Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Bali Resort {IDN}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
I never went, Sorry!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:22 am

What sort of upgrades and perks can be expected as diamond at this property?
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Lots of kinks need worked out

As a Diamond, I got a room in the Cliff Tower, with large patio. I was however moved from the HGI before my actual reservation was to begin, so can't say for sure if that's a standard upgrade or not.

The night I arrived they were closing the Exec Lounge in the Cliff Tower, and moving above the poolside restaurant. It is supposed to be back in the building by now.

The hotel has some incredible views and grounds. I'm not sure when it was last renovated, but a lot of the resort looks like it's been quite some time.

We were on the 7th floor of the Cliff Tower. Nice views of the resort and ocean. You can watch people surfing most mornings and afternoons.

The room was a good size, I'd guess about 50 square meters. It had a large bed, that was of decent quality, but not up to the quality of a standard Hilton bed. Medium sized bathroom with smallish shower and tub. The shower had sandstone or similar tiles in it, so no fear of slipping. The shower door would not close fully, always open 1-2 inches, so watch where you spray so the outside floor doesn't get too wet.

Single sink, larger Toto toilet with built in sprayer. The flush button on top was very temperamental, and would often stick and keep the toilet running. Sign saying not to drink the water, but no water there. There are two bottles above the minifridge, and you can ask for more.

There was a large gash in the floor near the entry, where it looks like the door was rubbing for a long time before they fixed it. The floors are a fairly nice wood, but their age is starting to show. Damage in a couple of different areas.

There is a rattan lounger next to the bed, that is basically a daybed. Can be used for a kids bed. Full sized desk and chair. The AC worked fine, as long as the patio doors were closed.

Two sliding doors leading to the large patio. Including an outdoor large lounger. Patio was about 25-30sm. Advised not to leave food on the patio, as monkeys could theoretically jump from the cliff to the buildings, and go around. We only saw monkeys outside the Brasserie restaurant. Insects will come in if you leave the door open.

Food in Exec Lounge was ok, although the single hot item and small dishes made it difficult, but not impossible to make a dinner out of it.

From what I saw there were three different setups. Before 3pm, assorted fruits, usually one hot item, small chocolates, and a few other small dishes, like veggie wraps, mini quiche tarts, sushi, etc.

At around 3pm, the afternoon tea setup was put out. Same fruit, plus a couple different finger sandwiches, and a small sweets/dessert.

At 5pm, the first layout was usually brought back. Chicken wings, spring rolls, and baked mussels were some of the single hot items, along with fruits and 4 small dishes. They had some wines, tropical drinks and mocktails available from 5-7. Non-alcoholic stuff was available all day.

The staff was quite pleasant, and helpful here. Internet at the temporary lounge would often not be working. Every day, they had to reset the router at least once, if I was there for an hour or two. Kids are welcome in the lounge.

Problems

I'm always anxious to try a new Hilton full service property in Asia. I try not to go during the first month so they have time to work the kinks out. It didn't live up to normal Hilton Asia experience.

One reason I booked the property was their advertised Jungle Kids Club. Many of the Indonesian hotels we stay at have a kids club. Kids need to be 4 to go on their own. My wife went the first morning, and was told that our daughter couldn't go, as only bookings of Suites or larger were allowed in. Then it was a half day or full day fee. Then it was, "We'll let her come in today as a favor".

I could find no indication on the website about there being any fees involved for the kids club. We had asked about it when checking in, and were told the location, but nothing about fees. Really bad form for families on vacation.

Apparently the former Nikko did not allow kids into the Exec Lounge, and the kids club access was included. In the end, after a talk with a manager, we got the ok for our daughter to use it, without charge. They do serve lunch/dinner there, which are charged at 150k IDR net each (about $12 USD). Chicken patty, vegetables, with drink and two scoops of ice cream was one of the standard meals.

Staff in the kids club, Erni and Rahman in particular, were very attentive to the kids.

Lighting on the walkways at night is not good in areas. They have arched bridges going over some of the waterways. One night while in the temporary lounge it started raining very hard. I ended up ordering a dinner from the restaurant downstairs, and waiting over an hour after the rain stopped to go back to my room.

While going over the last bridge, the last step off the bridge is a horrible design, and not well lit. In all other areas, the final step down is a continuous stone step. In this one location only, it's 2/3 stone and 1/3 grass. The grass was very soggy, and as I couldn't see it, I stepped on the grass part and fell down very hard. Half on the stone sidewalk, half in the muddy grass.

My child was very distressed, and it took me a couple of minutes to see if I was seriously injured. An employee did come over to help. I did have my knees and elbows skinned up, and was very sore for a day. The employee did assist me to my room, and inquired if I needed medical attention.

I was pretty surprised that a manager didn't follow up in any way. When checking out, I mentioned the problems with lighting at night, and the dangerous stairs.

In conclusion, the property does have some great potential. We did get some cigarette smoke in our room through the AC vents a couple of times. The guests above us seemed to be having a smokefest on their patio, with their doors open, which bled into the communal AC system.

Dealing with the managers on the room bill because of the early move from the HGI was very frustrating. I got numerous, "It's taken care of, no need to worry" only to have our room key, and internet stop working because it wasn't taken care of. They even woke us up by calling one night at 9:45, after a long day out because they hadn't fixed the problem.

I'd give the property a solid 3 stars for this visit. I'm hoping by my next visit, it will at least be a 4 star. I'll review some of the dining in another post.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:02 am

You mention that it looks a while since last refurbished, but does that mean you thought the rooms and general property & pool areas are looking ropey? The photos make the property look pretty amazing.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kryten22uk
You mention that it looks a while since last refurbished, but does that mean you thought the rooms and general property & pool areas are looking ropey? The photos make the property look pretty amazing.
If I had to guess, I'd say at least 5 years, and maybe 10 years since a major refurbishment has happened.

It's certainly not in bad shape, but you can see that it's not in top shape.

I'm putting some of my pictures up on my Flyertalk album, at the link below. I've got some pics of worn stuff. I'll try to add more as time allows.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...uary-2017.html

From a value perspective, I'd feel comfortable recommending this property to a Diamond, if it's bookable for $100-150 a night. Other than the Christmas/New Years high season, I wouldn't pay much more than that, at the present.

Bali has got a lot of nice properties for $150 a night or less.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, , Hilton Diamond (from being in a bed), SPG Plat, MR Plat
After a few days travelling around Bali on holiday with mates and having ‘some fun’ ,I decided to stay a couple extra days and try some Hilton properties for a bit of relaxing. Combined with some great rates in hilton sale and the amazing promos on at the moment these stays both earn a good few points. I tried the ‘new’ Hilton Bali resort ans the Conrad over the space of two nights. I realise a night at these hotels is not much but feel I got a good feel of them and give a decent report.

So the Hilton Bali is just a rebrand of the old Hotel Nikko I believe. Let’s be honest Nusa Dua is not the nicest area in Bali and the beaches are not great but nice resort areas. The physical grounds of the property at the Hilton are lovely and built into the cliffside while also having green spaces and right on the beach.

I got upgraded as a diamond from Garden view room to Ocean view. The rooms unfortunately are showing there age and have no wow factor about them at all. It seems they have done no remodelling. I will say that although looking tired the bathroom had a great shower. Bed was also not the best. Not many plugs either. Room had decent view though.

The executive lounge was currently under renovation when I was there but was never told this when booking. A temporary arrangement had been setup in the upstairs of the poolside restaurant. This was a decent setup that was never busy. It opened at 11 every day. Soft drink available all day with the snack display in the middle not changing all day even through cocktail hour. The only difference being that cocktail hour had alcohol of course. There was also no private executive lounge pool which is promised on the website. The pool in the resort although nice is very family orientated and not the most relaxing. Massive resort and the pool area is not the biggest in relation to resort size.

As the exec lounge was closed I was told I could take my breakfast in an executive lounge setup in the Japanese restaurant on same level as lobby. This turned out to be fortunate. A very good spread and I was the only person in the restaurant for most of the time. There was an a la carte menu with both Asian and western options. Service also very good here. Was never offered breakfast in main restaurant but not sure I would have wanted too after seeing how busy it was.

The biggest disappointment was the internet situation. I still had to do a little work and this was almost impossible, even using ‘premium internet’. Called many times to get looked at but nothing ever happened. Other little small things also, like no body at lobby to welcome and help with bag. Not that this bothered me one bit but sets the impression. Also checkout taking ages with the simplest bill ever.

Unfortunately I would not return here unless they seriously remodelled. In fact not even sure I would anyway as not a huge fan of Nusa Dua area. Oh well should be around 13,000/14,000 points earned on $100 stay. Can’t beat that!

Some photos to follow:
Attached Images      
Old Jan 29, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESFLYER95
The executive lounge was currently under renovation when I was there but was never told this when booking. A temporary arrangement had been setup in the upstairs of the poolside restaurant. This was a decent setup that was never busy. It opened at 11 every day. Soft drink available all day with the snack display in the middle not changing all day even through cocktail hour. The only difference being that cocktail hour had alcohol of course. There was also no private executive lounge pool which is promised on the website.
When I checked in on the 10th, the last night the normal exec lounge was open, they said they'd be closed 10 days for remodeling.

There certainly is a private pool, but it's in the closed exec lounge.

Every day I was in the lounge, they certainly did change most of the food items at 3pm and 5pm. They might be 5 minutes early, or late, but were pretty punctual. They didn't always put out the food placards, though.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 7:13 pm

Finally, managed to get out of Jakarta and get to Bali. Have booked this weekend, 10FEB thru 12 FEB. So far, I'm impressed.

1. Emailed hotel two days ago. Received prompt replies that addressed all my questions. I need a 6 pm checkout, asked them their policy. As a diamond, checkout could be extended until 2 pm free of charge, but if need 6 pm 50% of my booked daily rate would apply and he could confirm immediately. (This option, for me, is cheaper than booking a separate day use rate).

2. 24 hours until arrival. Noticed upgraded (according to app) from deluxe ocean view to king executive terrace ocean view.

As I've mentioned before, I've stayed quite often at this property when it was a Nikko (even as a gold/diamond) preferred this property over Conrad. This will be my first stay since the handover. Looking forward to it. I'll write more as the weekend progresses.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:09 am

Just checked in. No surprises other than the louder than a disco "travel agent" party going on in the lobby. Can't hear anything from Cliff Tower room, except the waves lapping at the shore

Executive lounge is still closed. The setup for executive benefits is still as mentioned by others. Will try and post some pics tomorrow, and report back anything if odd.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 1:51 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, HHonors
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Just checked in. No surprises other than the louder than a disco "travel agent" party going on in the lobby. Can't hear anything from Cliff Tower room, except the waves lapping at the shore

Executive lounge is still closed. The setup for executive benefits is still as mentioned by others. Will try and post some pics tomorrow, and report back anything if odd.
Any ideas when it will open? Considering booking here in a few months.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 4:54 pm

Asked at checkout last night, was told up to four weeks. Having lived in Indonesia for 10 years, I'm guessing it will take a bit longer.

I would have responded to your question sooner, but the wifi is VERY spotty at the resort.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Asked at checkout last night, was told up to four weeks. Having lived in Indonesia for 10 years, I'm guessing it will take a bit longer.

I would have responded to your question sooner, but the wifi is VERY spotty at the resort.
They told us 10 days on January 10th, the last day the normal lounge was open.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/UAL Exec Prem
Checked into the resort today. Verbal acknowledgment of status, not sure if an upgrade was applied as we booked a one bedroom villa, and were given a one bedroom villa - however not sure what the upgrade from this category would be anyway. Staff very friendly and thorough in relating benefits of hotel. Good news, executive lounge is now open, will check it out for cocktails tonight and report back.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 1:10 am

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
Originally Posted by travelexpert
Hilton Worldwide today announced the signing of a management agreement to re-brand the Grand Nikko Bali as Hilton Bali.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hilton...030000984.html
It is just an average hotel because of its age. The staff are excellent but I had to leave early because internet reception and cell phone reception was poor. My income depends on being connected so I had little choice but to leave.

My little boy cut his hands on the concrete animals and needed medical attention. The hotel billed me for the medical attention. Strange as I was thinking that if this incident would have occurred in the USA, legal proceedings would have followed against the hotel for having unsafe equipment for children.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davistev
It is just an average hotel because of its age. The staff are excellent but I had to leave early because internet reception and cell phone reception was poor. My income depends on being connected so I had little choice but to leave.

My little boy cut his hands on the concrete animals and needed medical attention. The hotel billed me for the medical attention. Strange as I was thinking that if this incident would have occurred in the USA, legal proceedings would have followed against the hotel for having unsafe equipment for children.
There are a number of dangerous areas on the property that wouldn't pass muster in most first world countries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.