Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:19 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Is It Worth Going from Gold to Diamond?

I am Gold with 80k base points and about 280k points.

Will probably have another few stays towards the end of the year but not necessary all at Hiltons.

Assuming I was thinking of using my points for a vacation next year to somewhere nice, hot & far far away should I be thinking of making a little more effort to get another 20k base points to make Diamond?

pmcg
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:26 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
It's a heck of a lot easier to get awards, if you are Diamond.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
20k = $2,000!

That is a big effort. Might as well spend that money on a vacation. Unless you need to spend that much for hotel rooms before the end of the year, I suggest that you not spend that much for Diamond. Seems like a significant investment!
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by fromYXU
20k = $2,000!

That is a big effort. Might as well spend that money on a vacation. Unless you need to spend that much for hotel rooms before the end of the year, I suggest that you not spend that much for Diamond. Seems like a significant investment!
I fully agree. And 280k points now only gets you one 6-night stay and a few straggler nights. As said above, awards will be easier to get as a Diamond, but spending another $2000 for purposes of becoming Diamond and approximately $2000 in additional goodies via HHonors -- if you consider the maximation of another (i.e., second) 6-night award -- is just not worth it financially. Upgrades as a Diamond are not considerably different than as a Gold and the rest of the distinction is just not readily discernable on most occassions.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:45 am

Programs: HHonors Silver
Agee, but don't forget that 20k base points with very little effort is 40k+ total points, especially if you have the ability to control your bookings; e.g. book online & pay with a Visa card.

In my experience it's usually a little difficult to get to 80k base points without also coming close to Diamond in terms of nights and/or stays. Can we assume that this isn't the case for the OP?
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:56 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Originally Posted by pdhenry
In my experience it's usually a little difficult to get to 80k base points without also coming close to Diamond in terms of nights and/or stays. Can we assume that this isn't the case for the OP?
Not always true. Made Diamond with 100k, 38 nights, 13 stays.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:01 am

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by fromYXU
20k = $2,000!

That is a big effort.
I would guess that I will spend about another £700 GBP ($1250 USD) before the end of the year at Hiltons.

Perhaps I should have put the question better and said "is it worth spending another $750 or so for the status?"

On another question if I was to take an end of year stay say for 27-31st December would that definately count for my 2004 Base Points or might my Base Points be zeroed before this stay was to credit?

pmcg
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by pdhenry
Correct, I only have 13 stays and 22 nights.

pmcg
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by pmcg
Correct, I only have 13 stays and 22 nights.

pmcg
given ur travel patterns and ur avg us$400 a night rates, it'll take 2-3 stays and 5 nights, so why not? i think its worth it because:

1. diamond desk makes getting ANY award stays possible, even at the last moment.
2. upgrades, some hotels r more miserly than others and will not grant golds all their stated benefits. being diamond removes any ambuigity of what u should get.

lastly, i dont know how much individual hotels value golds, but i've had them go the extra mile for me and show me how much a diamond is valued.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:01 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs up $750? no question

I would guess that I will spend about another £700 GBP ($1250 USD) before the end of the year at Hiltons.

Perhaps I should have put the question better and said "is it worth spending another $750 or so for the status?"

On another question if I was to take an end of year stay say for 27-31st December would that definately count for my 2004 Base Points or might my Base Points be zeroed before this stay was to credit?

pmcg

if you intended to travel once a month or more and have hilton options that work for you on those trips, I think the $750 is well spent. Especially if you earn the $750 doing something you enjoy (a unplanned trip to somewhere you enjoy, not just for the purpose of earning the points but also to have fun)

you could easily get more than $750 of value when you go to use that 280k points, being diamond compared to gold. never mind the benefits you will see as a diamond during your stays during the upcoming year of your new diamond status.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, NWA
It's a minor factor compared to the others mentioned, but don't forget diamond would also get you an additional 25% point bonus on your stays next year. As much as you appear to stay, it's another reason to consider it.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
If you check out on 12/31/2004 then the stay counts for 2004. If you check out in 1/1/2005 it counts for 2005.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why not just call HHonors and ask them for a challenge or something? It's a little late now, but surely with that kind of spending pattern I think they'd be willing to bend a little.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by BigLar
Why not just call HHonors and ask them for a challenge or something? It's a little late now, but surely with that kind of spending pattern I think they'd be willing to bend a little.
I've asked a couple of times for some sort of Diamond Challenge or a Status Match on my SPG Platinum but I just get the same answer saying that I need 100k Base Points or xx stays/nights to reach Diamond.
Maybe something to do with me being UK based as I feel that I'm talking a different language to them when I contact them about this.

pmcg
Old Nov 4, 2004, 4:28 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
no way...

diamond match is not going to happen

most brands will not give away their top status, it just makes no sense. one step down from top, yes. but top, no.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.