Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2007, 8:13 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Wow, just notice I started this thread more than 2 years ago.

Might try a stay at Rome before my Diamond expires and see how it is there.
Old May 14, 2007, 9:08 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Originally Posted by alect
In that thread I posted and am in the same position as you except $400 off Diamond. Given personal circumstances at the moment and the potential benefits, I have decided not to spend that money. I have all of my awards booked for the next 12 months and don't even know whether I will need an award after that since both my job and residence will change. YMMV.
So here's my update as of today. I need 1150 points before the end of May to make Diamond. Obviously that's a one night mattress run in a local hilton. $115 is worth it as long as it gets me something.

The other complication is that I need 12400 points before end of July which I will probably make as I have a paid and 3 award stays during July, so the paid ($475) plus incidentals on the awards would likely add up to $1240. So it seems a question as to whether getting Diamond by end of May will get me something extra for my stays in July, which are:
  • paid - La Quinta Palm Springs - paid for Deluxe Casita
  • award - Conrad Mount Juliet in Ireland
  • award - Hilton Limerick Ireland (1 night)
  • award Hilton Dublin Airport (1 night)

What are people's views whether getting Diamong in May is worth it?
Old May 14, 2007, 11:48 pm
Suspended

So here's my update as of today. I need 1150 points before the end of May to make Diamond. Obviously that's a one night mattress run in a local hilton. $115 is worth it as long as it gets me something.

The other complication is that I need 12400 points before end of July which I will probably make as I have a paid and 3 award stays during July, so the paid ($475) plus incidentals on the awards would likely add up to $1240. So it seems a question as to whether getting Diamond by end of May will get me something extra for my stays in July, which are:

Personally I would go for it if only for the Mount Juliet stay which increases your chance of getting upgraded to the main house.
Plus great breakfast free (when i stayed there) in the Lady Helens dining room.

IMHO one of the HH programs nicest properties but there have been reports here where members were not as thrilled about the cottages or apartments
which were reported to be going to be redone.

mike
Old May 15, 2007, 10:10 am
gof

Programs: UA 2P, HHonors Diamond, Hertz Gold

That's quite a few "incidentals" on three award stays (~$800). I'd say to burn the $ on the stay in May. Three overseas stays as a Gold is (probably) not going to be as "nice" as they would be as Diamond (although are these properties nice to Diamonds?). Since you consider $800 to be incidental, the cost of the one night isn't too bad.

Also consider options on that one night. You just need $ on the folio. Cheaper room (since you won't need to stay in it) plus dinner in the hotel restaurant at least gets you something. Heck, if you're not going to stay you could pick a place that has a bar and at least drink your way to the points . Or raid the mini-bar, or pick a HGI and clean out the pantry But then again, a HGI is likely to cost that much anyway, but you see where I'm going. Can you get HHonors points by ordering the fancy towels and stuff without staying? I'm a Diamond-by-stays myself, but if you're all about points, there are other ways.
Old May 15, 2007, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by gof
That's quite a few "incidentals" on three award stays (~$800).
Well given the $/Euro exchange rate it's not as much as it sounds We're holidaying in Ireland (me mrs alect and mini alect) so no doubt there will be at least some dinners in the hotel since the little one needs to be in bed by 7 or 8. Plus mrs alect has a penchance for room service
Old May 15, 2007, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by gof
Heck, if you're not going to stay you could pick a place that has a bar and at least drink your way to the points . Or raid the mini-bar, or pick a HGI and clean out the pantry But then again, a HGI is likely to cost that much anyway, but you see where I'm going. Can you get HHonors points by ordering the fancy towels and stuff without staying? I'm a Diamond-by-stays myself, but if you're all about points, there are other ways.
Not a bad idea, but then this is LA and since I am not staying, I have to get home so getting drunk is out of the question.

I live 20 mins from LAX, and a friend just emailed me that he is transitting through LAX for a couple of hours on Friday night - so I went ahead and booked the Doubletree LAX for the night - that way I can check in on my way in to meet him. I am all about the least amount of hassle.

Had I known that I was only $115 (or 80 Euro off) I would have had that much mini-bar during my stay in HEL last week
Old Jul 6, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
Does Diamond make a difference

With only 3 more stays needed in July to make Diamond, I booked three different Hilton properties on three nights for an upcoming trip to New York (can't wait to carry my suitcase around Manhattan with me for 3 days...)

Am I going to care? I've been Gold for the last 5 years and it has never really made much of a difference (oooh, vending machine pretzels left on my hotel room table!) other than the time I showed up at an oversold Hilton in Paris and ended up still getting a room. Is Diamond anything to write home about?
Old Jul 6, 2007, 10:06 am

I'd say it does, if only for the Diamond force benefits. This thread also has other opinions:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671471

Mike
Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
The Diamond force and the point bonus is the biggest thing you'll notice. There are room upgrades but I have to say that Hilton Diamond is far spottier for room upgrades than what I used to get as Marriott Plat.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:24 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Not for Me

I was a Diamond for two years, and I received no additional benefits then as a Gold. In fact I had a better upgrade (suite and Lounge access) percentage as a Gold then as a Diamond.I also saw no difference in Asia or Europe.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:49 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I've been Diamond for my last several stays. I haven't gotten any upgrades. The "Diamond Force" may become useful at some point, but so far it has limited value to me. The problem is that when a hotel is otherwise sold out the special Diamond rate is (understandably) very high. It's often hard to cost justify for my employer why I should stay at such a hotel instead of cheaper adequate lodging nearby.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
You guys are right

NOBODY should try for Diamond. That way I can get more upgrades.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Delta Platinum AA Platinum
I guess it depends where you stay because I almost always got an upgrade as a Diamond...now as a silver...NOTHING...and rightfully so as my loyalties have changed.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 4:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
If you don't travel enough or to the right properties, then Diamond won't be anything too useful to you.

I regularly get upgraded at a variety of Hilton properties (Hiltons, Hampton Inns, Hilton Garden Inns).

I can't say it is a huge leap up from when I was Gold but there were a lot more empty rooms when I was Gold--not the case now where room occupancy is so high, that I can't often get last minute rooms anymore at some of my regular establishments.

I am top tier in 3 hotel programs and all have their quirks. Upgrading is really property and season dependent so I always look at it as a bonus, not a benefit (even in Starwood's program where my success at upgrades has been less than with Hilton properties).

Unless there was some compelling promo, I doubt that I would spend extra $$$ to get the 3 more stays--but that is a choice only you can make.
Old Jul 6, 2007, 4:26 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Not worth going for Diamond

In April I descended from Diamond to Gold, and I have not noticed a difference in how I am treated. This was deliberate on my part, as I realized that *wood Plat and Hhonors Gold is a much better combination than the other way around. Hhonors is very good for Gold (breakfast, lounge access etc), whereas *wood has a big jump in amenities from Gold, where you get almost nothing, to Platinum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.