Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2019, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by TTT103
I don't truly understand what they are doing. I know that in 2020 the reef villa will become the base unit, and the beach villa is moving up a handful of levels, but can't figure out why. The beach villa is advertised at about 500 square feet smaller than the reef villa, and I would think that a reef villa would be more attractive than a beach villa. The units look pretty much identical. What am I missing?
All the rooms are identical in size. The beach villa has more private square footage (in the sense that no one will be in the frontal and side bushes of your villa).
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:12 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Sounds like good fodder for your comparison and contrast review with the StR.
No doubt about it!
Old Sep 26, 2019, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jermyn
2020 February.
I also have one night booked as cash in a reef villa which I'll be paying for using a BMG certificate, since the resort confirmed that Reef Villas will be the new standard room in 2020.
I'll also be there end of Feb 2020
Old Sep 27, 2019, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by WorldTravl
All the rooms are identical in size. The beach villa has more private square footage (in the sense that no one will be in the frontal and side bushes of your villa).
OK, that makes sense. They are counting the entire footprint, including land, as the square footage. I'm booking for next summer, and am trying to figure out why I would pay $673 a night more for a beach villa than a reef villa. I generally value on, or over water rooms, higher than land-based rooms, so this is a bit perplexing.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:50 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
I think it must be driven by feedback from existing guests who value being on land because they have kids and are afraid of having them overwater. Plus there really isn't much in the way of dedicated beachfront for those without beach villas.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:53 am

OK, that makes sense. They are counting the entire footprint, including land, as the square footage. I'm booking for next summer, and am trying to figure out why I would pay $673 a night more for a beach villa than a reef villa. I generally value on, or over water rooms, higher than land-based rooms, so this is a bit perplexing.
You are Caucasian or Asian, not Middle Eastern, correct?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
You are Caucasian or Asian, not Middle Eastern, correct?
Yes, why? Is there something in the Middle Eastern belief system that would require them to be on land?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:24 am

Yes, why? Is there something in the Middle Eastern belief system that would require them to be on land?
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Did you see the conversation about this a couple weeks back?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:32 pm

Well I might end up regretting this but I've chosen the Waldorf over the Conrad for an upcoming stay in the Maldives in a couple week. It will be my first and likely only trip to the Maldives. I was leaning towards the Conrad more because judging by what I read its a more "natural" Maldives with sea life and I would have liked to experience the underwater restaurant. However, I ended up choosing the Waldorf because it seems like the Conrad will be at close to full occupancy on the dates that I am staying judging by the room options that are available then and I prefer to have a more secluded stay. Plus outside of the occasional snorkeling/kayak/paddleboard activity I will likely spend most of my time in the comfort of my villa and the Waldorf clearly has a superior hard product and I really wanted to maximize the Hilton Free Weekend Night Certificates.

They have reached out to me in regards to the transfer (quoted at $350 per way before taxes and service charge, so no discount) and upgrade options. While I am interested in upgrading to a reef villa for a night just to have a overwater experience, I was wondering if I might be better off waiting to get to the resort to determine my upgrade on the slight (and I'll acknowledge its very slight) possibility that they provide me with a free upgrade that I've read other people received. I doubt that the resort will have any capacity issue during my stay so I'm assuming there will be a decent chance a reef villa or worst case scenario overwater villa will be available when I arrive.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by achen24
I was wondering if I might be better off waiting to get to the resort to determine my upgrade on the slight (and I'll acknowledge its very slight) possibility that they provide me with a free upgrade that I've read other people received. I doubt that the resort will have any capacity issue during my stay so I'm assuming there will be a decent chance a reef villa or worst case scenario overwater villa will be available when I arrive.
Wait will be better, but when I post here, their manager might be watching user feedback and chose not to free upgrade you. ha ha
Also it all depends on your status, my experience in conrad Bora bora that they want couple hundreds to guarantee a water villa upgrade. We ignore it and got 4 level upgrade to 1 of the only 2 beach pool villa. I even ask manager if we can get a over water villa, he told me if we really want a downgrade.
We will try the WA Maldives next Mar, hope to have more economic transportation and generous upgrade.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by achen24
Well I might end up regretting this but I've chosen the Waldorf over the Conrad for an upcoming stay in the Maldives in a couple week. It will be my first and likely only trip to the Maldives. I was leaning towards the Conrad more because judging by what I read its a more "natural" Maldives with sea life and I would have liked to experience the underwater restaurant. However, I ended up choosing the Waldorf because it seems like the Conrad will be at close to full occupancy on the dates that I am staying judging by the room options that are available then and I prefer to have a more secluded stay. Plus outside of the occasional snorkeling/kayak/paddleboard activity I will likely spend most of my time in the comfort of my villa and the Waldorf clearly has a superior hard product and I really wanted to maximize the Hilton Free Weekend Night Certificates.

They have reached out to me in regards to the transfer (quoted at $350 per way before taxes and service charge, so no discount) and upgrade options. While I am interested in upgrading to a reef villa for a night just to have a overwater experience, I was wondering if I might be better off waiting to get to the resort to determine my upgrade on the slight (and I'll acknowledge its very slight) possibility that they provide me with a free upgrade that I've read other people received. I doubt that the resort will have any capacity issue during my stay so I'm assuming there will be a decent chance a reef villa or worst case scenario overwater villa will be available when I arrive.
I normally don’t recommend a wait and see approach on upgrades. I like to know what room I have. But my approach is different with the WA Maldives, as it was with IHG Thalasso BB. In both cases there is no bad room. If you don’t get upgrade free or paid your “base” room is better than most resorts best room.

TD

PS...you made a great choice in picking the WA!

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Ben from OMAAT booked a stay at this property and will be reviewing it in the future. Curious why other bloggers haven't reviewed it yet?
My hope is bloggers never visit or post about this resort. But I know that is a pipe dream. They will all soon add it to their rinse/repeat articles on “best places to redeem vouchers” or “best points value resorts” posts. Once that happens getting points/voucher nights will be just as dicey as all the other bucket list resorts. Glad I got my 10 days in already. Hope I am wrong and can get in another 10 days in for 2021!

TD

Last edited by Canarsie; Oct 6, 2019 at 4:50 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:32 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Traveler Dave
My hope is bloggers never visit or post about this resort. But I know that is a pipe dream. They will all soon add it to their rinse/repeat articles on “best places to redeem vouchers” or “best points value resorts” posts. Once that happens getting points/voucher nights will be just as dicey as all the other bucket list resorts. Glad I got my 10 days in already. Hope I am wrong and can get in another 10 days in for 2021!

TD
I think you’re giving bloggers too much blame for what will inevitably happen even without them. The ship already will have sailed: it’s a WA—the nicest and most aspirational brand Hilton offers—in the Maldives—one of If not the most aspirational destination for many if not most. Bloggers are only going to relay what already is on everyone’s minds, especially since Hilton doesn’t have that many truly aspirational properties like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:58 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Etihad Guest, Singapore Kris Flyer
Heads Up: I am cancelling my 3rd Nov to 8th Nov Award redemption booking in next few days. For those who are looking for last minute plans, maybe it will show redemption availability once I cancel.

Someone please convince me to do otherwise but here are my reasons:

After going through all these posts,
  • I think US$1700+ transfer and US$2500 food and activity is not worth it, since I only visited Conrad Maldives in December 2018
  • I was upgraded multiples levels to Retreat Water Villa at Conrad on my entire standard redemption booking, hence the allure of much better standard room at WA has diminished.
  • WA seems a work-in-progress till now, so would make sense to go after year or two since I stay in India, and Maldives is just short direct flight away.
  • Chances of request upgrades are understandably nil, and I hope after 2 years transfer costing, food, foliage and chances of upgrades will be sorted out.
  • I think US$4000 or less will give me 5 days non-redemption hyper luxurious properties and vacation to Thailand or Bali or UAE or even Fiji. (suggestions welcome)
Downside I can see:
  • Beach Villa will not be standard redemption next year onward.
  • Risk of Hilton Points devaluation.
My heart says to visit this property, while brain says to visit someplace new.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 8:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
My thoughts in blue;

Originally Posted by TravellerLux

After going through all these posts,
  • I think US$1700+ transfer and US$2500 food and activity is not worth it, since I only visited Conrad Maldives in December 2018 - if going back to Conrad, you pay for a seaplane $560++ per person x2 and food will be US$2000 (around 20% less than WA) in any case, so not too much more expensive than the WA.
  • I was upgraded multiples levels to Retreat Water Villa at Conrad on my entire standard redemption booking, hence the allure of much better standard room at WA has diminished. - yes and no, the RWV are nice but I would class a standard room (now that you can go RWV / OWV for no cost upgrade in 2020) to be the same class, if not better, than the PWV.
  • WA seems a work-in-progress till now, so would make sense to go after year or two since I stay in India, and Maldives is just short direct flight away. - lucky you are close to the Maldives.
  • Chances of request upgrades are understandably nil, and I hope after 2 years transfer costing, food, foliage and chances of upgrades will be sorted out. - see how a standard room is still pretty special in any case, plus the foilage matter is relatively negligble imo.
  • I think US$4000 or less will give me 5 days non-redemption hyper luxurious properties and vacation to Thailand or Bali or UAE or even Fiji. (suggestions welcome) - definitely possible, though some properties in Thailand/Bali/UAE can be quite similarly priced to this WA property.
Downside I can see:
  • Beach Villa will not be standard redemption next year onward.
  • Risk of Hilton Points devaluation.
My heart says to visit this property, while brain says to visit someplace new.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:31 pm

Spa Prices?

I'm heading there in November on points and would love to check out the Spa treatments. I've searched and can't seem to find any specific details, does anyone know what the current Spa Treatment prices are? I've checked the website and other posts on FT.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.