Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2004, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
diamond match is not going to happen

most brands will not give away their top status, it just makes no sense. one step down from top, yes. but top, no.
I hate to seem like am picking on you ( at least your posts) but SPG WILL MATCH your HH Diamond status with Platinum on a one basis time only.

mike
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
I hate to seem like am picking on you ( at least your posts) but SPG WILL MATCH your HH Diamond status with Platinum on a one basis time only.

mike
How do you get SPG to match Diamond? Maybe I am staying in the wrong places but I find minimal benefits for being a diamond, in the UK it seems practically worthless so am looking to burn my 500k points rather than add to them. The only advantage of HH I find is the ability to qualify on spend, Marriott has a ridiculous stay requirement for Platinum, SPG Plat renewal for me wouldnt be too hard if I was creative about switching hotels during a stay, and I ditched Hilton. (I requalified last month for Diamond with 33 nights, 12 stays and 116k base points).

SPG seem to give genuinely worthwhile upgrades, this for me is a much better benefit than a free breakfast which may already be included in the rate and which 9 times out of 10 I never bother with.

I know the redemptions opportunities via the Diamond Desk are quite good but again because of my stay patterns I have never found it worthwhile redeeeming.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 8:25 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
How do you get SPG to match Diamond? Maybe I am staying in the wrong places but I find minimal benefits for being a diamond, in the UK it seems practically worthless

I know the redemptions opportunities via the Diamond Desk are quite good but again because of my stay patterns I have never found it worthwhile redeeeming.

I can't address the Hilton experience for a person based outside of USA. However I can say that the people at the hilton Milton Keynes gave me a nice bottle of wine upon check-in. I assume it was based upon my Diamond status rather than my ruggedly handsome appearance.

You say you have 500k hilton points, have you been using them for leisure travel or do you just keep adding them to the heap? If you ever decide to go to HHV, I've found that as a Diamond they give you very nice upgrades. If you've never been to Hawaii's big island, and can stomach what must be something like 12,000 miles of flying, you'll see a bit of what being a Diamond can do for you. That, and if you ever have the need for the Diamond Desk work something out with a property that is causing you grief.

Cheers!
Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
How do you get SPG to match Diamond? Maybe I am staying in the wrong places but I find minimal benefits for being a diamond, in the UK it seems practically worthless so am looking to burn my 500k points rather than add to them. The only advantage of HH I find is the ability to qualify on spend, Marriott has a ridiculous stay requirement for Platinum, SPG Plat renewal for me wouldnt be too hard if I was creative about switching hotels during a stay, and I ditched Hilton. (I requalified last month for Diamond with 33 nights, 12 stays and 116k base points).

SPG seem to give genuinely worthwhile upgrades, this for me is a much better benefit than a free breakfast which may already be included in the rate and which 9 times out of 10 I never bother with.

Do a seach on the SPG board as to the fax number you need to send it to.
You should be able to find posts confirming this by William.

But all you need is to fax them your current HH Diamond statement, The BACK AND FRONT of your Diamond card and you should get Platinium until
2/2006 I believe, pretty painless.

mike
Old Nov 8, 2004, 4:05 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Just been offered a Fast Track to Diamond

Looks like perseverance is the key.

Faxed in a copy of my SPG stuff and card on Friday (for the third time).

Got an email (on Sunday) saying that 10 stays or 20 nights within the next 90 days will get me Diamond through till April 30th 2006. ^

Will definitely do 10 stays within the next 90 days so that is excellent.

pmcg
Old Dec 16, 2004, 5:44 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Got there on Base Points in the end.

Base Points are 100,320 so got there in the end.

Now can I look forward to an exotic vacation for 336,000 points with no black out dates & unlimited availability?

pmcg
Old Dec 16, 2004, 12:21 pm

Programs: AC down to Orange lol, Marriott Silver?
I think the only time Diamond did not work for availability was when I tried a last minute award booking at NYC when the hotels had no room availability and it was less than 24 hours to check in.

Just did 2 stays on awards at HHV in HNL and HWV on the Big Island and both were upgraded to Ocean view with HHV with an end unit Jr Suite type arrangement and HWV access to the exec lounge.. I preferred HWV since I found HHV and HNL a bit commercial.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Value of Going for Diamond?

As an Gold member for four years, I've never thought it possible that I could make Diamond. I continually average only around 20 stays/year (and probably only around 35 night/year). Last year, I guess, I averaged a few more stays than normal, because according to the new rolling-VIP status policy I need only 4 more stays by the end of the month to make Diamond.

With an upcoming stay in March at the HWV, I'm wondering how much sense it makes to try to make Diamond before I arrive. I currently have no stays booked between now and my HWV vacation?

Overall, throughout the Hilton family, is there much of a difference (upgrades, treatment, etc.) between Golds and Diamonds?

Do you think this change will devalue the Diamond level? I know that there would be absolutely no chance of me making diamond this year if not for this new policy.

I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 11, 2005, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Being four away, I'd do it. Grab a HI or HGI and it should be inexpensive.

Like everything, status helps. And the more you have, coupled with a positive attitude and courteous expression, usually brings additional benefits.
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Depends on where you usually stay, if it's Hamptons or Homewoods then it may not make as much sense,there isn't much bang for the diamond buck.

If it's places where suites are a possibility, then it's worth a shot.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 12:00 am

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
I'd be cautious about getting the status just days before the HWV and thinking the status will show in your account in time for Hawaii. I would not do this for the HWV trip.

The above advice is very sound. The only other thing to consider is that you will go from 25% point bonus to 50% point bonus.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 1:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I'd go for Diamond since qualifying this time of year means you have status through Feb 2007 (IIRC).

I'd also go for it if you have any interest in redeeming the 6-night premium awards. HHonors rooms are very difficult to get for places that I choose to redeem them at. HHonors Diamond made all the difference.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 5:16 am

Programs: HH Diamond, FB Plat
I second GUWonder's comments. Diamond status permitted us to secure a 6-night award stay at the gorgeous Mauritius Hilton on short notice. (Trip report here if you're interested).
Old Feb 12, 2005, 9:56 am

Programs: FT Member #8119 F & J Free Agent
Diamond status afforded me a suite at London Park Lane when no awards were available. The Diamond desk took my info and a day later they emailed me with the arrangements. I hope I always have Diamond status.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 10:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Regarding the devaluing of Diamond, I agree that this new program should result in an increase in the number of Diamonds. I just hope that Diamond doesn't become the new Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.