Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Old Feb 14, 2002, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold

I am one of the lucky people at the end of last year that got offered the promotion where I will get credited double stays for the first quarter this year. I currently have 5 stays planned, and would need 9 more this quarter to make Diamond status. I figure I can get rooms for an average of $60 a stay, so that "stay run" would cost me about $540 to make Diamond. Is it worth it? Another variable is that I will be making an ALON stay in both Hawaiian Village and Waikoloa the June. I have read that the chances for upgrade at Waikoloa are much better if you are Diamond...
Old Feb 14, 2002, 4:31 pm

I think it is worth it!! Consider these facts: If you make Diamond this year you will have the status until April of 2004 (if you qualify in 2002 you receive status for following year, 2003). I have been to the Waikoloa as a Gold and a Diamond and believe me the treatment as a Diamond is far superior. (worth the $540 alone) As a Diamond I have never been turned down for an award reservation, as a Gold I could never find one.

Yes it is worth it, if I were in your shoes, I would start making some cheap weekend plans at different locations each night. Remember you will also get double miles 9 stays 9,000 miles and the online booking bonus is 1,500 points per stay. The time has never been better, go for it.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 4:37 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cy-gone:
online booking bonus is 1,500 points per stay.</font>
FWIW, 1,500 points online booking bonus is a targeted promo. Regular online booking bonus is 1,000 points.
Old Feb 14, 2002, 5:09 pm

unless you have (5) 1-night stays planned, I would just play games with them and break up the stays...

i.e. assume there is only 1 HH property in town... if you have a 3 night stay planned, stay at the HH property on nights 1 & 3 and somewhere else on night 2. That will get you (2) stays...

or you could do my version of the double dip and "hotel-hop" within HH properties in a given city. Go from the Hilton to the Doubletree to and then back to the Hilton and get (3) stays... it is really sweet if you have two reasonably priced hotels becuase you'll get the airline miles (currently 1k) for each "stay"...

curious, SPG forbids "back-to-back" stays within the same city, yet HH does not have language to the effect that I've seen.

I think this is the most economical way to get this done... even if you have two-night stays, break 'em up.

[This message has been edited by EWR-COflyer (edited 02-14-2002).]
Old Feb 15, 2002, 6:00 am

I've seen another post about staying in one location for a week - you politely ask the desk clerk to enter your HH number for 2 nights, not the third night, and then again for the fourth/fifth nights. That way it looks to the system like two valid stays without the hassle of moving locations. You miss one nights points though.

Must confess I stay in one location a week at a time and still haven't tried it myself, but I have no problem putting in 60 nights in a year to keep my Diamond status.

Worth a try - worst they can say is no!
Old Feb 15, 2002, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, HH Gold
EWR-COflyer,

My 5 stays are single-nighters. I have actually already had 4 of them - we went to Orlando over New Years and switched hotels every night. My Mom and I even booked separate rooms so that we both got the 4 stays! She did get registered for the nifty double stay thing, though... Anyway, it looks like I will be spending a number of weekend nights over the next 6 weeks at local hotels. I may not stay for the night, but at least I can go swimming!
Old Feb 15, 2002, 7:00 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Guaranteed - if everyone starts hotel-hopping (not two stays in two properties per trip, but a 5 night stay at 5 different properties, or one stay per night at each of 2 properties) HHonors will regulate against it, or raise the qualifying requirements.

Lets not kill a good thing through abuse.
Old Feb 15, 2002, 7:35 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I think it will only be a small minority that will pingpong back and forth, although a few more might think it worthwhile just to get your status initially and then cool off. Most people can't be bothered for the few points and status in my experience.

Think about the extra time and effort to do this, not to mention your sanity. Time is money . . .
Old Feb 15, 2002, 8:29 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Abuse???

FWIW, I personally know at least one FT'er who never stays at any given hotel two nights in a row - period!

Needless to say, they are HHonors Diamond!

And they have lots & lots of points too!

BTW, for the record, it surely ain't me either!

FWIW, I agree with BB!

Old Feb 15, 2002, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Doc, I know you are not talking about me, but I do fall into that category. I hotel hop for my first 28 nights of every year (if location allows for it). Never had a problem with posting of points or stay credits unless it was LV and then I don't think it was a Hilton issue but a Park Place Ent issue.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by doc:
Abuse???

FWIW, I personally know at least one FT'er who never stays at any given hotel two nights in a row - period!

Needless to say, they are HHonors Diamond!

And they have lots & lots of points too!

BTW, for the record, it surely ain't me either!

FWIW, I agree with BB!

</font>
Old Feb 16, 2002, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NJDavid:
Guaranteed - if everyone starts hotel-hopping (not two stays in two properties per trip, but a 5 night stay at 5 different properties, or one stay per night at each of 2 properties) HHonors will regulate against it, or raise the qualifying requirements.

Lets not kill a good thing through abuse.
</font>
I really don't think it is abusing the system. HHonors knows this practice of "hotel hopping" exists, and clearly allows it within their rules. I was definitely guilty of this when the first BT2YM promo came out and I was at SFO. Embassy one night, Garden Inn the next, throw in the DoubleTree for some change. Voila! Four nights, Four stays, all hotels within spitting distance.

[This message has been edited by chexfan (edited 02-16-2002).]
Old Jun 7, 2002, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
Hilton HHonors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

I'm currently HH Gold, MC Plat, HY Diamond.

I rec'd one of the targeted mailers from HH "stay 25 nights by 9/30" and get Diamond.

Well, I've got my MC Plat thru 1/04(already requalified), HH Gold til 2/03, HY Diamond til 4/03 (almost requalified).

Question is, should I chase the HH Diamond since MC is already done and HY is almost there, or should I enjoy the perks at MC and HY without going for another top tier?

For those of you who enjoy top tier at these three chains is the HH Diamond worth it? I know what the alleged differences in the perks between Gold and Diamond are, but in real life, are you treated better?

Thanks!

------------------
Not sure where I'm going, but I'm gettting there fast.
Old Jun 7, 2002, 4:56 pm

Location: Texas AA EXP 4.5 mm, United Gold, Marriott Plt, Hilton Diamond
I stay in Hotels 200 nites a year and have maintained top tier in all three programs. The benefit is that I can usually find an acceptable hotel no matter where my projects take me.

Having the top tier status makes a huge difference when you check into a hotel, everything goes much more smoothly.

So far this year, with the 2500 point online bonus and the 50,000 point promotion. Hilton has received the majority of my hotel stays.

------------------
AA member since 1981
Old Jun 7, 2002, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT, DL DM 2MM, MC LT Titanium, IHG Spire, HY Glbist
I agree have some sort of status makes check in easier. But is the jump from Gold to Diamond that big a difference at HH? At some HY properties, they have a separate line for Diamond check in.

I'm running about 60% on suite upgrades, 90% to Regency club floor (where they still have them) at HY, 80% to concierge level, 15% to suites at MC.

------------------
Not sure where I'm going, but I'm gettting there fast.
Old Jun 7, 2002, 5:26 pm

I have been diamond for 4 years now and find Hilton fantastic for upgrades and award availability.
Unfortunately I wont make it this year as my travel has slowed.
it is a shame as Hilton Group were wonderful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.