Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Pooling" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:13 pm
Original Poster

New update in the master thread. Please follow new developments there.
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Hi all,

As promised, sharing the latest news around our newest benefit Points Pooling, which officially launches April 26. I'll share the link (once available) to learn more about how you can combine your Points with family and friends. Again, there’s no fee involved with transferring, and you can pool Points with up to ten other people to get closer to your next hotel stay. You can also redeem your Points for other items, including experiences on the Hilton Honors Auction site or later this year on Amazon.com when our Shop with Points program launches.

Let me know if you have any questions or need more info. Happy pooling!

Thank you!
Lauren

PS – T&Cs will also be updated to reflect the update of Points Pooling.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:31 pm

Currently on the Hilton page for transferring points. No indication of a fee, though I did not proceed through the process. The below are the terms noted below the form to transfer:

Members may transfer a maximum of 500,000, and receive a maximum of 2,000,000 points per calendar year. A maximum of six free transactions may be performed per calendar year. Transferred points are applicable towards all Hilton Honors awards. Points transferred using this option will post within 24 hours. Transferred points do not count towards Hilton Honors status upgrades. All standard Hilton Honors program rules and conditions apply.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:53 pm

This feature certainly makes it easier to "gift" stays to friends and families and avoid situations at check-ins when the booking was not done through the helpdesk. Want to treat your parents to a vacation? Transfer up to 500,000 points for their dream stay. Want to reward your children on their graduation trip? 500,000 points for that penthouse suite. And in the other spectrum, a death in the family now means the hard earned points can easily be dealt with (assuming access to account is available) by transferring the points out. This is a great and true enhancement. Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: BAEC, VS, Marriott, HH, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PayItForward
This feature certainly makes it easier to "gift" stays to friends and families and avoid situations at check-ins when the booking was not done through the helpdesk. Want to treat your parents to a vacation? Transfer up to 500,000 points for their dream stay. Want to reward your children on their graduation trip? 500,000 points for that penthouse suite. And in the other spectrum, a death in the family now means the hard earned points can easily be dealt with (assuming access to account is available) by transferring the points out. This is a great and true enhancement. Thanks!

Agree with this - a definite enhancement. The limits seem to be fairly generous as well. Slightly surprised they didn't go with a Starwood-esque model that requires the same household address for 30 days etc but certainly not complaining.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:32 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
T&C
https://points-static.s3.amazonaws.c...rms/terms.html

What does this mean in practice? :

"In order to participate in a purchase or transfer transaction, you must have a positive account balance and have been active within the Hilton Honors program within the past 30 days."

Active as in earned points last 30 days? This will severely limit the use.

Note also:
Each Hilton Honors Member is limited to six (6) Transfer and six (6) Points Pooling transactions per calendar year. Any points beyond these limits will not be posted to any Member's account.

Whats the big deal with up to 11 people if you can only receive 6 poolings?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 5:59 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by PayItForward
This feature certainly makes it easier to "gift" stays to friends and families and avoid situations at check-ins when the booking was not done through the helpdesk.
Although, the friends and family will no longer benefit from your Hilton status if you transfer the points to their accounts rather than getting the call center to book under their name on your account.

Originally Posted by skaya
"In order to participate in a purchase or transfer transaction, you must have a positive account balance and have been active within the Hilton Honors program within the past 30 days."

Active as in earned points last 30 days? This will severely limit the use.
http://hiltonhonors3.hilton.com/en/p...money/faq.html

Are there particular qualifications you must meet to be able to pool Points?
To use Points Pooling, you must be an active Member, be in the program for 30 days, and have a minimum Points balance of 1,000 Points.
I successfully transferred points from an account which had not earned any in the past 12 months, to my account (which is very active).

I don't know if it would have worked the other way, but the point (for me at least) is to move points from my family members who rarely stay in hotels to my account
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:40 am

So I did a reciprocal pooling request with my SO and it just linked us each to the transfer points page. For fun we transferred a modest sum of points to see if it worked. It did, and instantly. Oops, I guess that was one of our six chances for the year. But overall I am still wondering if this is really what they intended, or maybe just a big go-live error? Especially now if they've pulled the functionality back.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
So I did a reciprocal pooling request with my SO and it just linked us each to the transfer points page. For fun we transferred a modest sum of points to see if it worked. It did, and instantly. Oops, I guess that was one of our six chances for the year. But overall I am still wondering if this is really what they intended, or maybe just a big go-live error? Especially now if they've pulled the functionality back.
I just "pooled" 2 accounts. There was no mention of a transfer limit. Rather it said ALL points would go to the master account automatically. Sounds to me as if my wife earns tomorrow the points will go straight to me...
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by sdix
I just "pooled" 2 accounts. There was no mention of a transfer limit. Rather it said ALL points would go to the master account automatically. Sounds to me as if my wife earns tomorrow the points will go straight to me...
That definitely wasn't what I saw earlier! But that also sounds a lot more like what they originally described...
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I didn't 'pool' until we know a bit more about what that means. But I did transfer 280k from husbands account to mine. I got the confirmation email so we'll see when they actually post.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Finkface
I didn't 'pool' until we know a bit more about what that means. But I did transfer 280k from husbands account to mine. I got the confirmation email so we'll see when they actually post.
Same here (except a lot fewer points). Don't really have a need to pool anything, I think, if I can just transfer my wife's points to my account for joint usage.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Don't really have a need to pool anything, I think, if I can just transfer my wife's points to my account for joint usage.
Agreed. I think that this functionality - which seemed to exist for at least some time today - would satisfy about 95% of customers.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Same here (except a lot fewer points). Don't really have a need to pool anything, I think, if I can just transfer my wife's points to my account for joint usage.
Transferring=pooling in this scenario. I don't need it yet but may in the future. Pooling doesn't have to be 100% transfer either. Semantics, I know.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 3:37 pm

did a transaction this morning and points were posted or transfer within 10 minutes or so

Quite satisfied with this feature. Was able to transfer 20k from father in law account to mines since he has no use for it.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 4:14 pm

I like this addition to the program. Does anyone know if transferring resets the one year expiration of points?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.