palisades).

I find the Hilton certs difficult to use, which is why I burned one here (W/A had no availability). There's just a dearth of high end Hilton properties, particularly in the U.S.
christianj, I also think Oceana would be fine for you. If you have them to burn I'd use them.

We lived in So Cal for over 10 years, went to the beach all the time (Zuma, north of Malibu), and while I love being by the ocean I went swimming exactly once, a super freaky warm February day, otherwise the chilly Pacific was for me just get your feet wet. So I worry when you say you want a "beach" vacation, If you look at the average temps it "should" be in the 60's for daytime highs in November.

But I love looking at the water, if I stayed at the Oceana I'd spend all my time on a bench across the street at the Palisades Park (channeling Boom Boom Cannon, wrong coast ).
Old Sep 30, 2021, 7:44 am

Eujeanie and Kacee ....thanks for the input. The "we want a beach vacation" reference of mine was indeed more meant as ....on the ocean with a view and a resort feel type of vacation than actually being able to get in the water and splash around.

We are very familiar with the area and have been there numerous times around that time of year. We used to always do a couple of days in Laguna Beach/Dana Point before we would go out to Palm Springs. The last couple of years we skipped the Cali coast and just went to PS but this year we are having some scheduling issues since we always meet friends from Switzerland and this year they cannot come due to travel restrictions. So we are again wanting to do a couple of days on the Cali Coast combined with PS.

We are familiar with most of the higher end beach view resort hotels and have stayed at the Montage LB, Ritz-Carlton LN and the Waldorf Astoria (we stayed when it was a St. Regis). I looked at those three options but at the Montage the prices are ridiculous, the RC has ridiculous prices and the award redemption options are even worse and the WA is not available to use my certs.....hence me picking the Oceana as an alternative. My gut feeling is that the Oceana (even with some issues) will be more of a luxury feel than the Hilton Waterfront in Huntington Beach so that is why I picked it to use the certs.
Kacee and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 5:17 pm

Deleted...decision made.
DC9 likes this.

Last edited by Eujeanie; Oct 30, 2021 at 8:56 pm
Old Oct 31, 2021, 10:32 am

We will be there next week so I’ll post my overall thoughts to update the thread.
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by christianj
We will be there next week so I’ll post my overall thoughts to update the thread.
Looking forward to it.
christianj and Traveler Dave like this.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:56 am

What’s the current situation re. breakfast here for Diamonds?

Last edited by pazza2000; Nov 1, 2021 at 7:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.