Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ekozie
We are trying to collate a list of the websites that Hilton's Best Rate Guarantee team consider eligible for the BRG. Please update the following wiki with you successful/rejected BRG claims.

^Successful BRG claims have been made against:
muchoviaje.com - 26/09/2016
expedia.co.uk - 26/09/2016, Jan 2018
Expedia.com (US) - 18/09/2017
Expedia.ca - 1/20/18
happyrooms.com - 30/09/2016, 25/Jan/2017, 28/Jan/2017, 27/Feb/2017, 23/July/2017
hotelscombined.com - 17/Jan/2017
priceline.com (standard booking, not a bid or express booking)- 05/Oct/2016, 15/May/2017, 22/Apr/2018, 22/Oct/18, 25/Nov/18
prestigia.com - 24/Jan/2017
orbitz.com - Dec 2017
prestigia.com - Dec 2017, January 2018
nustay.com - Feb 2020

Unauthorised Sites for BRG Claim:
roomertravel.com - 16/09/2016
prestigia.com - 27/09/2016 - 'does not instantly confirm'
hoteltravel.com - August 2016 - " there have been discrepancies in the way the website has been displaying prices recently, and we are not satisfied that the website's processes are fair and transparent."
destinia.com - 29/09/2016 - 12 EUR Administration Fee for any cancellation vs Hilton Fully Flex
Travel.AmericaExpress.co.uk - 29/09/2016 Amex Card holders only
Bedfinder.com 6/8/17 - The third party site bedfinder.com is no longer considered to be valid
skoosh.com - denied 10//4/18

BRG claims on non-refundable rates are a gamble at best. Hilton can ask 3rd party sites to remove rates when they "sell unbundled wholesale rates", and screenshots are no longer sufficient proof. You will end up with the non-refundable rate booked, if the rate is gone when your claim is being reviewed.

On 18 November 2014 (see post #1261 of the archived thread), the HHonorsRepresentative listed 15 third-party websites that were 'no longer authorized to distribute our hotels’ static rates':
  • Alpharooms.com
  • Amoma.com
  • Cleartrip.com
  • Despegar
  • Elvoline
  • Galahotels
  • Hotelpronto.com
  • Jumbotours
  • LMT.com
  • Secretescapes
  • Simplytravel.de
  • TravelRepublic
  • Wego
  • Worldwideholidays.com.au

However, on 19 December 2014 (see post #3 of this thread), the HHonorsRepresentative announced a change of policy, stating that:
Originally Posted by HonorsRepresentative
Moving forward, we will approve claims from these sites as long as the offered rates meet the other BRG requirements we have in place, as we recognize that this is in the best interest of our members.

The Best Rate Guarantee exists so that our guests feel confident going to Hilton Worldwide channels to find the best rates that we offer. We strive for pricing accuracy in all our channels, and the BRG helps identify when that is not the case.
The HonorsRepresentative has not issued any subsequent statement suggesting another change of policy and a return to the previous 'blacklist'.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the late 2014/2015 BRG thread - for the original thread please check here

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee, or BRG: The Definitive Thread

Thanks!

Squeakr
for the HH Mod Team of squeakr, Canarsie and Kiwi Flyer
--------
Print Wikipost

Hilton Best Rate Guarantee or BRG

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by hotturnip

I use Priceline A LOT, and have since they first started. The rates and room types they offer very closely parallel what is available on the hotel brand's website. This has been very consistent in my experience.
I know what the other poster is talking about. My 2 unsuccessful price matches were from Priceline with different dates for cancellation for different hotels. For example, Priceline had their cancellation deadline at 11:59 pm 4/12, but the Hilton had it at 1159 pm 4/11.

All 4 successful price matches were from Priceline as well in which the cancellation dates and times were exactly the same as the Hilton. So the cancellation policies between the Hilton and Priceline can vary.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, prompted by piaopiao's comment, I looked up the Chicago Hampton room again. By continuing to scroll down the screen (WAY down), I eventually came to some room types that listed TWO options: both an 11:59 PM cancel AND an 12:00 cancel for the same day. Which seems crazy. Why list it that way? I'm going to start checking for this.

I still have the impression that this is often some kind of "lost in translation" effect, but you could be right that they actually intend to make it a 12 AM cancel the night before. In any case I appreciated the Hilton people for honoring my request even though (as I noted) they were technically right.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Cat88L3
Exactly, my experiences has been the same. Phoning in a claim is much easier and faster than email. This is how I have handled all of my price matches. It seems that by default, the HH reps initially say that they aren't sure if they match that site or they have difficulty finding the room category, lol. Much easier to call them out (nicely) and guide them through their foolishness.
My problem with the phoning (as in my episode described above) is the long holds and constant disconnects.
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
My problem with the phoning (as in my episode described above) is the long holds and constant disconnects.
learning from reading this thread, when the agent tried to put me on hold I said “it’s okay I want to remain on the line if you have any questions” which seemed to do the trick
Old Apr 30, 2019, 11:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I agree. While phone might be what will get your BRG approved the earliest if you are willing to call back when the line disconnects and hold the line for several minutes (in other words, you are free for the next hour or so to dedicate this time to BRG), however if you deal with e-mail, even if you have to challenge it 2-3 times, the total time spent writing those e-mails will be no more than 10 minutes. The drawback is with the back and forth by e-mail the BRG might only be approved 2-3 days later.

So basically what is "quicker" depends on your point of view: how much time you spend on it, or when will it be approved.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by escape4

So basically what is "quicker" depends on your point of view: how much time you spend on it, or when will it be approved.
Definitely it is to each his own. The bottom line is to go with whichever method works best for you.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 7:00 pm

For a hotel in New York I found a lower rate on a non-English (German) OTA than what is shown on the Hilton site - for an advance purchase rate. I would like to call in the BRG claim in order to avoid getting denied with a spurious "cannot find" excuse. Can one do this on the phone (to a US 800#) when the competing site is not in English?
Old Apr 30, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
A family member tried to do a BRG claim on an Another Day in Paradise rate he found for a hotel in Hawaii as Priceline was offering a lower rate (non-refundable). The Another Day in Paradise rate requires full prepayment at booking and is non-refundable, the same applies with non-refundable bookings via Priceline. The first agent he spoke to denied his claim because the name of the rate on Priceline isn't Another Day in Paradise, so he asked to be escalated to her supervisor. The supervisor then said the claim is denied because of the terms of the rates as the Another Day in Paradise rate mentions "Stay 4 Get the 5th Night Free", while the non-refundable rate at Priceline does not.
Old May 1, 2019, 3:28 am

Had a succesfull BRG claim for our four night stay in The Renwick Hotel in New York City. Found a lower rate on Agoda through google. Then booked a room through the Hilton App ( refundable).
Claim was denied at first because they could not verify it. Send an email back with a screenshot of the Agoda rates and claim was honored. Was surprised because it was not clear when the screenshot was taken (I took a picture with my phone of the computer screen)
Ended up paying $ 145 per night including all taxes and fees.
Cat88L3 likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 9:12 am

I tried again, for the same hotel as last time (Hilton Garden Inn, Muscat Oman), where I had found basically the same situation as last time. One thing I confirmed (and others have mentioned this) - Agoda may give lower rates if you go to TripAdvisor first and then use their link to Agoda.

The first agent (level one support from The Philippines) denied the claim stating that the terms were different. They were not and when I challenged her I was put on hold and then was disconnected a minute later. I called back and got another agent from The Philippines. This time I immediately asked for a manager and got a US agent. Luckily I was doing this during normal US business hours (unlike last time when the "manager was not available" when I first called).

The person took my info and asked if I could hold the line briefly. She then said, "Well, actually these things usually take a little time". I said sure, no problem and then waited on hold for 37 minutes. When she returned she just said "OK" and processed the reservation with 25% off Agoda's rate.
Old May 5, 2019, 7:41 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Ziggo
The person took my info and asked if I could hold the line briefly. She then said, "Well, actually these things usually take a little time". I said sure, no problem and then waited on hold for 37 minutes. When she returned she just said "OK" and processed the reservation with 25% off Agoda's rate.
37 minutes? Good grief. I would have thought I was on an infinite loop and I doubt I would have stayed on for so long!
Old May 6, 2019, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
37 minutes? Good grief.
No kidding. You and I are amongst the "BRG experts" on FT, but it would take me 2 minutes tops to find and confirm a lower rate.

It would also be ruinously expensive for Hilton to pay someone for a 8 hour day to handle 14-15 BRG claims (at 30+ minutes each), so the strategy must be to have each agent deal with 10-20 claims at a time and hope for calls to drop off, etc.
escape4 and strickerj like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
No kidding. You and I are amongst the "BRG experts" on FT, but it would take me 2 minutes tops to find and confirm a lower rate.

It would also be ruinously expensive for Hilton to pay someone for a 8 hour day to handle 14-15 BRG claims (at 30+ minutes each), so the strategy must be to have each agent deal with 10-20 claims at a time and hope for calls to drop off, etc.
My experience was similar: took the phone agent forever even to get started, and yet longer to find the rate. Much prefer the online form.
Old May 8, 2019, 3:57 am

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
/god awful price match scheme... spent best part of 2-3 hours waiting over 3 calls. to eventually get to the point where we nearly agreed the rate was qualifying for them only to come back and state the clearly LOWER rate didnt mention anything about taxes....even though if the taxes were to be added ( which I'm sure they are likely to be included) would still make the rate cheaper!! shocking denials, persoanlly find this worse then IHG which was hard at best. Is there a hilton honors representative on here that can help?
Old May 8, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Reading through this I thought I may well find they decline my claim but success with just one email back with a jpg.

LondonHouse Chicago, Curio
July 4 nights
from 796.32 USD
down to 473.59 USD
Match to hotels.com
Cat88L3 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.