Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Frequie
Maybe you did this correctly and followed all procedures. But trust me, this is not the case every time.
Yep. And I feel that is something that both frequent travelers and hotel/airline employees forget way too often. Employees forget that the traveler has no idea how competent they are, or whether things have happened as they are supposed to (and every frequent traveler knows not to assume that everything has been looked after), and a lot of frequent travelers forget that hotel/airline employees deal with a lot of stupid jerks on a daily basis and when you come on strong they don't know that you're speaking from experience rather than just being a jerk (or well, maybe you are just being a jerk even if you're right).

If I actually got upgraded on a consistent basis I wouldn't have to ask.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by PowerMan572
I just made Diamond today ($40k on the Citi Reserve card.) So I most likely won't receive upgrades on my Hilton stays next month in Italy? 90% of the rooms are booked on points.

We're staying in Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan.

Hilton points are so easy to collect. That's why I decided to go with their loyalty program vs. Marriott and the others. I guess if I don't get upgrades left and right, I will still stick with them simply because of the points factor. I carry the Reserve and the Surpass card. The points come rolling in.
Whether you pay cash, or use points, shouldn't matter.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 1:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
On Christmas Day, I was downgraded at the Hilton Millenium in New York -- but that was not what bothered me, it was the lie which followed.

I had a premium award smoking room reserved. As I would be arriving around 7 am, after a 12 hour flight from TLV, I called the hotel a week earlier and asked what my chances were for an early check in. I was told that there should be no problem on that day but to call again when I arrived at the airport to let them know I was on my way.

I did that, was informed that the premium room was still occupied, but if I wanted a regular smoking room that would be no problem. I agreed.

When I got there, the woman working the front desk told me that there were no rooms available and that I would have to wait until the afternoon to check in.

I told her that I had called an hour earlier and was told that I could get my room immediately as long as I did not need the premium one.

"Who told you that?" she demanded.

I didn't know his name but I told her that it was whoever was answering the phone at Reservations. She went into the adjoining office and the gentleman I had spoken with came out and confirmed what I had said.

Then, as if she was doing me a major favor, the woman agreed to check me in but added, "this is only today. We won't do it again."
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:43 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by slidergirl
I just find it rather unsavory that there are FTers here who appear to go into every hotel check-in with the built-in notion that any agent they encounter will be lazy, untrained, or a liar (or a combination thereof). I hope that you don't go into every encounter with service personnel with the same mindset. I had the pleasure of meeting some FTers who stayed at my property and I will say that I would hope that they were the norm!
All due respect but I feel you're projecting a little bit. Please also understand that a lot of us have had bad experiences with hotel check in agents (just three months ago I had a desk agent at a Doubletree in Raleigh who insisted that only the Diamond in the room got free breakfast, my guest would have to pay) who do make up the rules. That said, I give everyone the benefit of the doubt and always have an open mind when I arrive and I think most FTers do too.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Well said.

Sadly some think they are more important than others.
Those are generally the type of people that get ahead in life.

Even if we accept that "all men are created equal", there's nothing that says that it has to stay that way...
Old Mar 13, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: AC*75K, Hhonors Diamond
I was at the Hilton Doubletree Burlington Road in Dublin last week. Asked for an upgrade at the desk (Gold this year, ugh). They said yes, upgrade available to Executive floor, but it would cost me 30EUR extra per night. I pointed out the brand standards and they said sorry, we only upgrade diamonds to executive floor, everyone else has to pay. I asked to speak with a manager and suddenly the upgrade was available for me. Really Hilton?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by rpeatt
I was at the Hilton Doubletree Burlington Road in Dublin last week. Asked for an upgrade at the desk (Gold this year, ugh). They said yes, upgrade available to Executive floor, but it would cost me 30EUR extra per night. I pointed out the brand standards and they said sorry, we only upgrade diamonds to executive floor, everyone else has to pay. I asked to speak with a manager and suddenly the upgrade was available for me. Really Hilton?
Gold does not give you a right to the executive floor. AFAIK
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Well said.

Sadly some think they are more important than others.
Those are generally the type of people that get ahead in life.

Even if we accept that "all men are created equal", there's nothing that says that it has to stay that way...
Like Steve Jobs? What you failed to add was "...but that doesn't necessarily make them nice people"

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Mar 16, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.