Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I like that term , "genuine UG". Today I was upgraded from two double beds to a queen bed. Whoop de whoop.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I should be clear I'm not attacking people who do call in - if it works then why not go for it? All power to you. It just isn't something I feel comfortable doing.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:58 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
if I worked in a hotel and somebody called me asking for an upgrade, they would go to the bottom of the pile. LOL
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:20 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by Zeeb
I should be clear I'm not attacking people who do call in - if it works then why not go for it? All power to you. It just isn't something I feel comfortable doing.
Why? Those who ask for things, often receive. My favorite quote from a loyalty person (forgot the exact person); "you know when you have "maximized" your benefits when they finally say "NO!""

Originally Posted by GentleGiant
if I worked in a hotel and somebody called me asking for an upgrade, they would go to the bottom of the pile. LOL
why is that? To punish those who are proactive? So much customer service these days is handled improperly. Unfortunately, the customers or clients need to check and double check to make sure even the simplest things are handled correctly.

Personally, I do not call. I do note requests and email additional requests. My requests are usually quite simple, but I tend to judge the service at properties with regard to the little things. If I'm checking in late, I'll often request a large bottle of sparkling water and ice to be in the room. (of course, I will pay for this)
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
That's why you don't work for a hotel.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond
My experiences and knowledge of the Hilton chain are entirely based on European properties.

I do know of staff withinsome reputable hotels within the Hilton chain that will "downgrade" your priority for upgrades when seeming a little too interested/keen. Booking lowest price room and requesting a top suite with champagne for the partner due to birthday/anniversary/promotion/having had a great holiday is a very common request in some properties, and could not always work in customer's favour.

Other properties certainly are very accomodating.

However, as a relatively low key Diamond (maybe 40 stays/year) I rarely contact hotels before, but have had a string of impressive upgrades and treats over the last 2 years nonetheless.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by treppenlaeufer
My experiences and knowledge of the Hilton chain are entirely based on European properties.

I do know of staff withinsome reputable hotels within the Hilton chain that will "downgrade" your priority for upgrades when seeming a little too interested/keen. Booking lowest price room and requesting a top suite with champagne for the partner due to birthday/anniversary/promotion/having had a great holiday is a very common request in some properties, and could not always work in customer's favour.

Other properties certainly are very accomodating.

However, as a relatively low key Diamond (maybe 40 stays/year) I rarely contact hotels before, but have had a string of impressive upgrades and treats over the last 2 years nonetheless.
My "method" has always been to not look like you want "something for nothing." When I am genuinely celebrating an occasion perks are often NOT an option. (they are a REQUIREMENT) I'll let the property know; but I'll also request things and give them my credit card # and tell them to charge me. For example, if I really want a arrival bottle of Champagne or sparkling wine, I'll say just that and request they put on my credit card. Why? Because if I'm celebrating, I'm not cheap. I do not only want the Champagne if it is FREE; I want it to celebrate with my SO.

Amazingly, or perhaps not, 70% of the time it winds up being comp'ed.

Perhaps, if you seem like you genuinely are interested in having an exemplary stay; hotel properties "get it."
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
My eyes roll immediately when I used to get the phone call; "My name is John Doe and I'm a HHonors diamond." The old comment added to a reservation of "please upgrade to suite per Diamond status" when someone booked the lowest level of room was always good for a chuckle. I once saw a comment of "always receive a suite upgrade at this hotel." I had no instructions nor directions from my management on who to upgrade. I started not looking at the folios and comments when I would start the upgrade blocking; I would do it strictly by what was available on check-in day for the entire length of stay (I did the upgrades the night before). It was the most even method available so those who beg and whine were on equal footing with those who did not ask. The reason some Golds would be upgraded instead of some Diamonds was strictly a consequence of availability and stay length. I always considered it an insult that someone thought I didn't have the intelligence and tools to appropriately and correctly dole out upgrades to my HHonors guests without waving his/her status in my face. As for phoning/emailing the GM to get the upgrade - I will say that I have never had the GM or his/her assistant come down to people blocking the rooms and say "John Doe called/email me to be sure he gets a suite upgrade." I've said before that, when confronted by someone who is pushing back because he/she did not get an upgrade, I would have loved to shown them the tape chart on the terminal and have them show/tell me who I needed to bump out of a room to give them something that I don't have available. Everyone needs to spend a few days at a Front Desk - after I did, I swore that I would never behave like some of my "guests" did...
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:32 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Well said.

Sadly some think they are more important than others.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Once, nicely. If not possible, challenging the person with (something like) "But, I see you're selling (suites) right now at this very minute, eh?" is smack in DYKWIA territory. LET. IT. GO.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by slidergirl
I always considered it an insult that someone thought I didn't have the intelligence and tools to appropriately and correctly dole out upgrades to my HHonors guests without waving his/her status in my face.
So, can you guarantee that at all Hilton full service properties GLOBALLY this process is followed; and if not followed the front desk people will be reprimanded?

I appreciate that you did your job correctly; but unless there are lean systems in place to insure this is carried out globally.... When some properties do things correctly, and others do not; the customers (paying guests) need to take things into their own hands.

This is, overall, the problem with customer service. Standards are not properly enforced. (and that includes elite and loyalty benefits)

Of course, if this is not correct, and Hilton does have a global policy; I will stand corrected.

FWIW, we are Hilton Diamond (x2) and Marriott Platinum (x1) as well as a number of other statuses. I regularly get a personal email from the general manager when we book Ritz Properties. I respond to the message, since it is sent to me personally.

My exact response to a recent email :

Thank you very much for your message. We will be traveling from Kyoto (Ritz Carlton, Kyoto) and the Kyoto concierge will be in contact to coordinate our arrival (transportation).

This is a very special trip for myself and my daughter. Any (room/suite) upgrade would be greatly appreciated. I understand this is a very busy weekend, so if upgraded accommodations are not available our preference is two beds; but of course, if a better room is only available with one bed, we would be happy to accept the upgrade. I also love high floors and views. Please note, we are also Marriott/Ritz Platinum as well as American Express Centurion (and the room is booked as an AMEX FHR rate/package).

As background, a big part of this trip is my daughter xxxxxx visiting her good friend in Tokyo this weekend. Her friend moved back to Japan from the Netherlands nine months ago.

I would also like to arrange for chocolate covered strawberries for my daughter xxxx upon arrival. This is one of her favourite treats.

I have a few other items to coordinate, but they are for later in the weekend; and we are about to depart for a full day of touring in Kyoto. I will email by this evening. In addition, if you have a spa menu/list, I would very much appreciate a look at your services.
I do not think this is over the top, since I was sent an email to begin with that said :

Dear baccarat_king,

Thank you very much for selecting to stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo and we look forward to your arrival.

I hope you enjoy your visit and if there is anything I can do to make your stay more comfortable, please feel free to e-mail me directly.

Sincerely,

John Rolfs
General Manager
The Ritz-Carlton, Tokyo
Tokyo Midtown 9-7-1, Akasaka,
Minato-ku, Tokyo, 107-6245 Japan
BTW, they exceeded my expectations with regard to everything. One of the reasons why; we keep loyal to Ritz Carlton. (perhaps, much more loyal than any other hotel loyalty chain)
Old Mar 11, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, SAS Diamond (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by slidergirl
I always considered it an insult that someone thought I didn't have the intelligence and tools to appropriately and correctly dole out upgrades to my HHonors guests without waving his/her status in my face.
Maybe you did this correctly and followed all procedures. But trust me, this is not the case every time. I have several examples of that. Here is a recent one.

I checked in at a European airport Hilton. At the check-in I small-talked a bit with the FD agent, a male in his 40s. Definitely not a "newbie". I asked him whether a "complementary Diamond upgrade to a suite was available". He told me "sorry but we are completely booked tonight".

Fair enough, I go up to my room and check the availability on Hilton.com. EVERY single room type was available to be booked for one night (length of my stay). I was angry - not because I did not get the upgrade, but because the FD lied to me.

I emailed hotel's GM and complained about this. GM wrote back and said that he was sorry about this, and that the hotel certainly was not overbooked and that I should have received an upgrade. He then offered me a guaranteed suite upgrade and extra HHonors points at my next visit.

From my point of view, if there is a suite TRULY available, if you are a nice person and ask in a non-demanding way if there is an upgrade available, and if you are Diamond then you SHOULD get the upgrade. If not, then be persistent. And if at any point someone lies to you, then complain.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 4:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I put in my comments box "a suite upgrade would be most appreciated". I don't think it's too DYKWIA but I make Diamond on stays and I'm going to keep asking for upgrades every chance I get. I like a little loyalty in return for my dollar.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
I put in my comments box "a suite upgrade would be most appreciated". I don't think it's too DYKWIA but I make Diamond on stays and I'm going to keep asking for upgrades every chance I get. I like a little loyalty in return for my dollar.
The way you write that is fine. It's the ones who say "upgrade to suite per Diamond status" sound more, well, demanding and DYKWIA.

As for corporate instructions/training on HHonors, when I worked for a Hilton family property, there wasn't one or my particular property didn't provide it. I actually had been a FTer long before I started working for them. I knew what was happening before I saw any paper in-house on things. I became our in-house HHonors go-to person.

My particular Hilton property was rather odd. It had private ownership of many of the suites and rooms. There were rules on whether or not points stays or upgrades could be placed in these rooms. So, online, a suite or room could show as "available", in reality it was not in the points/upgrade pool. Those unit owners were in it for the revenue; no matter how aggressive someone would be in demanding an upgrade, I could never use those for upgrades or points stays. Yet, to some, I was "lying" about availability

I just find it rather unsavory that there are FTers here who appear to go into every hotel check-in with the built-in notion that any agent they encounter will be lazy, untrained, or a liar (or a combination thereof). I hope that you don't go into every encounter with service personnel with the same mindset. I had the pleasure of meeting some FTers who stayed at my property and I will say that I would hope that they were the norm!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:07 pm

I just made Diamond today ($40k on the Citi Reserve card.) So I most likely won't receive upgrades on my Hilton stays next month in Italy? 90% of the rooms are booked on points.

We're staying in Rome, Florence, Venice and Milan.

Hilton points are so easy to collect. That's why I decided to go with their loyalty program vs. Marriott and the others. I guess if I don't get upgrades left and right, I will still stick with them simply because of the points factor. I carry the Reserve and the Surpass card. The points come rolling in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.