Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Oceana Santa Monica LXR {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2022, 1:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
That is hysterical about the pool.

Honestly, ours was a cool damp day so I didn't even stick my toe in, but that tiny pool does NOT look like it has a deep end!
Old Dec 4, 2022, 7:47 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Originally Posted by Dracarys
I tried booking my AMEX Free night cert a few of days ago for a March 2023 stay. It was declined because there were no standard rooms available. I had to book it at the Hilton Santa Monica. I definitely wanted to use the cert at a "high end" hotel but based on the reviews, it might work out better for us that there's no availability. I'm traveling with hubby and my 2 kiddos and we want to visit the pier. Looks like I may have dodged one here...off to check the Hilton Santa Monica reviews.
Well, it looks like we will end up here after all. WA Beverly Hills & WA Monarch Beach are both booked the night we want to stay. We have the 2 queen standard room. Hopefully is will be a positive experience.
martzipan likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 12:19 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Great Hotel for Points spend

Oceana Santa Monica LXR Hotels & Resorts

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Great Hotel for Points spend (15 Photos)

Check In

I got to the hotel early and happily my room was available. The staff were super friendly and I could not have had a warmer welcome to the hotel. The reception area is quite small and felt very boutique - there is a lovely fireplace in the centre and the lavender lemonade welcome was delicious! I used 90K Hilton points per night for a 2 night stay and think it was the best use I have had out of the points. Even a few months ago, the basic room was going for $1400 a night! 

I was teen to my room by one of the staff who explained the layout of the hotel nice and clearly.

70CF2B21-0B2A-4788-A6B6-C30687DA9A28.jpeg3B66BD3B-CF74-4716-8CF0-D08E6297CB5B.jpegD1234E19-B57B-48E4-8505-69BD5615E479.jpeg

Room

The room was spectacular but there was a little too much style over practicality but it did not detract from a great stay overall. The lounge area had a lovely sofa and huge TV and a little balcony with a couple of chairs. As I was on the first floor, there was a road on each side of the suite so I am not sure whether it would be a private place to sit out as you are at eye level with everyone walking along the pavement. As it happens it was raining when I was there so I never wanted to sit out. 

The bedroom area is an odd shape - with a huge bed taking centre stage looking out the window, onto the road and then across to the sea. The thing that bugged me was not lights by the bed and the light switch for the room was on the wall so you had to go to bed in the dark once you had switched the lights off! There was some USBs by the bed to charge things. The other thing I found odd was the TV sort of got in the way of getting to the bed - you had to go round it and vcould only get to the bed on one side - the other side it was too close to the wall to get to it that way. Again looks beautiful but less useful when using it!

The bathroom was lovely and modern, with Bottega Veneta toiltries. They were lovely and got replenished on the second day (well apart from the conditioner weirdly!). The only thing was there was no room to put my own toiletries out - no space at all around the skink - including to rest the hairdryer!  Again style over practicality!

6E025B0D-7FB7-481C-AC20-D945869FDFF0.jpeg038865A1-59B8-41F6-B529-40EB0F45A5F1.jpeg03C11CE9-6A19-4FF1-9503-D7BEB089B03C.jpegDBF41CCD-98EE-4C21-A849-0EBFFCE19D7C.jpegCE3C879B-0DC5-40E9-A258-68F66E28C0B5.jpeg

Service

Service throughout was exemplary - always remembered my name and cheery when they said hello. There was coffee, lavender lemonade or hot chocolate out - part of the $45 resort fee..... all were good quality though.  I queried a charge on my bill and it was immediately sorted - it was a room charge, of something I had not had but no issues removing it.

Dining

I ate in the only restaurant to use my $100 credit up - this is where the Hilton credit works well - $25 per person per night gave us $100 to spend over the 2 days. I had dinner in the restaurant which was nice but quite expensive - especially the wine. The breakfast was good quality too. I am not sure why you would buy coffee from the breakfast restaurant when you can get free coffee in the foyer but maybe that is my Scottishness!

490D8E8D-DAAC-4731-A4D4-3FBB35C1D918.jpeg4EC24CD6-5942-42BD-B645-648FD202B749.jpeg78242F4E-74DA-4ED3-AB2C-EC063834E18A.jpegA100F76D-9DB8-4AE2-86F7-060EE67E6F02.jpegA21E26CF-BBD4-4BC4-9F61-0252C96384E0.jpeg

The hotel is a bit of a walk from the pier area in Santa Monica but that means it is quiet and has very few tourists walking past. There is a bit of a hike down to the beach as it is on the cliff - lots of stairs if you have mobility issues. You could walk up to Brentwood shops whcih had a Whole foods and many food/coffee shops if your budget does not stretch to eating in the hotel!

Overall

I have pointed out some issues with the room - mainly silly design but that should not stop you staying here. This is without doubt the best use of points I have ever made and I would be back in a heart beat! Unfortunately it rained while I was there so the outside pool area was closed and the upstairs bar with a view was also closed. However this is a hotel that people stay in their rooms for privacy - not sitting at a hotel bar! 

07CD9036-9B70-4D39-9804-04D1A527A642.jpeg25A5A2EA-BB1F-4428-8219-6AF0311B6123.jpeg

Great Hotel for Points spend

Would you like to write a review on the Oceana Santa Monica LXR Hotels & Resorts?

No, thank you.
Yes
Princess fiona likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 1:25 pm

You had exactly a similar room to ours, which we hated. You can read my review back a few pages on this thread. I guess it could be a glass half full/half empty thing? I usually don't rabidly dislike a hotel room, but I thought this was so impractical and uncomfortable. Which you pointed out, but stated the shortcomings didn't bother you. You also didn't mention noise, which was a major issue for us.

Glad you enjoyed.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 8:27 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
I didn't really hear much noise other than a very noisy couple getting acquainted with themselves at 1am on 1 night! The impracticalities were annoying but overall I liked the room - and I felt that for my points value, it was good. A very different story if I had paid $1400 a night though so I completely get your point.

Regards

aks120
Old Feb 4, 2023, 9:38 am

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Second stay here. 5 night Award stay, booked a double Queen and upgrade a week out showing on the App to One bed Lanai Suite. Was staying with my partner and son, the sofa bed in the lounge was made up for him.

Great stay overall, hotel was at fairly low occupancy.
No issues using our $50 credit for cocktails each night.
This time I had a hire car. It’s $60 for valet parking but the street parking across on Ocean is free overnight from 6pm until 9am except Tuesday mornings so we used the valet overnight on Monday and parked on the street the rest of the nights.

Overall I probably prefer the WA Bev Hills for sheer wow factor on points but this remains an excellent LA property, close to LAX and reasonably close to the places I like to go as a visitor to LA
Old Feb 4, 2023, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Princess fiona
Second stay here. 5 night Award stay, booked a double Queen and upgrade a week out showing on the App to One bed Lanai Suite. Was staying with my partner and son, the sofa bed in the lounge was made up for him.

Great stay overall, hotel was at fairly low occupancy.
No issues using our $50 credit for cocktails each night.
This time I had a hire car. It’s $60 for valet parking but the street parking across on Ocean is free overnight from 6pm until 9am except Tuesday mornings so we used the valet overnight on Monday and parked on the street the rest of the nights.

Overall I probably prefer the WA Bev Hills for sheer wow factor on points but this remains an excellent LA property, close to LAX and reasonably close to the places I like to go as a visitor to LA
Awesome photo - wonderfully composed and especially with that completely still pool and the screens and lights emitting in blue as well.

David
Princess fiona likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 4:57 pm

Has anyone had any success with the $250 resort credit here? I notice they now have "resort" in their name.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Gloopgop
Has anyone had any success with the $250 resort credit here? I notice they now have "resort" in their name.
A rose is a rose....but calling yourself a resort does not make you a resort in the eyes of Hilton. Not on the resorts list. Maybe will be. But not yet.
Old Apr 19, 2023, 7:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Accor Club, Miles and More
Oceana Santa Monica
I had booked a One-bedroom Lanai Suiteand ultimately received the Pacific One-bedroom Lanai Suitebeing Diamond member.

I had previously requested this upgrade but it
was rejected via the chat function because allegedly two children don't fit in the Pacific Lanai Suite.I asked again on site whether two twin beds could be pushed into the room.This was denied for reasons of space.When I asked how it was possible that I could book this suite in this configuration, I was then offered to push a twin bed into the room and to use the sofa as additional bed.Agreed, upgrade done.Interestingly enough, the room was later equipped with two twin beds.So there was enough space.

The early check-in was just as difficult.The room appeared to be ready, the receptionist made sure it was clean too.However, he wasn't allowed to let us into the room because the head of housekeeping hadn't released the room yet.But she was on her lunch break and couldnt be reached so we had to wait another 60min. It wasnt a big deal but many things were unnecessarily complicated.

It felt that the front office team did not know their own hotel.I had to take a nightly call and didnt want to do that in the room to not wake up the family.The receptionist offered me to turn on the heaters on the terrace as they didnt have a designated room for this.He reached out to the night guard, who came and told the perplexed receptionist that the hotel indeed had a small conference room for just that.Another problem solved.

Otherwise I truly enjoyed this great little chic hotel.Very nicely furnished, personal letter with cookies in the room, free bikes to borrow.Excellent.Only the prices in the restaurant were incredibly expensive and not worth recommending. Daily credit was 50 USD.
Old Apr 27, 2023, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
My 1 night reward certificate stay occurred on 3/15/23. We arrived around 3:30 p.m. and check in was a breeze. We were in a 2 queen bed room with a partial ocean view. Had to put my head on window and look left for the view. No upgrade was offered and since we traveled as a family, 2 adults, 2 kids, we were fine with the room. The room was spacious and tucked in a little bit. The front door was not facing the pool and we had some privacy. We had dinner elsewhere by the Santa Monica Pier, but ate breakfast there the next morning. The $25 per day food/beverage credit applied so $50 was taken off the bill. The breakfast was expensive $140 total with automatic tip, taxes, and health care fee. The valet advised us that parking across the street is free overnight from 6 p.m. to 9 a.m. the following morning and to make sure we either got our car or put money in the meter before 9 a.m. That saved us the $60 valet parking fee. There is no self parking option (other than the free street parking after hours).

Overall the stay was great. The only issue we had was someone else's breakfast was charged to our bill. I did not notice until my credit card bill arrived. The bill was $190 which should've been around $90 once the $50 credit hit the original bill of $140. I checked the folio and called the hotel to get it fixed. The clerk recognized what happened and said she would fix it. I had to call again 2 weeks later and finally it got fixed and we were credited back approximately $100.

It is not too far from Santa Monica Pier and the promenade. The area is clean and well maintained. I would definitely stay here again given the opportunity.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 11:23 am

Staying next week with FNC for two nights and getting a little worried with some of the earlier reviews, but TA shows all is well with everyone named so I don't know if I believe that. Any recent reviews of their stays?
Old Jul 28, 2023, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by liquix
TA shows all is well with everyone named so I don't know if I believe that.
I don't know what this means? If you're asking would I change my review in retrospect, I would say I might if I had gotten a different, quieter, better laid out room. But remembering the experience as it was, no way would I stay again.

But I do think it's a good "value" use of FNCs.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I don't know what this means? If you're asking would I change my review in retrospect, I would say I might if I had gotten a different, quieter, better laid out room. But remembering the experience as it was, no way would I stay again.

But I do think it's a good "value" use of FNCs.
Thank you, room location does indeed seem to be very important here.

What I meant was that Trip Advisor shows glowing reviews naming every single person that works there and its hard to believe those are authentic reviews.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by liquix
Thank you, room location does indeed seem to be very important here.

What I meant was that Trip Advisor shows glowing reviews naming every single person that works there and its hard to believe those are authentic reviews.
Yes, I think I commented on that, too, that we only remembered the first valet guy who was older and very charismatic. I usually don't take names, either. I didn't look over on TA but if they name names AND have only 1 or 2 posts then huge red flags.

Is there a reason you want to be in Santa Monica? People also speak highly of the Waldorf Astoria Beverly Hills if you're just looking to burn some certificates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.