Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Hotel del Coronado, Curio Collection by Hilton {US-CA}

Hotel del Coronado

Beach Village at The Del

both will be Curio Collection by Hilton
good for elites to get free breakfast, not the case if they went with Waldorf Astoria branding

assuming Honors will treat the Beach Village at The Del like they do the Conrad Koh Samui Residences with no standard award redemptions ever
Old Jun 30, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: HH Diamond, MR LTGold, UA, AA, AS, DL, Global Entry & TSAPre✓
Thanks for sharing the news!
Will be staying there at the beginning of November (haven't yet booked) so they should have the Honors details in place by then. Hoping the Diamond status helps at least a bit when it comes to room assignment.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 7:00 pm
cjd

Good to hear. Have visited the hotel on a couple of occasions and eaten in the restaurants. Might get to stay in the future if Awards become available. Always looks very impressive and got to know it from that amazing film "Some Like It Hot."
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

bookable
Old Jul 11, 2017, 4:33 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Car Rental Exec. Elite
I stayed here for a conference a couple of years ago,* and I thought at the time that it would make a great Curio Collection or Autograph Collection hotel (even if it was on the large side).

Conference covered most meals...the breakfasts were delicious!

*In a very large room with only one bed but two full bathrooms.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Bookable for stays Aug 1 and beyond.

Max out at 95,000 points.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

overnight, Honors updated the room type Victorian King to be available under the standard award rate plan.

now, the room types under the standard award rate plan are Victorian King, Victorian 1 Queen, Towers 2 Queens (my recommended order of preference)

the Towers doesn't deliver the Del experience
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:38 pm

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Just booked a night here over Labor Day using a Citi Reserve certificate. Excited to try it out.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:22 pm

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Anyone have an upcoming stay here? Today is the first day as an official Hilton property.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Looking forward to reports on Gold/Diamond breakfast.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
According to the Hotel del Coronado on Twitter, gold & diamond members will get a continental breakfast with the option to upgrade to the full buffet at $20.00 per person.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
In other words.....shove it!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by hedoman
In other words.....shove it!
Why all the angst? The hotel is providing a complimentary continental breakfast to Diamonds, as required per HH terms and conditions. I would be interested to know if it is worth the extra $20 to upgrade to the full breakfast buffet. Has anyone had the full buffet at the Hotel Del recently and care to comment?

In some instances, I believe a paid upgrade to a full breakfast buffet is absolutely worth it. The WA Rome Cavilieri is one such example: 40 regularly, discounted to 20 for Diamonds. This is one of the best breakfasts I have had in my entire life. The question for this thread is: Is it worth paying $20 for the full buffet at the Hotel Del?
Old Aug 9, 2017, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Hotel Points Guy
I would be interested to know if it is worth the extra $20 to upgrade to the full breakfast buffet. Has anyone had the full buffet at the Hotel Del recently and care to comment?

In some instances, I believe a paid upgrade to a full breakfast buffet is absolutely worth it. The WA Rome Cavilieri is one such example: €40 regularly, discounted to €20 for Diamonds. This is one of the best breakfasts I have had in my entire life. The question for this thread is: Is it worth paying $20 for the full buffet at the Hotel Del?
So I got totally lucky here, but I booked 2 rooms at The Del for 95k HH pts per night (one room for a single night and the other room for 2 nights) the first day booking opened for Aug 2nd/3rd. A couple days later I got an e-mail saying that the the Hilton switchover was going to be pushed back from Aug 1st to Aug 15th, and they want to REFUND ALL 270k of my Hilton pts and comp me all 3 room nights. I thought I must have been reading/interpreting the e-mail wrong, but I called and they confirmed it. Ummmmmm, heck yeah I will take 3 free room nights that go for ~$750 per room night. I still don't understand why they didn't try to at least charge me something, but I'm certainly not complaining!! I'm a Hilton Diamond member, so I'm not sure if that had something to do with why they offered me this or not. When I arrived, we had been upgraded to 2 wonderful Oceanview rooms. Not sure why I did this after already getting the room for free, but I have no shame so I figured I might as well ask, so I even had the cajones to ask if I would get the free Hilton Diamond breakfast and they said yes they would put a code on my rooms for free breakfast.

To answer the question above, the buffet breakfast at Sheerwater is FANTASTIC. We got the full buffet and weren't charged any upcharge, but that's likely because we stayed there before the full brand switchover. The full buffet is $38 per person. The Omelette station is very good (Shrimp omelettes, etc). The other hot items are also quite tasty as well. There wasn't really a choice of full buffet or "continental buffet" AFAIK. So it's possible this is just something The Del is creating for Diamonds only. That said, the cold breakfast items that I assume would constitute the "Continental" were also quite substantial and very high quality. There was a large variety of fruits/yogurts/cereals/pastry items/etc (even a whole Gluten Free section if you are into that) that would be a fantastic Diamond breakfast IMHO. Tough choice if I would upgrade for $20 to the full buffet. I stayed at HWV earlier this year and upgraded to full buffet there (I think the upgrade to full buffet there was like $10), and I thought it was worth it. I would probably upgrade to the full buffet at The Del every other day if I were staying for multiple days just to give a variety.

Anyways, needless to say, I was EXTREMELY happy with my stay at The Del last week. The only negative is that I was barely in the room or on the hotel grounds as I arrived fairly late and spent a half day at the SD Zoo, and then 2 half days driving to & golfing up at Aviara 45 mins North of Coronado. Sort of a waste of such a nice hotel/location/room view to not be there the majority of the time.

I did make sure to watch "Some Like It Hot" before I stayed there. Recommend you do the same. And make sure to take a ride up the elevator in the lobby. It was even cooler than the Park Hyatt DC elevator that has benches to sit in on your ride up!! And only my first or second elevator ride with an actual elevator operator/driver in it.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Ti, LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Hotel Points Guy
The hotel is providing a complimentary continental breakfast to Diamonds, as required per HH terms and conditions.
Yeah pretty common across brands. Only Hyatt guarantees a full breakfast, and that's only if there's no lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.