Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ekozie
We are trying to collate a list of the websites that Hilton's Best Rate Guarantee team consider eligible for the BRG. Please update the following wiki with you successful/rejected BRG claims.

^Successful BRG claims have been made against:
muchoviaje.com - 26/09/2016
expedia.co.uk - 26/09/2016, Jan 2018
Expedia.com (US) - 18/09/2017
Expedia.ca - 1/20/18
happyrooms.com - 30/09/2016, 25/Jan/2017, 28/Jan/2017, 27/Feb/2017, 23/July/2017
hotelscombined.com - 17/Jan/2017
priceline.com (standard booking, not a bid or express booking)- 05/Oct/2016, 15/May/2017, 22/Apr/2018, 22/Oct/18, 25/Nov/18
prestigia.com - 24/Jan/2017
orbitz.com - Dec 2017
prestigia.com - Dec 2017, January 2018
nustay.com - Feb 2020

Unauthorised Sites for BRG Claim:
roomertravel.com - 16/09/2016
prestigia.com - 27/09/2016 - 'does not instantly confirm'
hoteltravel.com - August 2016 - " there have been discrepancies in the way the website has been displaying prices recently, and we are not satisfied that the website's processes are fair and transparent."
destinia.com - 29/09/2016 - 12 EUR Administration Fee for any cancellation vs Hilton Fully Flex
Travel.AmericaExpress.co.uk - 29/09/2016 Amex Card holders only
Bedfinder.com 6/8/17 - The third party site bedfinder.com is no longer considered to be valid
skoosh.com - denied 10//4/18

BRG claims on non-refundable rates are a gamble at best. Hilton can ask 3rd party sites to remove rates when they "sell unbundled wholesale rates", and screenshots are no longer sufficient proof. You will end up with the non-refundable rate booked, if the rate is gone when your claim is being reviewed.

On 18 November 2014 (see post #1261 of the archived thread), the HHonorsRepresentative listed 15 third-party websites that were 'no longer authorized to distribute our hotels’ static rates':
  • Alpharooms.com
  • Amoma.com
  • Cleartrip.com
  • Despegar
  • Elvoline
  • Galahotels
  • Hotelpronto.com
  • Jumbotours
  • LMT.com
  • Secretescapes
  • Simplytravel.de
  • TravelRepublic
  • Wego
  • Worldwideholidays.com.au

However, on 19 December 2014 (see post #3 of this thread), the HHonorsRepresentative announced a change of policy, stating that:
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Moving forward, we will approve claims from these sites as long as the offered rates meet the other BRG requirements we have in place, as we recognize that this is in the best interest of our members.

The Best Rate Guarantee exists so that our guests feel confident going to Hilton Worldwide channels to find the best rates that we offer. We strive for pricing accuracy in all our channels, and the BRG helps identify when that is not the case.
The HonorsRepresentative has not issued any subsequent statement suggesting another change of policy and a return to the previous 'blacklist'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the late 2014/2015 BRG thread - for the original thread please check here

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee, or BRG: The Definitive Thread

Thanks!

Squeakr
for the HH Mod Team of squeakr, Canarsie and Kiwi Flyer
--------
Print Wikipost

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Speedy Rewards Beverage Club
Just successfully got a BRG claim through where I was matching a non-refundable Agoda.com rate found through a Kayak.com search.

I did this by phone because it's a non-refundable rate and I don't want to deal with the check they send you. After the agent confirmed I'd located an eligible rate and matching rooms, the telephone agent said that "per the terms and conditions of the program," he could not match Agoda or Kayak rates because Hilton doesn't "have a contract with them." I price match to Agoda with some regularity, so I was polite and asked for a supervisor. He came back on the line after 10 minutes and said "We will be matching, sir. Please stand by."

I don't understand why Hilton pushes back on these...my understanding is that they take a larger commission as liquidated damages from the franchisee for a BRG reservation. Still better than Marriott.
Old May 9, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DAYflier

I don't understand why Hilton pushes back on these...my understanding is that they take a larger commission as liquidated damages from the franchisee for a BRG reservation. Still better than Marriott.
Congrats on your successful BRG claim!

I think the push back comes from reps that haven't been properly trained, they are misinformed about the BRG, never did a BRG claim before, or simply just don't want to deal with it. It seems there is a whole lot of "Sorry, we don't match that site". It's almost like it's a default script. One rep told me that she never heard of Agoda and wasn't sure if the Hilton matches that site. Another rep told me that she wasn't sure that they matched Priceline...Exactly. I told them that they do. After some hold time, they confirmed that those sites did get matched. For some Hilton CSRs, it's just simpler to shut it down instead of actually doing the work, unfortunately. I'm glad that you asked to speak to a supervisor and escalated it. That is the way to go.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Hoping someone can answer a very basic question on Hilton BRG. Do you have to book the lowest rate on hilton.com to get approved? By this I mean Hilton is offering 2 rate types for my stay -- semi-flex and fully flex. I found a lower rate fully flex on agoda. I called thinking this would be easier. I didn't start scanning this thread until the 46 minute call so now I know better. Anyway the agent told me the best she could do is approve the semi-flex rate hilton honors rate because it was the cheapest.

I've only done BRG with Marriott and Hyatt where terms must match so I'm trying to sort this out. It seems like the semi-flex would be a way to deny every BRG in that instance. I just want to be sure I have this right for future reference.
Old May 12, 2019, 3:11 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by craigthemif
It would also be ruinously expensive for Hilton to pay someone for a 8 hour day to handle 14-15 BRG claims (at 30+ minutes each)
You would think. If you and I were running a business we would not want to pay a full time salary for this kind of workload.

Because I thought I had been put in the Hilton BRG "doghouse" I took a break for a while and did not submit any claim but now that enough time has elapsed I thought I would give it another go. I found a BRG but it was on a pre-paid rate. Given my recent experiences no way I would take a chance doing this online so I called in, which is something which did not go real well last time I tried.

I explained to the agent what I found and was put on hold but not for very long - no more than 5 minutes. Then the agent came back on the line to tell me that I was correct and he was updating my reservation and calculating the new rate (original currency vs USD, pre-tax vs post-tax, etc.) and while he was doing all that I could hear he's typing on his keyboard and telling me once in a while to hold on, he's getting there. All in, the call lasted 40 minutes. I did not mind because I was just doing something else while I put him on speaker phone. But still, 40 minutes - given that he had me on the line and not on hold, I truly wonder if he was working on updating my BRG all this time or he was handling other BRG claims while I am waiting? It felt like it was my claim he was still figuring out.

The positive is that he approved it quite early in the call and he did not use any reason to originally decline so we did not have to argue about anything. In addition when he calculated my new rate it was exactly what it was supposed to be. ^
craigthemif likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by chicaloca453
Hoping someone can answer a very basic question on Hilton BRG. Do you have to book the lowest rate on hilton.com to get approved? By this I mean Hilton is offering 2 rate types for my stay -- semi-flex and fully flex. I found a lower rate fully flex on agoda. I called thinking this would be easier. I didn't start scanning this thread until the 46 minute call so now I know better. Anyway the agent told me the best she could do is approve the semi-flex rate hilton honors rate because it was the cheapest.

I've only done BRG with Marriott and Hyatt where terms must match so I'm trying to sort this out. It seems like the semi-flex would be a way to deny every BRG in that instance. I just want to be sure I have this right for future reference.
If I'm understanding you correctly, the agent was in error. All that matters is that the terms of the two reservations are completely identical.

Calling is NOT easier. Do it again. Book the fully flex rate on Hilton.com. Check to make sure the Agoda rate is EXACTLY the same in every respect. Screenshot the Agoda rate, including the time/date on your screen. Fill out the online claim form (takes 2 minutes). You'll likely hear back in an hour. If they deny, send them the screenshot in your reply. If they try again to claim you haven't booked the lowest rate, argue with them. Tell them you booked the lowest FULLY FLEXIBLE rate, and the semi-flex is NOT the same. Talk to them like they're 7 year olds. Persistence pays off.

NOTE: Now, they HAVE been known to deny based on a lower fully-flexible reservation on the Hilton website, such as an Hhonors rate. If you're an Hhonors member, make sure you've booked the Hhonors discount rates that are parallel to the competing rate.

Last edited by hotturnip; May 13, 2019 at 7:16 pm Reason: Clarification
Old May 13, 2019, 7:34 pm

What a dilemma in the last few days,
after many HUCA calls and operators hanging up on me, I finally saved 600 GBP on a 6 night stay in London.
This was using agoda on a pre paid rate no cancellation rate.
I had the agent from the USA look up the BRG price and the Hilton price before processing the booking, after several refreshes and changing the currency to GBP he was finally able to see the much cheaper price. After days of frustration it all finally worked out...
Old May 14, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: UA Silver/ AA EXP/Hyatt Globalist/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the help! I thought that was correct but I wanted to be sure. These people are awful.
Old May 17, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: BA GGL
Hilton Doha - success

Contrary to the recommendations on this forum i took the plunge and booked a prepaid room at the Hilton Doha for 6 nights in December. I only did so after keeping relevant time stamped evidence as recommended many times in this forum. The source of my cheaper rate was Agoda.com via Trivago.co.uk. Original claim was rejected since directly accessing Agoda didnt bring up the cheaper price but claim was swifly approved once i provided updated screenshots.
Hilton Prepaid Rate - 510 QAR/night
Agoda Rate - 499 QAR/night
Rate after BPG - 374 QAR/night

Delighted to be getting this 5* resort with Diamond benefits for around 80 GBP/night

Thanks to everyone for their contributions here without which i would no doubt have given up on the claim.
Cat88L3 and dagangwood like this.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: ANA,Qantas,asiamiles,Royal Skies,Enrich
40min from submitting claim to claim honoured
Doubletree by Hilton Melaka
twin room
Hilton rate MYR 278 ++
Agoda rate MYR 272.58 ++
Final adjusted rate MYR 204++
Old May 21, 2019, 1:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
[deleted]

Last edited by TravelingZoomer; May 21, 2019 at 11:47 am
Old May 21, 2019, 1:04 am

Seems like Hilton is more amenable than Marriott with these.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nygiants242
Seems like Hilton is more amenable than Marriott with these.
They aren't...

But that's not to say that Marriott hasn't slowly become more difficult to claim...
Old May 21, 2019, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by verbyournoun
Had another very easy call and BRG with a Diamond Desk Agent (if you're diamond use them they are so much more helpful)
Conrad Bangkok
Deluxe King
Hilton Rate 145 USD
Expedia 137 USD
Actual: Here's the kicker, the phone agent I think made a mistake but I am certainly not going to complain. Got it down to 102.5 in......THB. If you wanna know why I'm so excited, just look up THB to USD conversion rates
Sounds like you are confident that front desk will honor this rate?
Old May 21, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by escape4
Sounds like you are confident that front desk will honor this rate?
Who cares? IF they don't OP can always get the $ from Corporate.
Old May 21, 2019, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by nacho
Who cares? IF they don't OP can always get the $ from Corporate.
Sounds like you are confident that Corporate will honor this rate?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.