Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
All of my incidentals counted towards the $250, but I have no idea whether this works when you aren't staying in the hotel. That's a good question though...does that work? (Just having dinner/drinks at a Hilton resort and getting the credit...)
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:06 pm

It looks like the free night certificates can pretty easily be used at the Hotel del Coronado, but not at the Village at the Del. Does that square with others' experience?
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:25 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), Hilton (Diamond), Hyatt (Globalist)
Yes Ive used a couple here. The Village doesnt have a standard room it seems and prices are huge. Having walked past Im unclear on why the premium for the entry level room at the Village.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I thought the Villages units were more like timeshares. It would make sense that there aren't standard awards there. If they are setup with lockoff rooms that they could sell as regular hotel rooms, I honestly would not want one. I would think the whole point of being over there would be to have a 2-bedroom unit (or larger...some of the units look quite boss).
Old Aug 8, 2019, 2:09 pm

Programs: Alaska, American, Marriott
My wife, daughter (10 y.o.) and I just got back from a 2-night stay, 1 on a free night, and 1 paid night that was partly offset by the $250 resort credit. Overall, we really enjoyed the location and the hotel. My wife is a Diamond, so we were upgraded to a partial view room in the Victorian building. The room did have a nice view of the beach, but the downside of that was that we were exposed to the construction, so there was a decent amount of hammering and beeping from 8 AM on both mornings we were there. Anyway, for people who are familiar with the hotel, but are wondering how a couple of things--breakfast and parking--work, here are my comments on both:

1. Apparently the continental breakfast is only available to Hilton members--regular people off the street don't have that option any more--so you may have to tell the wait staff that's what you want, otherwise you'll get charged for the full buffet. That happened to use the first morning. Diamond status got us a $30/night credit, which mostly covered the cost for 2 of us ($18/person) for the continental breakfast. The child didn't receive a discount either day. In the end, with tip, it ended up being a little over $10/person after the credit, which was fine for what it was. It would be nice if the credit fully covered 2 adults, but Sheerwater is a convenient place to eat with a nice view, so in the end we were OK with it. There was a short wait the 1st day, and no wait the 2nd, but that was on a Monday and Tuesday, and I can see space/waiting being a possible issue on a crowded weekend.

2. If you are willing to cross the street, you can avoid paying the $50/night parking fee. We parked overnight both nights on Orange Avenue, in front of the Glorietta Bay inn. Again, it might not be as easy on a busy weekend night, but it looked like there were plenty of spaces on both sides of Orange that you can park at just a couple of blocks away, so if you're fundamentally opposed to paying the parking fee, it's definitely do-able.

This was our 1st stay at the Coronado. I'm not sure we'd pay the full cash price for it, but it's a great place to use free nights and/or resort credits. We go back to SD every year or two, and will probably try to stay here again next time.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bucky katt
Diamond status got us a $30/night credit, which mostly covered the cost for 2 of us ($18/person) for the continental breakfast.
Ridiculous. I prefer the flexibility of F&B credits to a forced continental breakfast, but that credit should at minimum fully cover two continental breakfasts to satisfy the Hilton Honors terms and conditions.
Old Aug 9, 2019, 8:51 am

Is this a change this year? In December 2018, it was 2 continental breakfasts. No choice to use the credit elsewhere. (Agree with MSO - if they're going the credit route, the amount should be equal to 2x continental breakfast.)

It's often unclear to me whether non-alcoholic drinks are included in buffet prices, but in December at the Sheerwater, they were. Our only cost was gratuity.
Old Aug 31, 2019, 2:44 pm

Does anyone know if any rooms connect? I have two vouchers that are about to expire and thought my wife and I would take our 10 year old and a couple friends down for a Saturday night. I would put them in one room, but would like them to connect to ours to feel more secure.

Thanks
TD
Old Oct 27, 2019, 10:21 am

"Resort" view

As an FYI, this is the view from my resort view Victorian room...Diamond member using my AMEX reward certificate.

Old Oct 27, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Wow! That is poor ( I would imagine that is about the worst view in the resort).Not sure about the room quality but I would probably complain about this view ( unless it was specifed in the definitions of the resort view)

Regards

TBS
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:03 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
I believe I see the resort, so I'd say you've got the resort view.
acker likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by hhdl
I believe I see the resort, so I'd say you've got the resort view.
Is "Construction View" a category?

Agree this is quite poor...this seems like a room a Diamond should never see, barring some bizarre set of circumstances such as a convention solely for HH Diamonds.
acker and Michael19887 like this.
Old Oct 29, 2019, 11:00 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Wow that is bad.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by pinniped

Agree this is quite poor...this seems like a room a Diamond should never see, barring some bizarre set of circumstances such as a convention solely for HH Diamonds.
The hotel is undergoing a major renovation, so maybe options are limited?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by pinniped

I was at one of those once...it was cool! They had a mock front desk set up, and attendees would try to some up with new and creative DYKWIA lines. They also had a helipad-building contest and a giraffe petting zoo. Good times!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.