Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oceana Santa Monica LXR {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2021, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by kpott
My experience was very similar to Kacee’s. I spoke with the GM and he simply apologized and said he would look out for our stay next time. The lack of Diamond recognition, being put in the dungeon on the first floor, the chaotic breakfast that I walked out on, and the disorganized staffing. Things need to change there.
Uh oh...thanks for the post.
Old May 6, 2021, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
Also, did you charge incidentals to the Aspire card (assuming you have one)? The property is not listed as a “resort” so I wonder if it qualifies for the $250 resort credit.
Stayed here a couple weeks ago and charged a few items to Aspire but did not get credit. Amex says it doesn't quality since it is not listed as a Hilton Resorts.
Troopers and DC9 like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mastermc54
Please share a review on TripAdvisor so that it’s not one big pep rally for this property there, and management becomes cognizant of negative feedback regarding elite treatment.
I suspect the management is well aware of these issues. The Diamond upgrade policy seems to be driven top down, not a rogue front desk staff issue. And I would posit that the wave of positive TA reviews is the result of a very active social media campaign, involving a quid pro quo for free stuff.
Old May 6, 2021, 5:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
I suspect the management is well aware of these issues. The Diamond upgrade policy seems to be driven top down, not a rogue front desk staff issue. And I would posit that the wave of positive TA reviews is the result of a very active social media campaign, involving a quid pro quo for free stuff.
I also think that these newer hotels, who are not ingrained in the Hilton family, are resentful of all the Hilton Diamonds who flock to them clutching their FNC's in their hot little hands, demanding all their benefits. I've been following the same scenario with the new ex-Hard Rock Virgin hotel in Vegas...many complaints about no diamond recognition, a breakfast benefit that does cover one single thing on the menu, etc.

But of course we feel entitled to be able to cash in on our freebies and status. As we should.

I've also watched the W-A Beverly Hills - for the longest time the only 95K rooms were handicapped, with the admonishment that you should not book this unless you "need" one. Recently, however, the availability of regular rooms is more the norm, however still 2Q rather than 1K. But it's an improvement that has evolved over time.

Just as a DP, I have a Hilton FNC that I needed to burn on this LA trip. I had rejected the Oceana for reasons I've cited above. My other choice was the W-A BH, but thinking about it, I'm not a BH kind of gal, and what is there to do around there besides shop at overpriced places? (we used to live in LA so have done everything nearby, such as LACMA, La Brea Tar Pits, etc). So believe it or not we're using our 95K cert at a 50K hotel...a couple of things we have never done is some studio tours, so we'll be going to the Warner Bros studios to see all the sets from Friends, the Big Bang, etc., and also Universal Studios....have been many times before but not since the Harry Potter stuff opened...so while I might not get "max value", I'm very happy using my cert for the perfect location for what we want to do. With minimal driving.

The Oceana is still in its infancy with dealing with the Hilton Diamonds, eventually things will level out.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 6, 2021, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I also think that these newer hotels, who are not ingrained in the Hilton family, are resentful of all the Hilton Diamonds who flock to them clutching their FNC's in their hot little hands, demanding all their benefits.
I have some sympathy for the properties in the era of bloggers and churning. That said, I also believe that in the long run, properties are better served building loyalty by treating guests right than by attempting to evade program obligations. I still remember my first points stay ever, at the Renaissance Amsterdam. We were warmly welcomed and given an upgrade, an experience which drove loyalty to Marriott for many years.
Old May 6, 2021, 6:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Exactly. I mentioned the Bentley in Miami. I mean seriously, South Beach, Miami? Home of the super cool? They were so great to us with the upgrade and the greetings that it really went a long way towards cementing my loyalty to Hilton. They could have stuck up their noses at us, NOT given us an upgrade (we had no idea when we checked in after a cruise that we were getting more than our standard POINTS room...and best of all no attitude.

What happened to you and the other poster who said their experience was almost identical did more harm than good. IF the hotel was truly sold out you can understand getting the base room, but I hate it when I can see they are still booking better rooms yet lie and say they are full.
Kacee and DC9 like this.
Old May 6, 2021, 11:03 pm

3 FNC nights coming up mid May...will report back.

Update:. Just finishing up our stay. Awesome experience. I feel like people should give some background when leaving reviews. Everything is relative. I am a doctor in a rural state. 40ish, wife and 2 year old. Make about 250k a year. Have lived in big cities, miss the food hate the traffic/people.

By far nicest hotel I have stayed in. Diamond member, got upgraded to Lanai suite about 4 days prior. 1st floor pool right outside. Would never know it was there not loud at all. Staff was very nice. We were able to get a microwave sent to our room within 5 mins to make instantac and cheese for the toddler. Valet was very convenient and helpful. Food was awesome. Continental breakfast nothing special and included with diamond or else 22 bucks per person. Below is chilaquiles and french toast. Great food and great value. Coffee also very good. Didn't get anything from bar other than crack a small bottle of JW black in my room (wish I hadn't) for 40 bucks. I am a whisky snob. Menu was fine, reasonable pricing decent selection. Except 60 bucks for a glass of Blanton's lol. No problem paying11 bucks for Buffalo trace but come on Blantons...didn't use the 3rd level terrace. Didn't use the gym, saw peleton stuff in there. I guess you need to let them know when you want to use because it's 2 person's at a time.

Location was nice, I didn't mind the walk down the steps to the beach. I like that it is a little ways away from the really touristy area. Bed was incredibly comfortable we slept great. Very large suite, there were literally 4 couches in it...would have Preferred more open space felt like they were just trying fill up the room. Could have easily sat 10 people lol.

Overall, enjoyable experience. Very glad we stayed here. Would I ever pay cash rates? No, but even though I make good money I am not in a position to be blowing 500 bucks a night on a hotel. At least not in Santa Monica.

Used 3 FNC, can't imagine better CONUS use of them.
Spoiler

Last edited by geoff325; May 17, 2021 at 12:35 pm
Old May 17, 2021, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by geoff325
3 FNC nights coming up mid May...will report back.

Update:. Just finishing up our stay. Awesome experience. I feel like people should give some background when leaving reviews. Everything is relative. I am a doctor in a rural state. 40ish, wife and 2 year old. Make about 250k a year. Have lived in big cities, miss the food hate the traffic/people.

By far nicest hotel I have stayed in. Diamond member, got upgraded to Lanai suite about 4 days prior. 1st floor pool right outside. Would never know it was there not loud at all. Staff was very nice. We were able to get a microwave sent to our room within 5 mins to make instantac and cheese for the toddler. Valet was very convenient and helpful. Food was awesome. Continental breakfast nothing special and included with diamond or else 22 bucks per person. Below is chilaquiles and french toast. Great food and great value. Coffee also very good. Didn't get anything from bar other than crack a small bottle of JW black in my room (wish I hadn't) for 40 bucks. I am a whisky snob. Menu was fine, reasonable pricing decent selection. Except 60 bucks for a glass of Blanton's lol. No problem paying11 bucks for Buffalo trace but come on Blantons...didn't use the 3rd level terrace. Didn't use the gym, saw peleton stuff in there. I guess you need to let them know when you want to use because it's 2 person's at a time.

Location was nice, I didn't mind the walk down the steps to the beach. I like that it is a little ways away from the really touristy area. Bed was incredibly comfortable we slept great. Very large suite, there were literally 4 couches in it...would have Preferred more open space felt like they were just trying fill up the room. Could have easily sat 10 people lol.

Overall, enjoyable experience. Very glad we stayed here. Would I ever pay cash rates? No, but even though I make good money I am not in a position to be blowing 500 bucks a night on a hotel. At least not in Santa Monica.

Used 3 FNC, can't imagine better CONUS use of them.
Thanks for the update. We're there over the Memorial Day long weekend...hopefully we'll be upgraded too but probably not.

Last edited by Troopers; May 17, 2021 at 1:50 pm
Old May 18, 2021, 1:44 am

Good review! It’s still relatively early days for this place, and the hard product looks undeniably good so here is hoping theh figure out the teething problems highlighted above.
Old May 20, 2021, 2:37 pm

How's the parking situation at this property?
Planning a trip next month wondering if there's anywhere that I can park nearby to avoid the valet.
Old May 22, 2021, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by anchor79
How's the parking situation at this property?
Planning a trip next month wondering if there's anywhere that I can park nearby to avoid the valet.
no parking. its on the beach in santa monica lol. valet is the way to go.
Old May 22, 2021, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

no parking. its on the beach in santa monica lol. valet is the way to go.
It's not on the beach. It's across the street from Palisades Park.

I agree valet is the way to go. Street parking is not worth the hassle.
Old May 25, 2021, 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not on the beach. It's across the street from Palisades Park.

I agree valet is the way to go. Street parking is not worth the hassle.
correct, but where I come from "see the water" is "on the beach"
pazza2000 likes this.
Old May 25, 2021, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
correct, but where I come from "see the water" is "on the beach"
Especially in Southern California there are few homes and hotels directly "on the beach". There are many upon many that have views/see the water but are on considerable elevations above either the water or eventually to get to the beach.

Enjoy!

David
Old May 29, 2021, 10:00 am

We checked in late yesterday for a 3 FNC stay. Before we left, we were not upgraded as I expected (long Memorial Day weekend). I selected an Oceana King room on the 3rd floor via the app (there were 2 available on the 3rd floor, and one each on the 2nd and 1st floor).

When we arrived, we were upgraded to a Lanai Suite on the 2nd floor. It’s a corner unit, with two large windows; one faces the residential street and the other window faces the condo(?) to the rear. The room is quite spectacular; it’s quite large and the decor/furnishings is very aesthetic and of high quality.

The bathroom could be bigger. There’s only a single sink w minimal counter/storage space. And I prefer the toilet to be in its own room with a door. The walk in shower is quite nice.

I’m here for the next several days and happy to answer any questions.

Schwann likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.