Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE 2018 to 2019] Waldorf Astoria Maldives Ithaafushi {MDV}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2019, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by lizakramer
Where are the Two Queen Grand Overwater Villas?
Old Oct 12, 2019, 8:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Am I correct that there are 11 one bed beach villas and 6 two queen beach villas? I'm surprised taht the demand for two queen bedrooms is so high and that there are so many guests looking to cram 3-4 people into a bedroom.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 12:17 pm

With mainland Chinese and wealthy Arab (families) as their primary target markets I'd say yes.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Just received this from the WA resort in response to an inquiry I sent them regarding the Reef Villas. This resort map shows not just the villa numbers, but also the type of villa (Grand vs Regular, 2BR, 3BR, etc...) for each category. Also, I noticed that they "fixed" the location of the Sunset and Sunrise locations from earlier versions of the map.

Hope this is helpful to others in this forum.
If I were to request my Grand OWV in the 100’s or 700’s... which would people suggest?! Especially people who have stayed in either of them, what was the view like at sunrise/sunset, trek time to breakfast/dinner etc.

thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2019, 3:30 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
MaldivesFreak i will ask where each of the ‘secluded’ events takes place! But I totally agree with the other commenter who said just get room service - we’ll be doing that one evening I think
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Delta Plat, AA Plat
Multiple reservations

Because availability has been so spotty for next year, I haven't been able to book many consecutive nights or the same room type (i.e. King some nights, 2 queens others) but I have managed to book 7 nights across 4 different reservations. I'm also hoping to tack on one more night if the availability shows up. Given the cost of this hotel, I am ok with having to move rooms 1 or twice but moving 4 times would be extreme. Has anyone else done this and had luck getting them to combine reservations and/or provide some assurances that we won't have to move too many times. These are all beach villas so I guess a way around this could be to change to a reef villa as these are for April 2020?

Any help/tips is appreciated!
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by jthomasr21
Because availability has been so spotty for next year, I haven't been able to book many consecutive nights or the same room type (i.e. King some nights, 2 queens others) but I have managed to book 7 nights across 4 different reservations. I'm also hoping to tack on one more night if the availability shows up. Given the cost of this hotel, I am ok with having to move rooms 1 or twice but moving 4 times would be extreme. Has anyone else done this and had luck getting them to combine reservations and/or provide some assurances that we won't have to move too many times. These are all beach villas so I guess a way around this could be to change to a reef villa as these are for April 2020?

Any help/tips is appreciated!
If you are US resident, you should get Amex aspire before you go with Diamond status. Then buy some points to book 4+1 redemption to save one night and combine with your free weekend night from the card. It's hard to find 4+1 point night but still possible. Or switch to Conrad that will be easier to find point night.
Although Diamond will not help much on this place but better than none. It should not be a problem to stay in the same room if you request in low season, not really need to combine in advance. Without diamond, suggest you to stick with St. Regis on SPG plat for a more reasonable transportation.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Delta Plat, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Kimomo
If you are US resident, you should get Amex aspire before you go with Diamond status. Then buy some points to book 4+1 redemption to save one night and combine with your free weekend night from the card. It's hard to find 4+1 point night but still possible. Or switch to Conrad that will be easier to find point night.
Although Diamond will not help much on this place but better than none. It should not be a problem to stay in the same room if you request in low season, not really need to combine in advance. Without diamond, suggest you to stick with St. Regis on SPG plat for a more reasonable transportation.
Sorry, realized my initial post wasn't that clear. I have managed to book 7 nights in a row using points but across 4 reservations as it wasn't all available at once. There have been reports that cancelling doesn't put it back in inventory so don't want to risk it. I already have diamond status through the aspire and given I am not paying for the room, I am not worried about the yacht transfer or the cost of food while there.

Appreciate your response, I will reach out to the hotel closer to my stay to see what they have to say but thought my situation might not be unique.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 1:57 pm

Kimomo They will be able to see if he has 'switched to Diamond via CC' (like so many people do). I doubt it will make a shred of difference, especially at this (stingy) property.

jthomasr21 They will be able to combine these so you have nothing to worry about.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 6:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak

jthomasr21 They will be able to combine these so you have nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak

If you mean they can combine his reservations so he doesn't have to change rooms, that's right.

But it sounds like he has missed out on the 5th night free benefit by booking four 1-3 night reservations over seven nights and wants to cancel and rebook but doesn't want to risk losing the redemptions. My understanding is they can't just combine the reservations to give him the 5th night free but I'd say it's worth him calling or emailing the Diamond Desk to ask about it.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: Aegean Airlines Silver, British Airways Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
Originally Posted by Michael19887
A couple of other quick questions - is there still heavy construction underway on the Stella Maris Villas and the private island? Also, do the 100s water villas appear to be open yet? Thanks!
Just seems to be still some scaffolding on one of the Stella Maris Villas but not heard any noise in last 3 days
Old Oct 15, 2019, 7:40 am

Just received this from the WA resort in response to an inquiry I sent them regarding the Reef Villas. This resort map shows not just the villa numbers, but also the type of villa (Grand vs Regular, 2BR, 3BR, etc...) for each category. Also, I noticed that they "fixed" the location of the Sunset and Sunrise locations from earlier versions of the map.

Hope this is helpful to others in this forum.
Thank you for the updated map!
Old Oct 15, 2019, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by jphripjah
If you mean they can combine his reservations so he doesn't have to change rooms, that's right.

But it sounds like he has missed out on the 5th night free benefit by booking four 1-3 night reservations over seven nights and wants to cancel and rebook but doesn't want to risk losing the redemptions. My understanding is they can't just combine the reservations to give him the 5th night free but I'd say it's worth him calling or emailing the Diamond Desk to ask about it.
If that's the case, I don't think they will combine reservation to get you a 5th night free since they want to limit it. Popular hotel likes to use tricky inventory. I made a mistake when I try to book 5 days for early March while it shows inventory for each day. After I booked the flight and tried to book 4+1 free night, it will not allow me to book even each night shows available. Contact customer service for the issue, was asked to email hotel, was told it's due to room type different(one bed or two bed different) that they won't change inventory even it's not hard for them or combine reservation to get 5th free if book separately. I was forced to change to other date and cancel original flight. Lesson learned to check 5 nights in a row even each night is available.
I am fine with their inventory control even most of them said no black out date, other hotel chains are doing the same thing. But hefty transportation over the industry average is another concern, 5th free night saving was used on transportation. Disclaimer: not a hater, just telling a truth.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 1:20 am

Wow, could this be anymore confusing:

A shared return transfer on the resort's yacht is US $700 subject to 23.2% tax and service charge per adult per way from Velana International Airport. This charge will be added to your total bill. Waiting time prior to the transfer may vary from 30-60 minutes as the transfer is combined with other guests. We appreciate your understanding.

The way they write it, makes it seem like it's $700++ each way!?!

I'm assuming that the "yacht" runs 24/7? I didn't see that in the wiki. Unlike the seaplane at the Conrad, I'm assuming if I arrive around 8pm, I can still get there same day?

Last edited by Canarsie; Oct 20, 2019 at 5:38 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:53 am

Programs: Hilton
I think so. My flight arrived some 10pm in the evening and the yacht is still waiting there. Yet I did not take that yacht, I booked a small hotel on Hulumale and arrived the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.