Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad Osaka {JPN}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Even though I started this thread, I finally stayed here for the first time last night. Some notes:

* No Diamond upgrade from the Twin Deluxe we booked. All other rooms did appear to be fully booked.

* Due to the high occupancy period, breakfast was also served in the lounge, though the offerings seemed significantly less than those available in the restaurant. Still, lounge breakfast was served until 11, so would have been possible to make an early lunch of it.

* Received an extra bed for our room at no additional charge.

While I found the Conrad Osaka more stylish than its Tokyo cousin, especially with regards to the bathing facilities, overall I think I still prefer the Conrad Tokyo.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Even though I started this thread, I finally stayed here for the first time last night. Some notes:

* No Diamond upgrade from the Twin Deluxe we booked. All other rooms did appear to be fully booked.

* Due to the high occupancy period, breakfast was also served in the lounge, though the offerings seemed significantly less than those available in the restaurant. Still, lounge breakfast was served until 11, so would have been possible to make an early lunch of it.

* Received an extra bed for our room at no additional charge.

While I found the Conrad Osaka more stylish than its Tokyo cousin, especially with regards to the bathing facilities, overall I think I still prefer the Conrad Tokyo.
agreed.

Currently staying here too. No upgrades received as they were fully booked.

Received a bottle of sparkling wine in the room to make up for it.

When asked for shanghai tang amenities, was told they do not carry that brand but only aromatherapy and Tara smith.

Not it sure if it’s only for this hotel or for all conrad properties.

Stayed as diamond.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Not impressed with Conrad Osaka. Hard product was good and enjoyed the great views from the room/lounge/etc. and the amazing lobby, but the hotel also felt very crowded during our stay and service needs a lot of work - the concierge in particular was disappointing.

Booked 3 standard rooms on points as HH Diamond. No upgrades offered despite many higher category rooms available during the entirety of our stay. Even after prodding, the best they could do was upgrade one room and only to a corner. (The corner seems to be the same room missamo80 posted pictures of previously, although ours was not a suite.)

The two remaining standard rooms weren't ready until close to 5pm, which made the lack of upgrades particularly irritating. I get the feeling they have housekeeping/staffing issues, as the exec lounge was packed with people who also seemed to be waiting for their rooms to be ready - and housekeeping service was often quite delayed during our stay. On the positive side, lounge service was excellent and very attentive despite the lounge being so crowded.

I personally didn't mind the room layout, but the open plan bathroom style definitely won't be to everyone's liking (the other two parties I was traveling with hated it). One aspect of the layout I really liked is that the bathroom area separates the bed/living area from the door, so it helps reduce hallway noise.

Breakfast buffet is excellent, probably on par with Conrad Tokyo, but very crowded and we had to wait on some days. They repeatedly tried to get us to take breakfast in the lounge. Just doesn't seem like they have the capacity and the hotel wasn't even at full occupancy. The crowdedness was also reflected in frequent lengthy waits for the lobby elevators.

Also similar to Conrad Tokyo, the afternoon tea service in the lobby bar/lounge area will often book up the entire bar/lounge all afternoon, which is annoying for those who just want to get a drink. One afternoon when there were tables open, they still wouldn't seat us in the lounge as the tables were "reserved". The hostess directed us to the bar, but initially there was no dedicated bartender and minimal service. After we ordered a second round of pricey scotch, a dedicated bartender suddenly appeared out of nowhere and we got actual bar service. After our third round, suddenly one of the empty lounge tables magically became 'unreserved' and available to us. So I guess the lesson is that you have to run up a big bar tab first, otherwise expect to be treated like an unwanted member of the unwashed masses (even if you're a hotel guest).

I also found the concierge pretty unhelpful; they seem unmotivated to fulfil anything more than the most simple requests. On one unfortunate occasion, we asked for a restaurant recommendation and they sent us to a restaurant on the day of the week it is always closed. As missamo80 mentioned, the attention from concierge / service staff is often overbearing. In the lobby, in the exec lounge, even at breakfast we were constantly engaged, and not in the good way as is often done at other lux properties. Coupled with the concierge failures, it made the interactions seem insincere.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by gengar
Booked 3 standard rooms on points as HH Diamond. No upgrades offered despite many higher category rooms available during the entirety of our stay. Even after prodding, the best they could do was upgrade one room and only to a corner. (The corner seems to be the same room missamo80 posted pictures of previously, although ours was not a suite.)
That's disappointing, I wonder if they have changed their practices about upgrading Diamonds.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by jphripjah
That's disappointing, I wonder if they have changed their practices about upgrading Diamonds.
To be completely frank, I don't expect upgrades from a loyalty program that gives away top-tier status - but the unwillingness to upgrade just added to a general sense throughout our stay that the property doesn't care / is incompetently managed.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:31 am

Programs: SQ KF, A3 Gold, CI Dynasty, UA MileagePlus, ANA AMC, HH Gold, M&C Gold, SPG Gold
Stayed here during the first week of January as diamond, booked lowest room category and no upgrades either. Lounge was always packed and had to wait for them to call only when a table was free.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 9:59 am

Why wouldn't they upgrade from deluxe to exec for Diamond?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 2:25 am
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jphripjah
i was told it is of their policy to upgrade diamonds to the executive rooms. and they did to me when i stayed there in november.
rather suit my needs and i neednt a suite. but it suites have bigger rooms but worse views, i prefer this.
Deluxe rooms are those with "narrow" windows. the room @missamo80 and I got surely had very wide windows.
missamo80 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Staying here now. Wow. One of the more stunning set ups I've seen. Only a 2 night stay, wish it were more.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
I stayed last year for 2 nights, as others mentioned, as diamond member, NO upgrade at all! While, room available for sale online, they said they were sold out! The front desk said something they reserved room for sale online, but nothing available for them to sell or upgrade.
Thus, we went back to Hilton Osaka....
Cheaper, better Diamond recognition, better location as well.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Fly2Where
Thus, we went back to Hilton Osaka....
Cheaper, better Diamond recognition, better location as well.
Not a Conrad though is it
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:21 am

Not even a lounge access for Diamond members?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Not even a lounge access for Diamond members?
it does gives lounge access. And to be fair, food is quite good.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by jeffers
Not a Conrad though is it
Considering the really poor service and overcrowding during my stay, the only thing that made this a Conrad was the hard product. I did think the hard product was great (but even then you've got to be OK with open plan bathrooms...), but that alone isn't enough for me for the Conrad standard in Asia.

Ironically, during the dates of my stay, the base room rates at the Conrad were lower than at the Hilton Osaka! Maybe there's a good reason why...

I did wind up using points for the bookings, but as our stay at the Conrad progressed, I definitely wondered if we should have just booked at the Hilton especially as the location was better for us anyway.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Considering the really poor service and overcrowding during my stay, the only thing that made this a Conrad was the hard product. I did think the hard product was great (but even then you've got to be OK with open plan bathrooms...), but that alone isn't enough for me for the Conrad standard in Asia.
Different strokes and all that, I guess.

It's not crowded at all here at the moment, though. The hard product is exceptional imo, and we were given an exec room with a fantastic floor to ceiling views of the city.

Checking out today and going to the Conrad Tokyo, time to compare

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.