Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Will parking or resort fees be waived for gold/diamond?

Looks like resort fee is $30 per day. Parking $39, Valet $49. Taxes are 11.56%.

Last edited by Jaimito Cartero; Aug 9, 2017 at 9:05 pm
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
We have a reservation for late September, and we're pretty excited to check this property out. Does anyone know if they have an Executive lounge?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel
We have a reservation for late September, and we're pretty excited to check this property out. Does anyone know if they have an Executive lounge?
No executive lounge.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any reviews since the actual switch to Hilton? I see GG’s preHilton review only.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 10:50 am

We stayed for two nights in late September, in the main Victorian building. It reminded me a lot of the Waldorf Astoria in New York: the architecture was stately and the history of the hotel was palpable, but the rooms themselves were well-worn and could use some updating.

We originally booked a Victorian Room King, but they didn't have any when we checked in, so first they tried to put us in the Ocean Tower. We let them know that we wanted to stay in the Victorian building, so they then set us up with a 2 Queen room that overlooked the loading dock. The sounds from the dock were pretty noticable, so I asked them if there was anything quieter, and they finally put us in a 2 Queen overlooking the internal courtyard.

As I mentioned earlier, the room was a bit well-worn, but fine for sleeping. The size was fine, with plenty of room to walk around. (Admittedly, the room by the loading dock was significantly larger.) There were also events hosted in the courtyard while we were there, so it wasn't much quieter than the other room, but I'd much rather hear music than trucks. There was also a Saturday evening event on the ocean side as well, which we heard from our room until around 9 or 10pm.

For us, the main draw of the hotel was the food and the common spaces. Meals at the Sheerwater were tasty, the pool was warm and not crowded, and walks along the beach were scenic, particularly at night when the Victorian building was lit up.

Overall, it was a nice stay as a destination, just to check it out, but it's probably not a property we would visit regularly.
Jaimito Cartero likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Also stayed here recently - two nights at the weekend on certificates. Had a queen Victorian room booked but my sister decided to join my wife and me at the last minute and we called ahead trying to get a two queen room but were not able to change as we were inside the cancellation window. Got to the hotel and asked for a two queen room and the clerk said, what about a junior suite? I asked if it had a view, was told no but it was a nice room - Probably 25 feet long by 15 feet wide. Had a 6 foot by 8 foot walk in closet and large bathroom with rainhead shower. Three of us were happy in the room although the view was of a roof and other rooms with the parking lot in the distance.

Breakfast was good - $20 to upgrade to hot with omelettes, sausage, bacon, the usual Hilton hot assortment I see in Europe. Did that one day - my wife never upgrades as she likes fruit and yogurt and a bagel for breakfast. Second day we both got the cold buffet and there was plenty with salami, ham, lox, bagels, pancakes, fruit, cereal, bread, etc. My sister had to go elsewhere for breakfast or pay $40 for the buffet and she had just done that at the Westin in LA and we did not hear the end of it so she walked downtown. Turned out my total charge at checkout was $30 for the one upgraded breakfast and a tip. There was no resort fee charged and I would guess this is true for all point/certificate stays. Interestingly I did not get charged for parking either. Self parked at what the website said was $59 a day while the lot sign said $70 a day. No problem with in and out but I did not valet. Oversight or benefit? I did not ask and fully expected a charge to my cc.

Pool was nice. Jacuzzi was okay. Attentive waitstaff poolside if you wanted food/drink. Restaurants looked nice but pricey ($26 for a personal pizza). Beautiful beach and easy walk to downtown. As I had served in the Navy at Coronado Amphib base Beachmaster Unit back in the day, it was a bit of a bucket list item for me as I used to take guests to the Del for a drink there but never stayed.

Room was going for $450 per night plus tax plus resort fee so most likely would not pay that. This benefit is the biggest thing I am going to miss about the Reserve Visa.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:08 pm

We self-parked and were charged $39/night as a Diamond.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Just booked a reward stay for 1 night Dec 22. Had a choice of VIctorian King or Cabana King for 69,000 points. Anyone familiar with these room types?
Thanks
Old Dec 7, 2017, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Victorian, for sure. One nght in Victorian will be brilliant.

The other option is California Cabanas or Ocean Tower - hotel decides at checkin.
The latter is tragic, the former not bad.
My worry would be, as a free night, getting stuck in Ocean Tower.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lowest point stay I’ve seen so far is 59k. I have a Victorian double queen booked in January.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, HH Diamond, Enterprise Gold
Dining

Just booked a stay here for an upcoming weekend, but with Christmas it seems that many of the restaurants are already appearing booked on OpenTable. Is there any preference given or reservations held for guests (vs walk ons)?
Edit: Checking agin it seems like just the Sunday brunch isn’t open for booking. Any suggestions to get in? (Diamond member if it makes any difference and I booked a suite.)Edit2: Their site is confusing and they have another method for booking brunch this month due to Santa.

Last edited by spchester; Dec 10, 2017 at 6:52 pm
Old Jan 2, 2018, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
After reading some of the reviews on TripAdvisor and on here, we were a little nervous about diamond treatment at the Hotel del Coronado.

We ended up having an incredible stay, loved the historical feel of the property and the beach and spa were amazing (the spa has a private pool which was worth the daypass fee to utilize the spa). Plus with our Diamond status we were upgraded to a beautiful Victorian Suite. Definitely wouldn’t hesitate to return.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 7:33 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, HH Diamond, Enterprise Gold
They treated me well as a diamond when I was there a few weeks ago. I tried to pay for an upgrade and they put me in a much more expensive room for free. They also did not charge us for a number of things like the pet fee and parking. I thought the food offerings were pretty good and would definitely stay here again given the opportunity.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My one night stay on points

I just finished a one night stay here. It’s an interesting property, certainly. It’s fun to ride the elevator with Andrew, but he looks pretty worn out.

The checkin was rather chaotic. Only a small sign for honors, and a big line of people who gave you a bit of a stare for going in that line.

They gave an upgrade to a coastal view. Not great, and way on the side of the victorian building. The small bathroom was in a bit of disrepair. Wallpaper peeling off, huge bubbling of paint in there, too. The soap and lotions smelled nice.

The light was also funky. Sometimes it worked, other times or would only turn on for a second. If you were taking a long shower, the light turned off. Only one water was in the room.

You could see many layers of old paint on the walls and doors in the room. I know it’s a very old property, but a $400 room, you’d think they do a bit better.

Self parking was charged. Bell staff were very helpful. No resort fee on this award stay. The restaurant was ok. I got the $20 upgrade, but wasn’t wowed with the additional items. Tried the crab and egg hollandaise, but the egg was overcooked. Nice tamales and fruit. Tons of tour groups gawking whike you’re eating outside.

I’m glad we got a chance to stay here, but it wouldn’t be on my list to repeat unless some jumbo came around.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bathroom
Trying again for the bathroom pic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.