Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Problems and Issues with Hilton Family Internet Web Sites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[ARCHIVE to 2015] Problems and Issues with Hilton Family Internet Web Sites

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2013, 10:42 pm

Programs: US/AA-Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, AVIS-Presidents Club, National-Executive Elite
Originally Posted by orr333
How does a company as large as Hilton have such major issues as this? If any of our major systems went down like this, I would be out of a job.
So you've never had an error, ever, on any of your systems?
Old May 16, 2013, 5:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, Marriott Gold
Hilton site is the worst!!
Old May 18, 2013, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
They are indeed some tech issues with their site at the moment. One of their reps also confirmed it with me on the phone.
For instance, for quiet some time I haven't been able to see any point activity for the last year excluding hotel stays even though the point balance and elite status reflected are accurate.
Old May 18, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
They are indeed some tech issues with their site at the moment.
At the moment, and for the past fifteen years.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:09 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
It won't take my PIN/password. It doesn't say it's wrong, it just blanks it out over and over...I put it in, blank. Put it in again, blank.
Old May 19, 2013, 1:28 am

Yeah I have always had trouble with them as well
Old May 19, 2013, 10:29 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by orr333
I just tried logging in to see my points from my last stay and make sure they posted correctly when I found all Hilton sites to be down. The error?

Description: Unable to locate the server named "www.hilton.com" --- the server does not have a DNS entry. Perhaps there is a misspelling in the server name, or the server no longer exists. Double-check the name and try again.

How does a company as large as Hilton have such major issues as this? If any of our major systems went down like this, I would be out of a job.
This is not a Hilton.com error. The DNS server you have specified (or that was specified by your Internet provider if you have a dynamic IP and didn't specify a DNS server on your computer or router) doesn't have an entry for Hilton.com. Or there is a connectivity issue.

When you type in a web address your computer asked the DNS server for the IP address of the site, then uses the IP address to route your request. no where on the Internet are names used - only IP addresses. Names are for humans. hilton.com is easier to remember than an address like 165.254.124.20.
Old May 19, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: Southwest, United, Hilton
HH System Down on Saturday Nights

Hi,

New member of the forum here. Last night I encountered an issue with the HH program that I can't believe I am the first person to have gone through, and I am surprised that HH doesn't have a work-around. Yesterday I have a rewards stay booked at a hotel (my first redemption as I have just recently joined program) - there was a small chance I wasn't going to need the room, so I called the 800 number, and the HH employee cancelled my reservation & let me know I could rebook at anytime, 24/7, as long as there was availability. About 11 pm, 4 hours from home, and my other plans falling through, I called HH to book a reservation at the exact hotel my cancelled reservation. I was told on the phone that no reservation could be made because every Saturday night their booking system goes down for updates for about 4-5 hours. Many times I was told that there was nothing they could do for me, until the HH, who was great, finally agreed to refund the cost of my hotel, because the points could not be processed. Obviously a few issues here:
  • Being told that HH could reserve 24/7
  • No work around for people who want to book using HH points during weekly software updates

Anyway, for anyone looking to do a last minute reservation for Saturday Night (after 10 pm central I was told), beware...
Old May 19, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Overall the website is often down. Even when it is running it often will give me fits trying to book my corporate rate. Or gives some other funky error in the reservation process.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:13 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Saturday nights have long been known for the website being down. Quite frustrating.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...y#post20737523

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...y#post19957262

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...y#post17399591

Last edited by cblaisd; May 19, 2013 at 8:40 pm
Old May 19, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
No disrespect intended, but to come on a place like FlyerTalk, that has tens of millions of posts and hundreds of thousands of members, many of whom are professional travelers, and to think no one else has thought of an issue, or has ever had this problem occur, or this question, is ...well...naïve.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:31 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
The OP is new to FT, new to the HH program

He discovered something he thought we should know and made it his first post - I say thanks and welcome!
Old May 20, 2013, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Does this affect posting? My Elite counter doesn't reflect my last two stays, one of which still says "pending" although the points seem to have been credited>
Old Jul 3, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, AS, LH, BA, VS, HHonors, Hyatt, Club Carlson, IHG, Marriott
My point balance on my online account currently says 0. Almost freaked out... Turns out it's just another glitch.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes, and it is being discussed already. Major maintenance a couple of weekends ago, everything is FUBAR since. The points will put on occasional appearance, but they are backstage much of the time.

Originally Posted by MVF Trekker
My point balance on my online account currently says 0. Almost freaked out... Turns out it's just another glitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.