Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2014] Hilton Honors Diamond VIP Status: Is It Really Worth It?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2006, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
I'd do this sort of thing if and only if I was having fun, of one kind or another, with those hotel stays.
Old May 17, 2006, 8:18 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Unless you have a really good reason that you need to be Diamond for (special vacation...) I do not think it's worth it. Status for a year is worth it if you stay in HH properties a lot. Spend your points on a stay you can really enjoy.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
I have yet to receive any benefits (save the extra 25% bonus) different than what I was acustomed to receiving as a gold. So, reaching Diamond has been a bit of a let down to me.
Old May 18, 2006, 11:48 am

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Originally Posted by gof
2. No Blackout dates isn't the same as Diamond force, but I agree that the no blackout dates for Gold does minimize the value of Diamond. The biggest benefits would be:
  • Additional 25% points
  • Better treatment overseas
  • Potentially better upgrades domenstically
  • Access to the Diamond desk
Sadly, sadly, sadly .. no matter how much we want to deny it, no blackout dates is exactly the same as Diamond force when it comes to award reservations.

But your list is accurate ... those are the benefits.... except you also get a robe to use at Embassy Suites hotels.
Old May 24, 2006, 6:56 am
ckc

Programs: AC-SE, HH - Gld
Worth the expense to get Diamond from Gold?

Here's my scenario:
A recent job change means no more business travel. I am currently Gld and based in Toronto.
My fastrack offer is apparently good until July 31, 2006, although the HH website shows it valid until Dec. 31.

I currently need for Diamond
7 stays
10 nights
25,000+ bp

I've never been Diamond, and I have about 230k points in the bank, and an upcoming award stay (6 nts) at Cavalieri in late July/early August.

I've stayed at GW in Maui a few times over the year, and may continue to do so.

It's possible I may take a leisure trip shortly and have a few nights somewhere.

In peoples' opinion, is it worth a mattress run out of pocket at local Hilton properties (avg cost $140+ CAD a night) for Diamond when I won't be traveling much any more?

Thanks
ckc
Old May 24, 2006, 7:19 am

Programs: FD silver, PC plat. royal ambassador, SPG gold, HH gold, MR silver
If you don't travel much, I doubt it the extra perks will be worth it to spent CAD$1000 just to become diamond. If I were you, I rather use the bucks just to maintain Gold for the next year aswell
Old May 24, 2006, 8:08 am

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by ckc
Here's my scenario:
A recent job change means no more business travel. I am currently Gld and based in Toronto.
My fastrack offer is apparently good until July 31, 2006, although the HH website shows it valid until Dec. 31.

I currently need for Diamond
7 stays
10 nights
25,000+ bp

I've never been Diamond, and I have about 230k points in the bank, and an upcoming award stay (6 nts) at Cavalieri in late July/early August.

I've stayed at GW in Maui a few times over the year, and may continue to do so.

It's possible I may take a leisure trip shortly and have a few nights somewhere.

In peoples' opinion, is it worth a mattress run out of pocket at local Hilton properties (avg cost $140+ CAD a night) for Diamond when I won't be traveling much any more?

Thanks
ckc
Did you actually received the fast track offer or did the offer just show up online automatically? Check out this thread, it appears only those received the actual offer are eligible for the fast track.
Old May 24, 2006, 8:12 am
ckc

Programs: AC-SE, HH - Gld
Originally Posted by rdchen
Did you actually received the fast track offer or did the offer just show up online automatically? Check out this thread, it appears only those received the actual offer are eligible for the fast track.
In late April, at the suggestion of other posts on this forum, I emailed HH and on the second "attempt" was offered the fast track to DIA. Thanks for pointing out the caveat though.
ckc
Old May 24, 2006, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
I qualified for Diamond based on personal travel

Whether to go for this will depend on your future travel plans. If you plan to do significant personal travel, particularly to category 6 or International hotels, Diamond is definitely worth it. Last weekend was upgraded at the Hilton Hawaiian Village to a corner ocean front room with two lanais and a gorgeous view of Diamond head. At the Hilton Buenos Aires and the Conrad Bangkok was upgraded to executive floors. This plus the extra point earnings do make it worthwhile for me. To initially qualify (became Diamond in October), I did things like stay at three different Hiltons (different one each night) last summer on a trip to Maine (qualified on the basis of stays).

If you can qualify for Diamond based on stays and can do so at the lower price range hotels (eg Hampton and HGI) and your diamond status is good through April 08, I would do it.
Old May 25, 2006, 11:34 am
D&D

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold
How long is Diamond status good for?

I will probably qualify for Diamond in June 2006 based on stays.

I am trying to identify how long my Diamond status will last for if I do hit 28 stays in June. I called HHonors, 1st rep didnt know and then I got 2 different answers from there.

1 person told me it would last for 1 full year after the initial qualification (thus June of 2007).

The other told me that it would last until April 2008 (as April is when they requalify people each year and thus they cant requalify me in April 2007 as it will be less than 1 year).

Anybody know definitively which story is correct?

Reason I ask, I know it will be unlikely that I qualify for Diamond again next year based on my travel patterns, and I want Diamond status for a July 2007 trip to some international hilton locations... Hoping April 2008 is correct!
Old May 25, 2006, 12:10 pm

Programs: HH, PC, SPG, MR, GP, US, UA, AA
Originally Posted by D&D
I will probably qualify for Diamond in June 2006 based on stays.

I am trying to identify how long my Diamond status will last for if I do hit 28 stays in June. I called HHonors, 1st rep didnt know and then I got 2 different answers from there.

1 person told me it would last for 1 full year after the initial qualification (thus June of 2007).

The other told me that it would last until April 2008 (as April is when they requalify people each year and thus they cant requalify me in April 2007 as it will be less than 1 year).

Anybody know definitively which story is correct?

Reason I ask, I know it will be unlikely that I qualify for Diamond again next year based on my travel patterns, and I want Diamond status for a July 2007 trip to some international hilton locations... Hoping April 2008 is correct!
If you qualified for Diamond the first time this year, then your status will last until April 2008. As for the subsequent re-qualification, that is the million $ question that everyone on this board is trying to figure out . Since you are Gold already, unless you travel overseas a lot, basically you will get the same benefits as Diamond in NA. There is a way to make your Diamond status valid all the way to April 2009: if you complete your 28th stay in Jan. 2007, based on the HH T&C Once a member attains a tier level, it will remain in effect through April of the second calendar year following the period in which the member qualified., your Diamond status will be good until April 2009.
Old May 27, 2006, 12:16 pm

Diamond vs. Gold

Insofar as I can tell (please let me know otherwise) the only (documented) differences between Diamond and Gold are

1) Diamond has guaranteed reservations for cash, however there is no cap on price or guarantee of rates
2) Diamond has guaranteed reservations for points (as a side effect of (1))
3) Expanded choices in some minor benefits, e.g. bottles of water, etc.
4) 50% vs. 25% bonus on points for paid stays

Anything I missed. As a Diamond for the past many years, I do have to wonder if it's worth it, given I could benefit from SPG Platinum.
Old May 27, 2006, 12:32 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
From what I understand when the hotels do their upgrades for HHonors they start with Diamonds first. So, if you are a Gold and and the hotel is crowded with HHonors your chances of being upgraded as a Gold is less.

sdcarver
Old May 27, 2006, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ICH Ambassador, HH Gold VIP, Starwood Platinum Preferred, UA Premier, AA, Marriott Bonvoy
Upgrades

Over the past 2 months (as Diamond) I received 2 breakfasts per day at the Beverly Hilton, a value of 35.00. At the Pasadena Hilton I received a suite upgrade and 2 breakfasts.
Old May 27, 2006, 1:11 pm

Programs: IC Platinum Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
I am planning on going to the Pasadena Hilton soon as a Gold hopefully I will have the same treatment as Camino1

sdcarver

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.