FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Points Pooling" Thread
View Single Post
Old Dec 29, 2023, 4:55 am
Andriyko

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by anabolism
If points must be transferred, and anyone can transfer points to anyone else, then what difference does pooling make?
English is not my native language, but I always thought that 'pooling' meant sharing or combining resources. It's just Hilton giving us an idea of how the points can be used. For the purpose of using points from multiple accounts to make a reservation, it is necessary to pool them in one account. It is not possible to make a points reservation by using points from multiple accounts without first combing the points in a single account. So, pooling is just one of the ways of and reasons for using points. Of course, one can transfer points for any reason not just to stay together at a hotel. The way pooling and transferring works also differs. With the former, you ask others (up to 10 members) to transfer points to you; while with the latter you transfer your points to another member. I don't know why but I always use the 'pooling' option rather than the 'transfer' one even though both achieve the same.