Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Points Pooling" Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Points Pooling" Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2022, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by jackeyhk
Hi William,

I tried multiple times to transfer points from my wife's account to my account, but nothing happened.

Grateful to have your assistance on this.

Thank you.
He's not around for a while. Best to use Twitter DM for most efficient response.
Old May 12, 2022, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
He's not around for a while. Best to use Twitter DM for most efficient response.
For anyone who’s not aware, William posts in Hilton Honors Ambassador is Out of Office whenever he’s on extended leave.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by beltway
For anyone who’s not aware, William posts in Hilton Honors Ambassador is Out of Office whenever he’s on extended leave.
Thanks for the link, I've added it to my subscriptions. Looks like he'll be gone until May 17 this time.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: Hilton
Originally Posted by Hilton Honors Ambassador
Just received a message this morning that these issues were fixed by Points.com.

Best regards,

William
Hi William,

I also run into the same problem and don't know what to do. Can you possibly help me with it?

Best
Old Oct 24, 2023, 4:40 pm

Hilton Points Transfers/Pooling Issue

Has anyone been able to able to do any Hilton points transfers in the last week or so? I'm having trouble trying to transfer/pool points with another member of my household.

The error message when I fill out and submit and the points transfer web form is:

We're sorry. Something went wrong.
We're sorry, something went wrong with your transaction.

Please click here to try again.
Does anyone know what could be the culprit? Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2023, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by donasaur
I'm having trouble trying to transfer/pool points with another member of my household.
[…]
Does anyone know what could be the culprit?
There’s a problem with points.com, the Hilton site, or both. I tried a test just now, making certain that all the transfer info was correct, and got the same error.

TLDR: It’s them, not you.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
What exactly is points pooling?

I've gotten different answers from Hilton Diamond Desk agents as to what exactly points pooling means. One agent told me that she could book a points reservation (all points, no cash, no FNC) and pull points from both accounts. But other agents tell me they can't do that, that the points need to be transferred into one account and then the reservation booked using that account. When I asked what is the difference between pooled accounts and not, these agents say things that don't make sense ("you can transfer at the same time"). If points must be transferred, and anyone can transfer points to anyone else, then what difference does pooling make?
Old Dec 28, 2023, 12:25 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by anabolism
What exactly is points pooling?
Thank you for asking. It was just in the past week that I searched for a thread on points pooling (and subscribed to this one) because I didn't understand the Hilton description. I'm glad it wasn't just me and I hope someone will provide a cogent response.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 4:55 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
If points must be transferred, and anyone can transfer points to anyone else, then what difference does pooling make?
English is not my native language, but I always thought that 'pooling' meant sharing or combining resources. It's just Hilton giving us an idea of how the points can be used. For the purpose of using points from multiple accounts to make a reservation, it is necessary to pool them in one account. It is not possible to make a points reservation by using points from multiple accounts without first combing the points in a single account. So, pooling is just one of the ways of and reasons for using points. Of course, one can transfer points for any reason not just to stay together at a hotel. The way pooling and transferring works also differs. With the former, you ask others (up to 10 members) to transfer points to you; while with the latter you transfer your points to another member. I don't know why but I always use the 'pooling' option rather than the 'transfer' one even though both achieve the same.
Old Dec 29, 2023, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Andriyko (Post # 114)
The way pooling and transferring works also differs. With the former, you ask others (up to 10 members) to transfer points to you; while with the latter you transfer your points to another member.
Thank you for this succinct explanation of the distinction between Points Pooling and old-fashioned Transferring.

Of course, this should not be confused with the ancient legacy Mutual Fund between spouses (long closed for new sign up).
Old Dec 30, 2023, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
English is not my native language, but I always thought that 'pooling' meant sharing or combining resources. It's just Hilton giving us an idea of how the points can be used. For the purpose of using points from multiple accounts to make a reservation, it is necessary to pool them in one account. It is not possible to make a points reservation by using points from multiple accounts without first combing the points in a single account. So, pooling is just one of the ways of and reasons for using points. Of course, one can transfer points for any reason not just to stay together at a hotel. The way pooling and transferring works also differs. With the former, you ask others (up to 10 members) to transfer points to you; while with the latter you transfer your points to another member. I don't know why but I always use the 'pooling' option rather than the 'transfer' one even though both achieve the same.
I appreciate that English is not your native language and that you are trying to explain the difference. My spouse and I set up point pooling, which required invitations and acceptances. Fine, so now we have pooled accounts. However, in order to use the points from one account, they must be transferred into the other account. As far as I can tell, it is exactly the same process to transfer points between pooled accounts as between non-pooled accounts. The pooling seems to make no difference at all. Pooled or non-pooled, each transfer from one account to another must be done individually and manually, one transfer at a time. Pooled or non-pooled, there is a maximum number of points that can be transferred in a year. So, I see no difference, and points pooling seems like an idea that was perhaps intended to do what the one agent told me (allow a points booking to be made, pulling points from multiple accounts) but was never implemented, leaving it useless.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 5:11 pm

I appreciate that English is not your native language and that you are trying to explain the difference. My spouse and I set up point pooling, which required invitations and acceptances. Fine, so now we have pooled accounts. However, in order to use the points from one account, they must be transferred into the other account. As far as I can tell, it is exactly the same process to transfer points between pooled accounts as between non-pooled accounts. The pooling seems to make no difference at all. Pooled or non-pooled, each transfer from one account to another must be done individually and manually, one transfer at a time. Pooled or non-pooled, there is a maximum number of points that can be transferred in a year. So, I see no difference, and points pooling seems like an idea that was perhaps intended to do what the one agent told me (allow a points booking to be made, pulling points from multiple accounts) but was never implemented, leaving it useless.
But it is not the accounts that are pooled, it is the points. You are right - ‘pooling’ and ‘transferring’ mean the same thing. You can’t pool accounts though. I believe there are some legacy mutual accounts, where points are combined, but those are from decades ago. Pooling basically means asking people to transfer their points to you. It is a one time transaction. Pooling points won’t make your accounts joint in any way.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Andriyko
But it is not the accounts that are pooled, it is the points. You are right - ‘pooling’ and ‘transferring’ mean the same thing. You can’t pool accounts though. I believe there are some legacy mutual accounts, where points are combined, but those are from decades ago. Pooling basically means asking people to transfer their points to you. It is a one time transaction. Pooling points won’t make your accounts joint in any way.
Pooling doesn't seem to be a per-transfer thing, given that it requires sending invitation and the invited people must accept, neither of which has anything to do with transferring points. Transferring points is its own step, and can be done regardless if the pooling step happened or not.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 6:20 pm

Pooling doesn't seem to be a per-transfer thing, given that it requires sending invitation and the invited people must accept, neither of which has anything to do with transferring points. Transferring points is its own step, and can be done regardless if the pooling step happened or not.
Pooling is exactly that - a transfer of points. I can see now where the confusion is. Pooling is a one-time request to others to transfer their points to you. It is not a creation of a permanent joint account. ‘Accepting’ only means that you agree to transfer points to the member who sent the request and then you decide how many points to transfer.

I, honestly, myself now don’t understand why Hilton offers ‘pooling’ and ‘transferring’ if both are basically the same thing.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Andriyko (Post # 119)
I, honestly, myself now don’t understand why Hilton offers ‘pooling’ and ‘transferring’ if both are basically the same thing.
The latter (transferring) is outbound. The former (pooling) is a request for inbound.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.