Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by JetSet05
You can use your certificate on a few different rooms:
-Queen Victorian
-King victoriam
-2Queens Victorian
-King Tower/Cabana
-2 Queens Tower/Cabana
That's great news. Now I'll have to go back and read this whole thread to see which is best for us.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:40 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
We'll be arriving to Hotel Del later this month. Flying into LAX and then driving down after a few days' stay. Do we need to keep our car rental once we arrive at Hotel Del? Meaning, could I get us checked in at the hotel, drive back over to SAN and return the rental, then as a family Uber to the airport when we check out a few days later? Seems a bit silly to pay $50/day to park the car when all my kids want to do is stay at the beach the three days we'll be on Coronado.

Also, if our return flight is on Tuesday the 4th at 9am, should I request an Uber for 6am or is that too early? Not sure if there's a typical morning jam when going over the causeway. (Flying Alaska Airlines, checking bags, and we all have KTNs)

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by JaysonW; Aug 12, 2018 at 11:52 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:37 am

Originally Posted by JaysonW
We'll be arriving to Hotel Del later this month. Flying into LAX and then driving down after a few days' stay. Do we need to keep our car rental once we arrive at Hotel Del? Meaning, could I get us checked in at the hotel, drive back over to SAN and return the rental, then as a family Uber to the airport when we check out a few days later? Seems a bit silly to pay $50/day to park the car when all my kids want to do is stay at the beach the three days we'll be on Coronado.

Also, if our return flight is on Tuesday the 4th at 9am, should I request an Uber for 6am or is that too early? Not sure if there's a typical morning jam when going over the causeway. (Flying Alaska Airlines, checking bags, and we all have KTNs)

Thanks for your help!
If plan to stay at the hotel turn the car in. There are many things to do in the downtown SD area where you wont need a car. If you plan to go to Sea World, Zoo or Wild Animal Park you might want to keep it. But you can Uber around if needed. Do the math to see what makes sense.

There will be AM traffic, but 3 hours is too early in my opinion. I presume you are flying domestic? For that I would get to the airport an hour early. If will not take more than 30 minutes to get to the airport from The Del. But check with them when you are there. They can give you their thoughts.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:38 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond, United Global Services
Resent Reward Stay Trip Report

Check In
I did OLCI, and upon arrival at the hotel requested an upgrade. They were at full occupancy during the stay, with the exception of one night, thus no potential upgrade offered. We were traveling with a toddler, and I was happy at how fast the crib was sent to our room. Note, this is a real crib, not a pack n play! For diamonds, they left us cookies in the room, which were excellent! They also included a card, which was neat that they noted on the card that it was my 363rd stay at a Hilton.

Room
We stayed in the Victorian building in a king bed room overlooking the middle terrace gardens. The balcony was HUGE! I did wish the balcony had more furniture and lighting, as it only had 2 chairs and a small table. The room itself was very small. My favorite part about the room was that it had a powerful fan, which is so rare to find! Despite the size of the hotel, I found the room very quiet. I liked the feature on the TV that enabled us to use bluetooth to stream music from our phones.

Besides the small size, the biggest con were ants. I must have killed at least 200 ants during the stay. I complained several times, and nothing was done about it, and there was no offer to change rooms. Finally on the 4th day I spoke to the GM. He applied a credit to my room, and delivered a very nice gift to my room for my child. Oh and another con-water pressure in the shower. Almost non existent!

Food and drinks
We ate at many of the resort restaurants, and every meal was fantastic. My husband hates eating at hotels, but absolutely didn't mind eating at the del. The biggest con was the price of the food and drinks. Drinks were Vegas priced. We ended up going to a close by liquor store to buy a few bottles of wine.

For breakfast, we used the coupons for continental breakfast each morning. The spread was actually pretty decent, and we never paid the $20 upgrade for the full breakfast. Although in hindsight, when considering the steep food prices at The Del, the $20 up-charge is a bargain deal!

Hotel Grounds
In the early evening, we loved sitting on the massive green lawn, and letting our kid play. Tons of kids and their families were playing, and we found it very enjoyable. However, warning-if their is a wedding planned that weekend on a Saturday on the lawn(spoiler-there likely will be), the lawn will be off-limits from Friday afternoon through Saturday evening. This was a major bummer for us.

Staff
Overall most of the staff was great. While they have room for improvement in a few areas. Service recovery is one area of improvement... It shouldn't have taken 4 days of ants to speak to a GM to receive some type of service recovery. In addition, it really bothered me that on one morning of breakfast, our server came to us and said "you need to leave a tip, because it is not included with the coupons." He didn't leave a $0.00 check for me to leave a tip, just straight up said he wanted a tip after only coming to our table once to give us coffee during our meal. I should note-that normally I do tip on my coupon use.

Proximity to Naval Base
We were there during Hell Week. Which was actually super cool at first. The first night the navy seals were training on the beach in front of the hotel at night. That was awesome. We also were taking pictures of the helicopters in the distance and noticed we got pictures of the seals being dropped into the ocean via helicopter. Very cool! It was neat to see all the helicopters and fighter jets flying over. However, it got old quick. They would pass by every 15 minutes, and it was LOUD. And it lasted until about 10:30 or 11pm at night.

Overall
Would I stay here again, yes! This was a fantastic hotel! Although I may be more selective on my room during OLCI, and pick a room with a smaller balcony with hopes to have a bigger room.
Softwizard likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by JetSet05

Overall
Would I stay here again, yes! This was a fantastic hotel! Although I may be more selective on my room during OLCI, and pick a room with a smaller balcony with hopes to have a bigger room.
During OLCI was the schematic detailed enough that you could see the relative sizes of the rooms?

Were there so many kids and families that a couple who just want to get away as a couple might not have a tranquil experience? Did you use the pools/beach at all?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
During OLCI was the schematic detailed enough that you could see the relative sizes of the rooms?

Were there so many kids and families that a couple who just want to get away as a couple might not have a tranquil experience? Did you use the pools/beach at all?
The schematic detail was enough to just see the general size of the room and balcony together. You really couldn't tell how big the balcony was or where the bathroom and closet was based off the OLCI. From experience, I would say, if you have a Victorian room with a balcony that faces inward to the gardens, the two shorter side of the rectangle has larger balconies than the longer sides. But even the small balconies are huge. Generally if looking at a room, and you noticed it is very wide, it likely has a bigger balcony. Also, the rooms that do have balconies are the inward facing rooms and the ocean view rooms.

There really weren't an overwhelming amount of families. The times we saw the most families were in the evenings on the big lawn and at the main pool. At dinner the amounts of kids at the restaurants were not alarming at all, and I believe a couple could easily have a tranquil experience. Also, the beach is massive, so kids really aren't an issue at the beach.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Eujeanie

I didn't feel overwhelmed by kids, and I was there in June. There is also an adult pool, which I found to be very tranquil. I didn't even bother using the main pool.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 9:38 am

Thanks to both of you - good info on room selection, and I had no idea there was an adult pool.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Quick Report - Just spent Saturday at the hotel after deciding earlier in the week to get away for a quick local trip. I called on Wednesday morning and booked room for Saturday night using my AMEX Aspire card free weekend night. The booking process was quick and painless and secured a Victorian room.

On Friday, I did online check-in and selected my room. Arrived Saturday around 4:30pm, lots of traffic on the way down and across the bridge. $49 for valet and $39 for self park. Attendant said self-park might be full so we just pulled up to valet. Check-in was a breeze - no line and helpful agent. Said we had been upgraded to room with a partial ocean view. Basically a room on the 4th floor overlooking the beach cottages with a view of the bay and Point Loma. Room was spacious, but the bathroom was very small.

A few room observations: it was definitely worn and some I'll attribute to the fact it's over a hundred years old, but others just seem like deferred maintenance. The paint was a mess - layers and layers of paint, some very sloppily applied (windows/trim). Lots of areas where it was peeling or just scratched off. Two windows actually open, and were not flush so the latches didn't actually work. There was a bit of a musty odor in the room. Adjoining room doors on both sides and we could easily hear the conversations in each of the adjoining rooms. No soundproofing - we could hear everything outside our window even though we were on the 4th floor. Nothing closed flush - the doors were all somewhat askew, light emanating from the other side (closet/front door/bathroom).

It was pretty busy in the public areas, but still perfectly fine to wander about, enjoy the lawn, the view of the water. We ate dinner offsite but did have ice cream and coffee. Breakfast at Sheerwater was fine. I upgraded for the warm food but in retrospect, I would have been happy with the free continental breakfast - it was a good selection.

Asked for a late check-out but was only granted 30 min from 12:00 to 12:30.

Overall, it was a fun stay but you really pay dearly - food was pretty pricey and everything came with a price. Even the tour of the hotel was a $40/person charge, which we decided to skip.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: National EE, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Quick question, if I take advantage of a paid upgrade for a room with an ocean view now, will that jeopardize a potential complimentary upgrade (as a Diamond) at check in?
Thanks,
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:15 am

Quick question, if I take advantage of a paid upgrade for a room with an ocean view now, will that jeopardize a potential complimentary upgrade (as a Diamond) at check in?
Thanks,
Are you asking for an additional upgrade beyond your paid upgrade? I am not 100 percent sure, but my gut reason is yes, you would jeopardize it. Keep in my the paid upgrade is typically offered at a discount (or you wouldn't take the offer!).

Or are you asking if you select nor1, would you be eligible for a complimentary upgrade instead of the paid upgrade? Yes you do jeopardize a complimentary free upgrade in this scenario, they will take your money if you offer to pay for it!!
Old Aug 21, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Thanks,
FWIW, the last time I was there, during check-in they offered a complimentary upgrade to the next highest type of room, which was a room with a view. I asked if there was anything bigger, and they offered a junior suite for an additional $50/night, which we took.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 8:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I just booked 3 nights in December using 3 Amex free night awards. I figure this is my one shot at staying at this hotel, as this is the only year I'm going to have 3 certs stacked up (one from the Citi conversion, one from Ascend spend, and one from an Aspire upgrade).

The agent booked my award into the King Tower/Cabana room. She said this is the best room that can be booked with the certificate. She also noted the reservation was an anniversary stay, saying it might help with upgrades. The agent really wanted to know if the trip was for a special event, obviously trying to be helpful, although I'm skeptical that it will result in an upgrade based on reading this thread.

Any tips on room numbers or areas to select when we OLCI? I didn't see a NOR1 offer in the app...I'd probably take a $50 ocean view jr suite if it popped up, but not whatever that $400 (!!) suite was upthread. Just 2 of us...a nice balcony on which to drink wine is more important to us than a huge room.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

the tower building really sucks - think Ramada.
on an award stay, you want Victorian.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 6:07 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR LTGold, UA, AA, AS, DL, Global Entry & TSAPre✓
Tower vs. Victorian

Originally Posted by pinniped
Any tips on room numbers or areas to select when we OLCI? I didn't see a NOR1 offer in the app...I'd probably take a $50 ocean view jr suite if it popped up, but not whatever that $400 (!!) suite was upthread. Just 2 of us...a nice balcony on which to drink wine is more important to us than a huge room.
We stayed in the Tower for 5 nights. There for a conference, and I paid extra for partial ocean view. As a diamond, received a corner room with two ocean views -- balcony view was of the shoreline, side window was direct to water. Wasn't considered one of the "ocean front" rooms, but seemed like the next best. The Tower building is closer to the water, but farther from other facilities. We enjoy walking, so not a problem, and that made it closer to get to/from the beach for our morning / evening walks.
Yes, that tower is not exciting -- and those rooms were looking dated as well (layers of paint). But there seemed to be less risk of receiving a very dated room, with a tiny bathroom and doors / windows that do not align (as mentioned upthread). In Victorian, the room/balcony may overlook the interior courtyard. (to be fair, a Tower room may overlook the parking lot / opposite the water -- but hopefully not for elites) Sounds like the Victorian balconies may be larger. For me, I was more interested in the better chance for a better view, and avoiding a potentially bad room -- especially if the stay is over a busy weekend when they have less opportunity to re-accommodate if the first room is not good -- even though the Victorian building would have a better chance for a unique room. We took predictability for better sleeping conditions, then explored the historic building and grounds during the day.
I just found my folio from the stay, but it does not list room number. I think we were 8th floor.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.