Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
I am cautiously (perhaps naively) hopeful that the increased qualification requirements will distill down the Diamond population, and the benefits will improve.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:36 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by NDDomer86
Each person values his/her time differently. Some people will spend 45 minutes to earn $2 on a survey site, others will say "not worth my time". If someone doesn't want to spend 30+ minutes deciphering through multiple pages and responses and someone else is willing to give them their answer then more power to them. I really don't understand the entitlement and snarkiness of FT'ers sometimes. No one here is better than anyone else.
yep- i fully agree.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I am cautiously (perhaps naively) hopeful that the increased qualification requirements will distill down the Diamond population, and the benefits will improve.
And seeing that gold is so easy to get now, I am hoping Hilton does more in added benefits to differentiate diamonds from gold more.

Knowing Blackstone though, instead he will just cut gold benefits instead of increase diamond benefits.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by slider34
I agree about being helpful and almost never comment negatively when someone asks a question that has been ask 100 times.

But even I scratched my head a little when someone says "yeah I know about that post but don't want to read through all of it."

Most of the time if someone posts a link to a thread they original poster says "great, will read through that." Instead of saying what he said...
What I really don't understand is the assumption (by the person making the request and a lot of posters here) that the answer to that specific question is the only information contained in that thread that would have any value at all to the person making that request. As an example, if I am going to be staying at a particular hotel and I wonder if I will get a full breakfast or a continental breakfast, I have two choices:
  1. I can open the master thread on that hotel and read it. This will probably take 15-20 minutes.
  2. I can fire up a new thread to ask.
If I open the master thread and read it, I find out the answer to my question, and a lot of other information that I find helpful, such as nearby restaurants that others recommend, best way to get from the airport to the hotel, rooms to request or avoid, etc. The 15 or 20 minutes spent reading that thread is time well spent.

In the present case, the OP is asking for opinions and value judgements by other members (whether there is a substantial difference between Gold and Diamond). He is extremely unlikely to get a unanimous response. Some may feel there isn't much difference. Others (like me) may feel that there is a substantial difference. It all depends on our usage patterns. So a thread like this basically won't tell the OP anything. If he reads the master thread, with actual examples, he could have a pretty good idea of whether it would make a major difference for him. If he really wants to know, that is the only way he can find out, IMO.

Some may feel that encouraging someone to perpetuate a lack of detailed information is doing them a favor. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that point.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
It was brutal - it took me an extra 2 weeks to trigger on 2 categories for Diamond. I am still lobbying for a Super Diamond level where you get it if you hit Dmd on all three - stays, nights and points.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by orr333
It was brutal - it took me an extra 2 weeks to trigger on 2 categories for Diamond. I am still lobbying for a Super Diamond level where you get it if you hit Dmd on all three - stays, nights and points.
What about people like me that hit it four or possibly five ways?

Last year I qualified on nights, stays, surpass and citi reserve spend and possible on points as well
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Thanks for the information from those that provided it. Very useful.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Generally, I think there are three factors at play:

1. The property where you are staying. Some properties definitely treat Diamonds very well, above that of Gold. Some really just don't care that much. That is the challenge of independently-owned establishments.
2. The experience of the staff. Some staff don't care. Others go out of their way. I've gone to the same property and at times been treated like a king, others like a peon.
3. The length of stay. Generally, the shorter the stay, the better upgrades and amenities you get. Hotels like to keep high-end rooms free, so they will deny upgrades if you have a longer-term stay. I had a four night stay at Hilton Metropole, and I ended up with a really crappy room as a Diamond, and couldn't even get an hour late checkout. And I had stayed there a month before for one night, and was upgraded to a suite with a late checkout. So it really depends.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oenophilist
Generally, I think there are three factors at play:

1. The property where you are staying. Some properties definitely treat Diamonds very well, above that of Gold. Some really just don't care that much. That is the challenge of independently-owned establishments.
2. The experience of the staff. Some staff don't care. Others go out of their way. I've gone to the same property and at times been treated like a king, others like a peon.
3. The length of stay. Generally, the shorter the stay, the better upgrades and amenities you get. Hotels like to keep high-end rooms free, so they will deny upgrades if you have a longer-term stay. I had a four night stay at Hilton Metropole, and I ended up with a really crappy room as a Diamond, and couldn't even get an hour late checkout. And I had stayed there a month before for one night, and was upgraded to a suite with a late checkout. So it really depends.
As a diamond for several years, I would say it was marginal before and a definite no now as far as making an extraordinary effort to obtain. As others have stated, the extra points are no incentive and the upgrades and breakfasts are something you might be better off buying outright when and where it matters.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 9:58 am

Programs: SPG Plat,MR Plat Spire Plat/IC Amb, Choice Plat, BW Plat
Originally Posted by IcHot
As others have stated, the extra points are no incentive and the upgrades and breakfasts are something you might be better off buying outright when and where it matters.
Absolutely agree...my business travels used to finance personal travels with points etc but with all the deflating loyalty programs its gone back to mostly "buy what you really want" for personal or important stays and enjoy the incidental status perks along the way. Behavior modifying loyalty programs are not as fun as they used to be in just about any brand it seems
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It is easier to ignore the contributions already made by members, isn't it?

But some of us have already contributed to that thread, so we may not feel like repeating ourselves.

Originally Posted by jeffers
Yeah I saw that, but it's very hard to get anything useful out of a 43 page thread without spending hours sifting through :/
Old Jul 13, 2013, 4:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
It is easier to ignore the contributions already made by members, isn't it?

But some of us have already contributed to that thread, so we may not feel like repeating ourselves.
Hey listen, I read that thread. This is what really pisses me off about forums sometimes; there would barely be any new threads if people just read old ones.

I am not willing to sift through a 40+ page thread. I have gleamed more information from the replies on this thread than I did in the 30 minutes sifting through that (and I must add, 10 year old) thread.

If you don't have anything useful to add, just move on.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold 1MM+) Hilton Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, AMEX Platinum
I just re-qualified this week for another year of Diamond through 2014, and based upon my lack of success of getting upgrades, I wouldn't go out of my way if you're already Gold to go for Diamond if it's going to cost you. Being Gold will get you most of the benefits Diamond's get. On my last stay, as usual, I asked if I could get an upgrade. I was told there were no upgrades available, but they advised me that they did put me on the 13th floor.

WOW...what a benefit!

1 suite upgrade in the last 19 stays!
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:12 pm

Programs: SQ
After my last stay in Barcelona as a G - no lounge, horrible conti breakfast in lobby bar - I'm almost willing to MR for D
Old Jul 13, 2013, 10:29 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I just requalified for Diamond in 2014. I really only have it for the 48-hour availability. That's saved me a few times. Used to be nice when you could book either cash or award stays using the guaranteed availability, but the point option went away a few years ago.

I've never really seen many upgrades over the years, but I did have a decent one at the Grand Wailea (plus they waive the resort fee) a couple weeks ago.

If you're close, I'd shoot for it. Extra points are never a bad thing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.