Search

Hilton Bournemouth {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2021, 12:02 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by wizla
Crazy thing is that if you book the doubletree down the road you have until 4pm on day of arrival to cancel!…..not seen that policy for a few years.
Doubletree? Do you mean the Hampton?
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:02 pm

Programs: hhonors diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
Doubletree? Do you mean the Hampton?
Ahh, hang on….apologies….. I meant the doubletree Southampton, not far but not exactly “ down the road “ …. It came up in the same search.
Old Jul 22, 2021, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Just a quick note to point out that this hotel has put a seven-day cancellation policy on its points redemptions until early September. Nearly caught me out.
Thanks, I have a booking but what with the possibility of amber plus I may be cancelling and was not aware of this 7 day rule. I appreciate you taking the time to post.
lcylocal likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 5:07 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Forgot to come back and report about the stay...in the hopes it helps others...

-checked in slightly early around 13:00, really just wanted to ensure I could park in the garage without a fine but the very helpful front desk staff checked and provided us with an upgraded room then and there so a very nice gesture and much appreciated. (basic room to a Jnr. Suite as well!) I attribute this to the fact we were there mid week before the school holidays and only for two nights plus my past stay history but maybe it was simply dumb luck...in any case appreciated but I would suggest that one doesn't expect upgrades here in the peak season due to the popularity and location. (a friend with diamond status checked in the day we left but for a 5 day stay and with two rooms over a weekend and didn't get any upgrade as another data point but maybe that was due to the connecting room desire/issue).

-I did get proactively asked about breakfast timings at check in which was nice and great to see (given one had to book a 30 minute slot, from 6:30 IIRC to 10:00...the latest slot being the most desired of 9:30...my wife can't sleep late so that wasn't an issue for us and we could book the 8 AM slot without issue for both days. This may be different now given covid Rule changes but just in case it is still in place.

-The Jnr Suite was at the end of the second floor 227 which was new to me as the other junior suites are all ending x25 from past stays. The room was lovely and the same as other junior suite pictures in this thread with a slightly different room layout but the big bathroom and stand alone tub and separate walk in shower were still there. The bedroom could actually be separated from the living space with a pocket door that closed which was a very nice touch.

-usual Nespresso machine and water in the fridge which was working were nice to have.

-breakfast was buffet service but they plated and served you with drinks being brought to the table. Coffee is still the rubbish stuff out of the cheap machines one sees in the UK Hiltons (not the barista machine they have available at the bar that connects to the restaurant). The food was good, nothing outstanding but decent. Good variety of hot and cold items but no mention of special items that could be ordered like eggs avocado (which my wife ordered and was pleased with)...so don't forget to ask or simply order other egg or special items as they won't mention this to you otherwise. Service was good but it was still early and not full capacity so that always helps.

-most people still wore masks but there were always exceptions, especially at breakfast where people would come in without and then apologise and ask for one but not use it...or get up from tables and go to the buffet but not put it on, etc...that is all besides the point now with the change in rules but still wasn't great to see.

-One now has to pay a 'top up' fee for parking if you want to stay later than the usual 12 noon parking on day of departure (used to be free for up to 4 additional hours)...it is a token charge which is all the more frustrating as no lounge or other amenities (besides the hand written note for 2 free drinks at the bar given at check in)...the fee to park longer is £1 / hour...up to maximum of £4 for the four hours OR £12 for any period between 4 hours and 12 hours extension. So, in total £28 for two days midweek to park here with 4 hour extension (used to be £10 weekdays and £12 weekends but hey ho)...

-imagine my delight when I received a parking charge notice today in the post...for this stay. I'm contesting it and have the hotel invoice to show I paid but what a pain that shouldn't happen really. (£80 fine as well!)

-I also had the ridiculous cancellation notice on this points stay and as I had booked it fairly last minute (two or three days before IIRC), once booked the minimum period was already gone so would have lost my points if I didn't go....completely unacceptable...I realise it is highly desired location and half the country seems to go to Bournemouth for holidays but still...points stays should be flexible, end of. Definitely would be a factor in my future stay decisions.

All in all, a very nice stay with a lovely upgrade but enough niggles that detract from the overall experience and some points to watch out for!

Stay safe everyone.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 12:36 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Does anybody know whether they're getting rid of the lounge? Thanks!
Old Nov 14, 2021, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
Does anybody know whether they're getting rid of the lounge? Thanks!
It’s still ‘opening soon’ but they used to close this lounge with zero notice anyway. It was a death spell when the moved it from the top to the bottom of the building into a meeting room.

You could forgive the hotel’s dodgy location when it had a decent restaurant, excellent views from a well stocked lounge, modern/clean bedrooms and an exclusive sky lounge bar. Now it’s in a rough location, no or badly stocked lounge, the rooms are showing their age, badly staffed, the celebrity chef has gone and the sky lounge is a hangout for less-than-desriable people (requiring three security guards).
hugolover and wizla like this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by residentx
It’s still ‘opening soon’ but they used to close this lounge with zero notice anyway. It was a death spell when the moved it from the top to the bottom of the building into a meeting room.

You could forgive the hotel’s dodgy location when it had a decent restaurant, excellent views from a well stocked lounge, modern/clean bedrooms and an exclusive sky lounge bar. Now it’s in a rough location, no or badly stocked lounge, the rooms are showing their age, badly staffed, the celebrity chef has gone and the sky lounge is a hangout for less-than-desriable people (requiring three security guards).
What a shame!….. I’ve had some great stays here in the past, I like Bournemouth too , played many gigs there …..when it opened it had such huge potential, shame it’s gone downhill.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 11:16 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by residentx

Thanks for letting me know! I suspect it's going as they no longer mention it in the official website as an amenity
Old Nov 25, 2021, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by ILikePancakes
Thanks for letting me know! I suspect it's going as they no longer mention it in the official website as an amenity
Yep, same as Hilton Ageas bowl……. That no longer mentions Executive lounge on the website too.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 10:00 am

UPDATE - I’m hearing that the executive lounge is now open again !
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by wizla
UPDATE - I’m hearing that the executive lounge is now open again !

Really? We are staying tomorrow for 2 nights and there is no exec room category when we booked or available now. Checked in online without upgrade and still showing 1 bed suite available. Will be asking for upgrade and see what the response is. Not getting excited. Always better to book lower floors at this hotel as floor 8 has a rowdy nightclub. We tried it once and a girl v girl fight broke out and there were shoes and hair extensions flying through the air!
NoY likes this.

Last edited by AliB; Mar 10, 2022 at 4:54 pm
Old Mar 18, 2022, 5:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond
As mentioned we stayed 2 nights. Was advised by reception that the Executive Lounge is open again but only for Diamonds (no exec level room) and only Monday - Friday for breakfast and evening snacks (no evening service on a Friday). No idea of when it will be fully restored. The hotel was near full so it's getting back to normal service
residentx and wizla like this.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Was going to book on 25th April, but any cancellation rate needs 90 days notice, which is a bit impossible!

Rate is also £246 for a basic room, so can only assume something is going on.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Was going to book on 25th April, but any cancellation rate needs 90 days notice, which is a bit impossible!

Rate is also £246 for a basic room, so can only assume something is going on.
WHAT!...90 days!...... that’s ridiculous, with the covid risk still present that’s unacceptable.
Old Jun 18, 2022, 2:45 pm

Just wondering if the executive lounge has permanently closed….. nothing at all on the website ( app ) or the amenities list.
Has anyone heard?….used to be quite decent.
hugolover likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.