Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2002, 4:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NM:

Just had my Diamond status renewed until 4/2004, so I am very pleased to be HH Diamond for the duration of a planned 3-month RTW family holiday. Will be taking advantage of award stay availablity. Upgrades, lounge access, breakfast etc will also result in us being willing to pay a little more to stay at Hilton properties rather than just seeking the cheapest rate. So it helps Hilton as well!
</font>
It would help Hilton much more if they could figure out a way of providing these benefits to those that gave them 5 times as much money in less stays than a typical "Hampton Inn Diamond" (not to suggest you are one) instead of pushing them to other chains with the "watered-down" Gold benefits.
Old Oct 1, 2002, 5:30 am
NM

Programs: AA Plat & LTG; QF LTG
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by venk:
It would help Hilton much more if they could figure out a way of providing these benefits to those that gave them 5 times as much money in less stays than a typical "Hampton Inn Diamond" (not to suggest you are one) instead of pushing them to other chains with the "watered-down" Gold benefits.</font>
Have only ever once stayed at a Hampton Inn. Mostly expensive Hiltons (Syd, Mel, Per, LA, London, Singapore etc), and a fair number of nights at Homewood Suites (my preference for long stays). But anyone spending 60+ nights at Hampton Inns in any one year deserves a medal as well as status .
Old Oct 1, 2002, 1:02 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have personally found a HUGE difference in the quality of the phone agents that work the diamond calls.

I actually enjoy speaking with the diamond agents. I couldn't say that about most of the agents that I talked to as a gold member.
Old Oct 1, 2002, 4:57 pm

As a Gold member, I can tell you that this week I've really wished I had that Diamond perk of guaranteed availability. I have last minute travel this weekend in northern New England - peak foliage season. I refuse to stay at a "Motor Inn."

At the moment, I'm tempted to just drive up and back for the day.
Old Oct 1, 2002, 5:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by venk:
It would help Hilton much more if they could figure out a way of providing these benefits to those that gave them 5 times as much money in less stays than a typical "Hampton Inn Diamond" (not to suggest you are one) instead of pushing them to other chains with the "watered-down" Gold benefits.</font>

Some of us are Priceline/Award stay diamonds.

Old Oct 1, 2002, 6:52 pm

Award stay diamond? Please explain. Also what's your strategy for ensuring credit on a priceline stay?
Old Oct 24, 2003, 8:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Another Should I go for Diamond thread

Ok. The last two years I have maintained Platinum with SPG, and Diamond with HHonors. Except this year, I only stayed at about ten or so Hiltons. Now I got a fast track offer for ten stays twenty nights for diamond. I have a booked stay at the SBA Double Tree, and the BOG ES in the next month. Should I focus my business to HHonors and get eight stays in by Jan15? I have noticed not a whole lot of reconition, except for my high rev stays in NYC. Well fill me in diamonds Also I am batting about 30 stays 70 nights with SPG. And I am happy enough with them to continue that next year. Hilton just does not impress me as much as SPG, and I really could not hit the 30 stay requirement with SPG out there.

Thanks
Old Oct 24, 2003, 8:53 pm

I too, am wondering whether it's worth it going for Diamond. I've been gold for a while, but don't really know what it's worth- some places it doesn't seem to count for much; others it's been good enough (BKK Conrad) that I don't know what Diamond would give me on top of it.

On one hand, I don't know how many hilton stays I'll have next year; on the other, I'm sitting on three old-school GLONs that need to be used by next may, so if diamond is incredible, it might be worth it for those three longer-than-usual stays, alone.
Old Oct 24, 2003, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Not terribly frequent stayer but I have NOT been impressed with the difference btwn gold and diamond - with the noteable exception of better award availability for diamond.

I'm currently trying out Starwood- I'm just tired of arguing for promised benefits at Hilton (as gold or diamond) with NO follow through when benefits are denied.

I am quite interested to see what my experiences are with Star- since I am muc more interested in upgrades (esp suites) than free breakfast (which I too often have to argue about). Upgrades at Hilton have been unremarkable with the exception of one hotel which I frequent often and one extraordinary upgrade for one night at a Conrad which has since seriously decreased their HH benefits
Old Oct 25, 2003, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Agree with the above. Diamond rarely recognized at domestic properties, occasionally at best at international hotels. Room upgrades become a battle, with many hotels actually telling you that you don't deserve anything special just because you are diamond. I noticed Starwood has a lurker on their board. Hilton doesn't really care about what is posted here. The attitude of Hilton employees in general is lousy. I'm going to be shopping next year, because diamond has no value.
Old Oct 25, 2003, 12:20 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
International recognition is generally good (works for me anyway). USA properties tend to be a mixed bag, sometimes yes, sometimes no and with a mixed bag of quality to boot.

That said, I have not been that impressed with my albeit limited experience as Starwood Platinum so far (internationally). I think it really depends on your travel patterns and properties. Those that can do both programs (and more) are perhaps best off as they can choose properties that will recognize their status consistently.

------------------

BlondeBomber's Star Lounge Guide
BlondeBomber's Star Alliance Gold Comparison Chart 2003
BlondeBomber's Hilton HHonors Rewards Hotel Levels (1 MB!)
BlondeBomber's Starwood Hotel Levels

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 10-25-2003).]
Old Oct 26, 2003, 12:27 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BlondeBomber:
International recognition is generally good (works for me anyway). USA properties tend to be a mixed bag, sometimes yes, sometimes no and with a mixed bag of quality to boot.</font>
fully agree.

I'll go back to my usual statement.
If work is paying for my stay, I would still be a Diamond, but if I was staying in mostly cities that had SPG properties (and my employer was paying) I would be SPG Plat and skip Diamond.

That being said, I used to travel to areas where there were no SPG properties or the price of the SPG property was too high, so Hilton fit the bill for me.

Next year I we be Hilton Gold and that is it, not by choice but just because of award stays mixed in w/a few very cheap Hampton stays.

------------------
Visit FlyerTalk Dining http://flyertalk.com/diningfr.shtml
Old Nov 5, 2003, 10:49 am

Hilton Suites - North Dallas

Has anybody been to this new property yet?

I am taking the wife for a weekend trip later this month and just made the reservation. Great rate of only $119 per night with free parking, full breakfast, and $20 Macy's gift card! The reservations agent was fantastic and even put in a request for an upgraded room without me having to ask.

Looking forward to a stay here as it has looked very nice from the outside and has a great location. However I'm hoping someone can tell me their experience.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Can't say I've been there yet, but I stay frequently at the Hilton Suites in Oakbrook IL. Very nice hotel, rooms better than Embassy or DT Suites. Nice BIG bathrooms. The only thing I found is that there tend to be lots of families on weekends, as Hilton employees use their free stays there. May be the same in Dallas. Can get a bit niosy. Might want to request a corner suite on a high floor.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 6:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, MR Plat, SPG Plat, PC Plat
I have stayed at this property several times this year, and it is a very good one. Not a "Luxury" property, but certainly not bargain basement. GREAT staff, they are very helpful and attitudes are great. You are directly across the street from a very nice shopping mall that has an ice skating rink on the bottom floor. It is an all-suite, but if you can get a corner suite, they are bit larger. The hotel seems very new and the breakfasts are nice. All in all a good property with great staff.

Also forgot to add... I recall that the high speed internet is free at this property. They also have a short range shuttle that will take you to locations that are really close by. Hope this helps!

[This message has been edited by woojink (edited 11-06-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.