Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2020] Hilton Amex Aspire $250 Resort Credit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: None
I am still not tracking and I hope someone will be able to help out.

I have read through most of the thread and have read the initial sticky.

Does this resort credit not really do anything, because here are the issues I am running into?

I am looking to book the Tropicana Resort by Doubletree Hilton in Vegas for 4 nights.

The advanced purchase rate is $87, while the cancellation rate is $135 a night. If you cannot receive the resort credit for the advance purchase credit, doesn't this make the resort credit null and void? Like, whats the point? (These were rates quoted through a phone call directly to the hotel) (They were also the same rates as online on the Hilton Honors website) (Diamond member)

Is there an alternative way to use this credit, or is there something in particular I should do to be able to utilize this $250 resort credit?

I just don't get it... Hopefully someone can help! I would greatly appreciate it.

Respectfully,
Tyler Knighton
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
You could use it to cover the resort fees, which are billed separately (not sure they are waived for Diamonds, they are waived if you book all on points). If you have a meal in the hotel and charge it to the room, that would count. Same with a bar, or renting a cabana, just charge everything to your room. And remember, it's not a one time only charge - if you only have $100 worth of charges at the Trop, you can use the other $150 at any other resort on the list until the expiration date.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
You could use it to cover the resort fees, which are billed separately (not sure they are waived for Diamonds, they are waived if you book all on points). If you have a meal in the hotel and charge it to the room, that would count. Same with a bar, or renting a cabana, just charge everything to your room. And remember, it's not a one time only charge - if you only have $100 worth of charges at the Trop, you can use the other $150 at any other resort on the list until the expiration date.

How do you go about doing this properly Eujeanie?

When I go to book the hotel on the Hilton Honors website to make the purchase, the Resort fees are factored in to the total Advance Rate price at checkout. So, I'm assuming the full amount will be billed from Tennessee and not directly from the Hotel which will NOT trigger the credit?

Example:Price Details (USD)

1 KING BED ROOM - CLUB TOWER

HONORS DISCOUNT ADVANCE PURCHASE

Price:$350.44

Resort charge:$148.00

Taxes:$66.69Total for stay:$565.14

Non-refundable

Any further insight about where to book through and how would be greatly appreciated. Would like to book this today and somehow utilize the resort credit properly.

Respectfully,
Tyler
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:34 pm

Sorry, didn't realize those extras were rolled into the Advance Purchase rate.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:38 pm

Eujeanie,

All Good. Does anyone else have any advice on how to properly use the $250 resort credit in the example above?

If we try to book a refundable rate, the room is $135, instead of $87 per night, making the use of the Resort credit completely useless.

What's the point of the resort credit if that is the case? I'm assuming there is another way to do this since many people in this thread feel pleased after using their Resort Credit.

Anyone else?

Edit: I just don't seem to understand how to use this credit, after reading through this thread. Any input is extremely appreciated.

Is there a specific website that we can book through that will only charge at the front desk upon arrival? Also, is this rate within a vicinity that it would actually make sense to use the credit as opposed to just booking it on Hiltons website? This is crazy. What happens if someone gets the card and didn't read this thread and understand that the resort credit doesn't work for Advanced Rates? That's ridiculous

Tyler

Last edited by StealyMan; Mar 31, 2019 at 4:55 pm
Old Mar 31, 2019, 5:18 pm

If you're sure this is your one and only chance to use the credit, and you will not be eating, drinking, spending any money whatsoever on the premises, how about this: It's not perfect, but it will save you something...

Why not book 2 nights at the nonrefundable rate, and 2 nights at the refundable. That way you'll get at least something off 2 of them.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by StealyMan
Eujeanie,

All Good. Does anyone else have any advice on how to properly use the $250 resort credit in the example above?

If we try to book a refundable rate, the room is $135, instead of $87 per night, making the use of the Resort credit completely useless.

What's the point of the resort credit if that is the case? I'm assuming there is another way to do this since many people in this thread feel pleased after using their Resort Credit.

Anyone else?

Edit: I just don't seem to understand how to use this credit, after reading through this thread. Any input is extremely appreciated.

Is there a specific website that we can book through that will only charge at the front desk upon arrival? Also, is this rate within a vicinity that it would actually make sense to use the credit as opposed to just booking it on Hiltons website? This is crazy. What happens if someone gets the card and didn't read this thread and understand that the resort credit doesn't work for Advanced Rates? That's ridiculous

Tyler
Sorry you seem to be so dissatisfied. The difference between advance purchase and other rates (uncluding AAA and others) varies from property to property and date to date. Some of us never or rarely book AP rates because of their lack of flexibility-- you are trading off to get that cheaper rate. Even in your example, the credit is not "useless"-- you get nearly two nights free, and have flexibility to cancel until 48 hours before you travel. That flexibility has monetary value to both you and the hotel.
Many of us also use the credit outside the United States where this issue doesn't come up.

That said, you can book the prepaid rate and get $250 of extras at the hotel and charge them at checkout, as has been pointed out. Again, not useless.
​​​​​
​​​​​Conditions on the use of a benefit like this are to be expected. I've used two years' credits successfully already. I'm sorry you are finding it not to be what you hoped. The terms and conditions of credit card offers are important to read. Offers like this are often hard to use, and are not designed to be easy to use free money. They are there to incentive Hilton Resort stays, and, bluntly, not $89 a night stays at the Tropicana.
I am curious how you first learned of the card. If it was from one of the blogs, note that they are selling you the card and that is why they make it seem easier to use benefits than most average consumers will find it.

Last edited by Adam1222; Mar 31, 2019 at 7:19 pm
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:18 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by StealyMan
I am looking to book the Tropicana Resort by Doubletree Hilton in Vegas for 4 nights.
The advanced purchase rate is $87, while the cancellation rate is $135 a night. If you cannot receive the resort credit for the advance purchase credit, doesn't this make the resort credit null and void? Like, whats the point?

Is there an alternative way to use this credit, or is there something in particular I should do to be able to utilize this $250 resort credit?

I just stayed at the Tropicana DT in February. I wasn't sure what would apply or not, so was pleasantly surprised that I got a statement credit of $15~ off of my bill - this was due to a to-go dessert at Robert Irvine's Public House being charged to my room.

The rest of the $250 came off at a couple random charges in Hawaii last month. (Parking, dinners, part of a room charge, etc.)

Now I've used up my $250 for the current year, but my Aspire renews in July, so I'll have another $250 then (provided I re-up with Aspire, which I assumedly will.)

Obviously if there's some better rate that you've found that makes the room itself a wash, then, sure, book the lower rate. I'd actually think it might show up as a credit anyway - their tracking doesn't seem 100%, as evidenced by people buying gift cards and things that "aren't supposed to work" on the airline portion of the benefits but still does seem to get a statement credit.

If you book the lower rate and it shows up as credited - hooray!
If you book the lower rate and it doesn't show up as credited, but also make normal spend on dinners and whatnot, you'll at least get credited for the food - hooray!
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
as evidenced by people buying gift cards and things that "aren't supposed to work" on the airline portion of the benefits but still does seem to get a statement credit.
Airline credit IS supposed to work according to terms in the cases where it's working. The Amex terms on the airline credit specifically say they only use the airline's billing code(s) for the purchase to determine whether it counts. The airline's choice of billing codes being in the cardholder's favor in some circumstances is still exactly how the benefit is defined for the card's terms.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:57 pm

Appreciate the input everyone!

Cheers ^

Tyler
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:56 am

Speaking of the airline credit, I just got some money back from the "carrier imposed fees" associated with some mileage award tickets. Didn't realize that was one of the options. Hooray!
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:22 pm

I believe I've convinced DH to go to Arizona over Christmas break. I had originally thought of using our free night certificates at the Arizona Biltmore Waldorf Astoria. However, the room rate with $100 per day credit comes to $716.08 for two nights booked directly through Waldorf Astoria. If I book it now and call them directly to make a $516.08 deposit, will that trigger the $100 off $500 Amex offer, $250 Aspire resort credit, and still give us $100 per night at check-in? It seems too good to be true, so I'm guessing it's a no.

My use year restarts on September 19. Unfortunately, we don't have any availability between now and then for me to book an Aspire approved resort-credit property.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 6:58 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wed100105
I believe I've convinced DH to go to Arizona over Christmas break. I had originally thought of using our free night certificates at the Arizona Biltmore Waldorf Astoria. However, the room rate with $100 per day credit comes to $716.08 for two nights booked directly through Waldorf Astoria. If I book it now and call them directly to make a $516.08 deposit, will that trigger the $100 off $500 Amex offer, $250 Aspire resort credit, and still give us $100 per night at check-in? It seems too good to be true, so I'm guessing it's a no.

My use year restarts on September 19. Unfortunately, we don't have any availability between now and then for me to book an Aspire approved resort-credit property.
If the property is willing to charge a deposit from the hotel, it should count. The reason it wouldn't would be if you put a deposit down via hilton.com or a central Hilton reservation center. In those cases, the charge would be from Hilton Hotels, not the WA.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Adam1222
If the property is willing to charge a deposit from the hotel, it should count. The reason it wouldn't would be if you put a deposit down via hilton.com or a central Hilton reservation center. In those cases, the charge would be from Hilton Hotels, not the WA.
Thank you for the reply. I notice some Waldorf Astoria’s sell gift cards. Has anyone had luck going to the front desk or concierge at a WA and buying a gift card? We will be in Orlando later this month. I could stop by and try it. I’ve read conflicting reports of this working—just curious if anyone has a tip as I really don’t want to lose the $250 benefit for this year. (I didn’t read/understand the terms and conditions well enough before I upgraded—-lesson learned).
Old Apr 2, 2019, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by wed100105

Thank you for the reply. I notice some Waldorf Astoria’s sell gift cards. Has anyone had luck going to the front desk or concierge at a WA and buying a gift card? We will be in Orlando later this month. I could stop by and try it. I’ve read conflicting reports of this working—just curious if anyone has a tip as I really don’t want to lose the $250 benefit for this year. (I didn’t read/understand the terms and conditions well enough before I upgraded—-lesson learned).
There are a LOT of resorts in Orlando that are relatively inexpensive. What I would do, but I'm a little crazy, is, say, book a $100/nt resort (overlapping with wherever else I was staying) and just go for the one night, have dinner, get the credit...done. Let's say you're staying at Disney...are you going to go to Sea World or Universal? Make the one night near one of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.