Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond for 10 years(2004-2014),Hilton Gold,Club Carlson gold
As a gold, I always call the hotel on day of arrival and i get upgraded 90% of the time

Last edited by angusho; Mar 6, 2015 at 12:50 am
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:28 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by angusho
As a gold, I always call the hotel on day of arrival and i get an upgrade 90% of the time
What exactly do you ask/say to them that works so well?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I find it depends on the hotel more than anything else. Some hotels (almost) always upgrade me, others never do.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond for 10 years(2004-2014),Hilton Gold,Club Carlson gold
Originally Posted by Zeeb
What exactly do you ask/say to them that works so well?
I just tell them that I'm a gold member and would really appreciate an upgrade. Call in the morning as upgrades are based on availability. Being friendly will usually do the job!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Anyone notice more FDC's saying "we've upgraded you to a ....room" when in fact you booked that upgraded room? Or saying things like a "ocean view" room, or "balcony" room. Etc?

Wonder if this is the new tactic to make ppl think they got an upgrade when they didn't...
Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:49 am

Happend to Me

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Anyone notice more FDC's saying "we've upgraded you to a ....room" when in fact you booked that upgraded room? Or saying things like a "ocean view" room, or "balcony" room. Etc?

Wonder if this is the new tactic to make ppl think they got an upgrade when they didn't...
Happend to me at Hilton San Diego two days ago. I got mad and asked to talk to the manager who upgrade my to a two bedroom suite! I hate it when people lie right in my face.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by mnredfox

I got "upgraded" at the desk into the room I had picked during online check in last month.

Last edited by Zeeb; Mar 6, 2015 at 9:22 am
Old Mar 6, 2015, 2:59 pm

Most of my genuine upgrades occur when I note some sort of personal celebration in the resv remarks. Otherwise; it is typically the faux upgrade spiel for a standard room.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by angusho
As a gold, I always call the hotel on day of arrival and i get upgraded 90% of the time
Nice ratio! ^ Roughly how many instances total are we talking about? And would that be at mainly US hotels, outside the US or both?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 1:16 pm

I'd feel like a huge DYKWIA calling the hotel directly to ask about an upgrade. I like the idea of putting a note in the reservation, where you can make it less direct "If an upgrade is available, would prefer..." or something like that. Though I can't do that for work reservations. I wish they'd just follow their written policy for upgrades so it wasn't an issue.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Nice ratio! ^ Roughly how many instances total are we talking about? And would that be at mainly US hotels, outside the US or both?
I stay about 30 nights per year, mostly in U.S. hotels!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
I'd feel like a huge DYKWIA calling the hotel directly to ask about an upgrade. I like the idea of putting a note in the reservation, where you can make it less direct "If an upgrade is available, would prefer..." or something like that. Though I can't do that for work reservations. I wish they'd just follow their written policy for upgrades so it wasn't an issue.
Ha ha ha! I know what you mean, but I think the difference is whether you act like you are entitled to an upgrade or you ask nicely if it is as all possible.

I was checking in a couple of months ago at the Hilton Queenstown and there was no upgrade, the lady said the hotel was full (which I didn't believe) and I politely asked if it was possible to speak to a manager. I didn't demand an upgrade, just asked if there was any chance and he moved me to a lakeview room (which in a place like QT makes a huge difference). I thanked him for it and he didn't seem to think i was rude (or didn't show it if he did!)

On another occasion, at the Conrad Singapore, checking in at EL, I asked about possibility of a suite upgrade, politely, and the lady said they couldn't but did offer me (instead?) a late checkout till 6pm(!) which was of far greater use anyway!

IMO, there is nothing wrong with asking, the person checking you in may be new, and may not even know about upgrade policies, so I don't see the harm in asking as long its polite and not in DYKWIA fashion. After all, the Hilton policy states for Diamond that "Space-available upgrade to a preferred room" so I guess if the hotel is not full they should be upgrading you...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:10 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond

That is my perspective as well. A short comment in the reservation is one thing, calling in advance is a bit much from my perspective (the one exception would be if it it truly is for a special occasion.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Miesque
That is my perspective as well. A short comment in the reservation is one thing, calling in advance is a bit much from my perspective (the one exception would be if it it truly is for a special occasion).
Almost exactly word-for-word what I was just about to write.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:34 pm

I agree. I wouldn't feel at all comfortable calling unless it was my partner's birthday surprise or something like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.