Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton Bournemouth {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2020, 8:41 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Tiny update as nearly everything the same as last year. No suite this time, just upgraded to an Exec room. I did use the pool this time and really liked it, worth bearing in mind that you need £1 deposit for the lockers though. Very good spicy fried chicken wings in the lounge, but still no dips! The sausages at breakfast were up to par, so maybe last time was just a one off. Still only a single water bottle in the room and a lack of mixers in the lounge. Would recommend a stay, great hard product, soft product again slightly let down by the small details.
MoodyB likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Blue, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Anyone been here since? Looking for a few nights away somewhere near the sea. Will be a points stay for me and the wife. According to the hotel site, no lounge open and reduced service for; Fitness Center, Breakfast, On-site Restaurant(s), Pool, Spa. Interested in what is being delivered esp. breakfast, and any drinks vouchers in lieu of the lounge.

Obviously I will call the hotel to check, but interested in FlyerTalkers' views first.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 7:40 am

Yeah, so, the lounge is closed. They gave me 2 drinks per night in lieu, which can be used in the bar downstairs or the restaurant.

I was upgraded to a junior suite on a busy weekend. Room was sealed and clean as per the Hilton guidelines. No 2nd day housekeeping but items provided on request. Coffee machine and all other expected items were present. Pool and gym were open by bookings only. The restaurant has been reduced in number of covers, so was full on our first night. Lots of options near though.

2nd night ate in the restaurant and it was pretty average, even for a hotel. The posters around the place brag its the best steak in the area; but on the reduced menu there isn’t a steak. The food tasted microwaved or just bland. It wasn’t the celebrity chef experience they promise. Service was friendly.

Breakfast is in the restaurant as normal, but you have to give a rough time to book a table. On the first day a menu was brought to the table and you ordered from this. I had avo and poached eggs on sourdough - it was tasty. You then had to go and collect from the pass and your drinks from another table when ready (a staff member would come from either location and tell you it was ready - don’t quite know why they didn’t come with the items). On the second day you ordered your drinks and then went to the buffet for the breakfast - but it was served to you. A more limited range but still a good breakfast. I think the second day service was more efficient and made sense, but the avo was good on day 1.
wizla likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by residentx
Yeah, so, the lounge is closed. They gave me 2 drinks per night in lieu, which can be used in the bar downstairs or the restaurant.

I was upgraded to a junior suite on a busy weekend. Room was sealed and clean as per the Hilton guidelines. No 2nd day housekeeping but items provided on request. Coffee machine and all other expected items were present. Pool and gym were open by bookings only. The restaurant has been reduced in number of covers, so was full on our first night. Lots of options near though.

2nd night ate in the restaurant and it was pretty average, even for a hotel. The posters around the place brag its the best steak in the area; but on the reduced menu there isn’t a steak. The food tasted microwaved or just bland. It wasn’t the celebrity chef experience they promise. Service was friendly.

Breakfast is in the restaurant as normal, but you have to give a rough time to book a table. On the first day a menu was brought to the table and you ordered from this. I had avo and poached eggs on sourdough - it was tasty. You then had to go and collect from the pass and your drinks from another table when ready (a staff member would come from either location and tell you it was ready - don’t quite know why they didn’t come with the items). On the second day you ordered your drinks and then went to the buffet for the breakfast - but it was served to you. A more limited range but still a good breakfast. I think the second day service was more efficient and made sense, but the avo was good on day 1.
Thanks for that detail. Avo and poached eggs on sourdough would rank as one of my favourite breakfasts, so I'm happy about that. I'd be happy to book timeslots for pool and gym, much preferable to sharing with other people. Sounds like they're doing a decent job of balancing COVID secure practice with customer service. I'll report back at the end of the month to see how it worked out.
wizla likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 3:47 am

Back yesterday from 3 night stay (points redemption @ 50,000/night).
No upgrade shown on Hilton app prior to arrival, and nothing offered initially at check-in. Asked politely and got an executive room with balcony (although views over Bournemouth in the opposite direction to the sea and VERY uncomfortable metal balcony chairs and not much of an upgrade)
We were given 3 drinks vouchers, each good for a 2 drinks on check-in, and advised that we can come back for more whenever we like, as they are - and this is a direct quote - "unlimited". This was great news, and like a fool I even questioned it, but was told that normally the lounge would be open and you could help yourself in there, so they have to provide the same (that is not how I've seen lounges work outside of specific happy hour periods, but OK). Experience of redeeming the vouchers varied depending on staff member. Some claimed it was draught Becks (eugh!), single house spirits or small (125ml) glass of wine, and yet others offered bottled ales and large (250ml) glasses of wine. Replenishment of vouchers was met with varying degrees of confusion (or perhaps judgement) and when I mentioned that a colleague had advised they were unlimited I got some raised eyebrows, so not entirely convinced that was policy, but we did manage to obtain and redeem, ahem, 'plenty' of vouchers.
As reported above, bookings were required for breakfast. The room service menu was never offered but was available when we asked. Day 1 the waitress bringing our drinks took the order and delivered it. The remaining days we were told to order at the counter next to where the hot items were served from. In all cases, the food was acceptable but nothing special. Service varied between great and "do you think they've forgotten us?".
Took a swim on one day, after booking our appointment (which is for 45 minutes and covers pool only, gym is separately booked). There were about 8 other people in there which made social distancing just about possible.
Hand sanitiser was in plentiful supply with dispensers dotted around the hotel. Signs were posted mandating mask wearing, but this was not policed and poorly adhered to. I'd guess less than 50% of people wore masks in the lobby. The layout is difficult though as the lobby is not very deep, so any queueing at reception causes conflict with people as soon as they enter through the front door, and there is seating for the lobby bar (where mask wearing is not required or practical) and the restaurant is a few steps away where most are heading and would not intend to wear masks. Plastic screens were in place at reception and most staff wore masks although one or two never did (they may have good reason not to).
Only real problem we had was an intermittent loud buzzing sound in the room. Every 5-10 minutes and lasting about 2 seconds is particularly irritating, especially when it does it in the middle of the night. I raised this with reception on numerous occasions and was always assured it was passed to maintenance, and once was told that a duty manager would investigate while we were out for the evening. I never heard back to say anything had been found and the noise continued. I mentioned this on check out and they credited my parking (£12/day).

Overall, not a bad stay and if I had to go to Bournemouth again, I'd probably stay here. It's fairly well located for access to shops, and beaches within a reasonable walk (but no real views) but I wouldn't rush back.
wizla likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2020, 9:49 am

Location: The Blackwater Valley (Berkshire/Hampshire/Surrey border area)
Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Diamond, etc etc
Originally Posted by Geoggy
Well we've just checked in and no other upgrade ever will ever match what we just lucked out on.

Booked basic room - they said we had a nice upgrade, so assumed Exec, but er no. For some reason we are top of the shop! King Exec 1 bedroom suite with sea view. This room is over 500 quid a night normally!
It's nice when that happens... I had a similar experience with the Hilton in Liverpool - booked a basic double room, and got the President Suite (sans mini-bar!)
Old Aug 28, 2020, 12:51 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
We were given 3 drinks vouchers, each good for a 2 drinks on check-in, and advised that we can come back for more whenever we like, as they are - and this is a direct quote - "unlimited". This was great news, and like a fool I even questioned it, but was told that normally the lounge would be open and you could help yourself in there, so they have to provide the same (that is not how I've seen lounges work outside of specific happy hour periods, but OK). Experience of redeeming the vouchers varied depending on staff member. Some claimed it was draught Becks (eugh!), single house spirits or small (125ml) glass of wine, and yet others offered bottled ales and large (250ml) glasses of wine. Replenishment of vouchers was met with varying degrees of confusion (or perhaps judgement) and when I mentioned that a colleague had advised they were unlimited I got some raised eyebrows, so not entirely convinced that was policy, but we did manage to obtain and redeem, ahem, 'plenty' of vouchers.
Seems like a faff. Why not just give you something in writing that says you can order unlimited drinks (perhaps from a pre-defined list) to be charged to the room and they will waive the charges.

I've been wanting to stay here for some time, but the price differential between this and the adjacent Hampton has always been too high for me, even when the lounge is operating normally, and there are too many reports of little things going wrong (like that intermittent noise) both on here and on headforpoints.

Originally Posted by Cyberhacker
It's nice when that happens... I had a similar experience with the Hilton in Liverpool - booked a basic double room, and got the President Suite (sans mini-bar!)
That's a 4-year-old post you quoted. I got the presidential suite in Hilton Lake Taupo (NZ), because the hotel was fully booked and I guess I was the highest status member. Paid less than £100 for the cheapest room
Old Aug 28, 2020, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by :D!
Seems like a faff. Why not just give you something in writing that says you can order unlimited drinks (perhaps from a pre-defined list) to be charged to the room and they will waive the charges.
I did think that, but I guess they rely on shame preventing people from requesting too many vouchers. Didn't work with me
Old Aug 28, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
Back yesterday from 3 night stay (points redemption @ 50,000/night).
No upgrade shown on Hilton app prior to arrival, and nothing offered initially at check-in. Asked politely and got an executive room with balcony (although views over Bournemouth in the opposite direction to the sea and VERY uncomfortable metal balcony chairs and not much of an upgrade)
As reported above, bookings were required for breakfast. The room service menu was never offered but was available when we asked. Day 1 the waitress bringing our drinks took the order and delivered it. The remaining days we were told to order at the counter next to where the hot items were served from. In all cases, the food was acceptable but nothing special. Service varied between great and "do you think they've forgotten us?".
Took a swim on one day, after booking our appointment (which is for 45 minutes and covers pool only, gym is separately booked). There were about 8 other people in there which made social distancing just about possible.
Hand sanitiser was in plentiful supply with dispensers dotted around the hotel. Signs were posted mandating mask wearing, but this was not policed and poorly adhered to. I'd guess less than 50% of people wore masks in the lobby. The layout is difficult though as the lobby is not very deep, so any queueing at reception causes conflict with people as soon as they enter through the front door, and there is seating for the lobby bar (where mask wearing is not required or practical) and the restaurant is a few steps away where most are heading and would not intend to wear masks. Plastic screens were in place at reception and most staff wore masks although one or two never did (they may have good reason not to).
Only real problem we had was an intermittent loud buzzing sound in the room. Every 5-10 minutes and lasting about 2 seconds is particularly irritating, especially when it does it in the middle of the night. I raised this with reception on numerous occasions and was always assured it was passed to maintenance, and once was told that a duty manager would investigate while we were out for the evening. I never heard back to say anything had been found and the noise continued. I mentioned this on check out and they credited my parking (£12/day).

Overall, not a bad stay and if I had to go to Bournemouth again, I'd probably stay here. It's fairly well located for access to shops, and beaches within a reasonable walk (but no real views) but I wouldn't rush back.
Thanks for coming back and reporting your views, I’ve always found the hotel good and a favourite with me , however I’ve had had some niggles too, nothing terrible though....the suites here are impressive.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 9:57 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Booked a last minute stay here this week on points, haven't been for quite some time so looking forward to visiting again.

Thanks to the posters upthread for the recent Covid measures and points, all very helpful.

I'll update during the stay, fingers crossed for a nice upgrade.

Stay safe everyone.
wizla likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by BotB
Booked a last minute stay here this week on points, haven't been for quite some time so looking forward to visiting again.

Thanks to the posters upthread for the recent Covid measures and points, all very helpful.

I'll update during the stay, fingers crossed for a nice upgrade.

Stay safe everyone.
Hope it’s a positive experience mate, I enjoyed my last stay there albeit a while back.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:35 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
Stayed here last weekend, would advise you book breakfast now as I couldn't get any slots at check-in after 8AM which isn't ideal.

No upgrade but generous with the drinks vouchers, modern rooms and good location but overall think it's a bit overpriced.
BotB likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 8:40 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Just a quick note to point out that this hotel has put a seven-day cancellation policy on its points redemptions until early September. Nearly caught me out.
BotB likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by lcylocal
Just a quick note to point out that this hotel has put a seven-day cancellation policy on its points redemptions until early September. Nearly caught me out.
Hey cheers for the heads up mate.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by lcylocal
Crazy thing is that if you book the doubletree down the road you have until 4pm on day of arrival to cancel!…..not seen that policy for a few years.
lcylocal likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.