Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2013, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by SvnTwoo
So far I have not seen any benefit to being a Diamond with Hilton, Marriott is another story though IMO and far more benefit.
This diamind members has the same opinion. Only small diamond benefit over gold benefit. So, why spend too much money for diamond?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
My wife and I received an upgrade for 7 nights to a 1500 Sq Ft Suite in Hawaii as a Diamond Member. That was worth more than $400.00 IMO.

I can't remember the last time we weren't upgraded due to being a Diamond member. So for me it's worth the price, and the 50% increase in points adds up fast.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gemac
There are guaranteed perks and maybe perks. Guaranteed perks are things like lounge access, maybe perks are things like upgrades. Don't count on the maybe perks. Look at the guaranteed perks, compare to what you have now, and you decide. You are smart enough to be able to make this decision without help.
It appears that the overwhelming majority of FlyerTalkers were not persuaded by the above statement, and in fact they disagree with it strongly. In view of that, it must be incorrect and I withdraw it.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, WN RR A-list+
Is Diamond worth it for a casual traveler?

I do not travel for work but due to family/personal reasons I'm in San Diego 1-2 times a month staying at a hotel. I wont hit Diamond on nights but if I play the shuffle game I could hit it on stays. I have played around with the reservations and it would be an extra $5-$20 per trip to do this. My wife and I have yet to take a honeymoon (related to the reason we are in San Diego so much) and I assume having Diamond would help our chances of a honeymoon upgrade.

Would it be worth it?

Last edited by poser; Jun 27, 2013 at 11:36 am
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: Hyatt D/HHonors D/ SPG P/ Marriott P/ IHG P/ UA 1K/ AA EXP/ DL D
Yes and no, depending which hotel you will go to.

I also play shuffle game to maximize airline miles earning and many times inadvertently became a diamond member.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by lewende
Yes and no, depending which hotel you will go to.

I also play shuffle game to maximize airline miles earning and many times inadvertently became a diamond member.
Wow I totally forgot about the airline miles ! I should have been doing this months ago and I would have tons of miles and Diamond already.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond BA Blue
I am 3rd year of diamond and obtain it on stays. I typically have 4 stays a year for work, the rest of my stays are leisure travel with my wife.

Speaking from my own experience it is worth having diamond although we have only travelled in the UK and Europe.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
HH Gold is absolutely worth it for free breakfasts.

HH Diamond has a good chance of upgrades at low-end properties (the local Hampton Inn), and a good chance of small upgrades at high-end properties (higher floor, better view, but same room), and a small chance of a big upgrade (suite).

For the amount of $$ it will cost you, obviously it makes sense -- the question is if the shuffle will drive you insane.

Don't be surprised if on your upcoming honeymoon you do not get any upgrade at all, even as a diamond -- as that has happened to me more often than the suite upgrades. (no upgrade at all, not honeymoons!)
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by some dude
HH Gold is absolutely worth it for free breakfasts.

HH Diamond has a good chance of upgrades at low-end properties (the local Hampton Inn), and a good chance of small upgrades at high-end properties (higher floor, better view, but same room), and a small chance of a big upgrade (suite).

For the amount of $$ it will cost you, obviously it makes sense -- the question is if the shuffle will drive you insane.

Don't be surprised if on your upcoming honeymoon you do not get any upgrade at all, even as a diamond -- as that has happened to me more often than the suite upgrades. (no upgrade at all, not honeymoons!)
I should be able to stay pretty close with minimal driving.. And there is another HI opening that should further reduce travel time.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: all
HH diamonds IMHO are treated better outside the US
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
I have been treated reasonably well at Hilton's in SD

Gas Lamp upgraded me to a suite, great AM breakfast
Mission Valley's DT's have given me an upgrade but are usually a bit cheap about breakfast (upgrade from continental) but then offer free parking, so go figure.

SD is a good Hilton city, for the extra few bucks...why not
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: HHonors: Diamond. US Dividend Miles: Gold. Hertz: President's Circle
Originally Posted by pantanal
HH diamonds IMHO are treated better outside the US
This is very true. I stayed at 3 Conrads and a Hilton resort in Asia last year and the service was excellent. I just attained diamond status for the first time when I went and I thought those lounges/service was going to be the norm. While it's definitely not I do appreciate the better rooms/free breakfast/free internet when I travel.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 4:52 pm

I earn Diamond on casual travel and enjoy the benefits from European hotels. We accomplish this on stays.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 5:02 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I have made Diamond the last 4 years on stays, jumping around to mazimize stays each last quarter. I usually stay at DT and HGI, sometimes Hilton, advoiding HI.

I see no upgrade benefit Gold vs Diamond in US.

I use my points to vacation travel outside the US and see substantial benefits as a Diamond outside the US. The exec lounges are better, even if it means getting diet cokes each night for my wife. The Diamond concierge at one location has contacted my next location just to make sure an early check in from an overnight flight goes smoothly. I have had four wireless devices connected to the free internet that would have cost almost half the cost of the room.

I probably will not have 30 stays this year.

I think I will miss it.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
For the casual traveler, get the new HHonors Reserve credit card that gives you Gold status for $95 annually- Gold perks and points. Not all members would recommend this, but check it out for yourself and decide. (Many would probably agree the difference between Diamond and Gold is not worth the extra stays / spend, etc. to get Diamond, or the Surpass spend to gain it either.)

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 29, 2013 at 9:40 am Reason: correct (sleeping at the keyboard!) - mahalo, cblaisd!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.