Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by davidsteverson
We were just in Phoenix and stayed 4 nights at the Pointe Hilton Tapatio Cliffs. We were on points so our bill was zero. They upgraded us to one of their largest suites (all rooms are suites but there are different levels of suites). They did not charge us the resort fee and gladly gave us the breakfast coupons for which the continental breakfast was quite good and you could get the full breakfast for a $4 upcharge.
We live in Phoenix and stay at Tapatio Cliffs a couple times a year. They always treat us well. I LOVE their breakfast. We've been lucky enough to be upgraded to their largest suite more than once, and always get at least the 2nd largest. I've posted glowing reviews for them on TA as well. They deserve it.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:12 pm

Reading this thread I kind of get the feeling that as a Gold or Diamond, one has to ask for upgrades that a Gold or Diamond is already entitled to. Would it be fair to say that in the US this is how it is but outside of the US Golds & Diamonds will pretty much be upgraded automatically? Or did I get the wrong impression entirely?
Old Mar 1, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I've had to ask in the UK, too.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold
Here's how I do:

- Prior to checkin, I contact the manager by e-mail (TripAdvisor trick)
- Normally they upgrade you right away in their system
- If not, I see if I'm upgraded at check-in.
- If not, I ask for it. Normally, they upgrade me, or at least give me Executive Lounge access.

HHonors Gold
Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Clearly I'm going about things the wrong way. I had over 70 nights in Hilton properties last year and my "upgrades", if I got anything at all, were "high floor" and/or "HHonors Floor". Which meant... maybe a couple bottles of water and a robe in the closet. None of the properties I generally stay at have lounges.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by frederichoule
Here's how I do:

- Normally they upgrade you right away in their system
- If not, I see if I'm upgraded at check-in.
- If not, I ask for it. Normally, they upgrade me, or at least give me Executive Lounge access.

HHonors Gold
I followed all these steps at the Hilton Vienna Plaza with the excuse that it was my wife's birthday and got nothing. And you could still book an Executive Room. But two other times when travelling with my wife I did get the upgrade just by contacting the manager. I only ask if I'm travelling with her. Usually I do get the upgrade without having to ask and I can see it on the Hilton webside the morning of my check-in. So I know I don't have to ask which is the way I prefer it.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:39 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by san888
This is the problem!!! We should never have to ask it should be a reward for status if they have a better room you should get it.

I'm convinced that many check in persons don't even understand HHonors and status.

Once I asked for an upgrade and they said of course....and of course they charged me for it.

HHonors needs to re-energize their program. They are going to take a hit by people who have a choice.
Yes it's a problem, but we can either whine about it or try to make the best of it. I don't like that I have to ask for upgrades but as the alternative is not getting one, I'll keep asking.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by frederichoule
That would be the FDM, right? Or the GM?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Zeeb
It seems like every time I ask about upgrades it leads to an awkward conversation where they try to upsell me instead of looking to see if upgrades were available.

Maybe I'm asking wrong, how do you guys go about it?
Originally Posted by san888
Once I asked for an upgrade and they said of course....and of course they charged me for it.
No doubt you guys didn't use the word 'complimentary' when asking for the upgrade, am I right?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I ask for a "Diamond upgrade". They don't try to upsell me, and don't charge me for it. (They don't always have it available either, of course.)
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Checked into a Hilton last night... front desk clerk welcomed me as a Diamond and told me I had a King room. I was very friendly and asked if there was any chance for a "Diamond upgrade" to a junior suite. She upgraded me with no issue. I always find I have to ask...
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Sometimes it's the GM, sometimes it's the FDM. It depends on the property. See TripAdvisor for the property, and see who is answering the customers reviews.

Last edited by frederichoule; Mar 2, 2015 at 11:45 am Reason: added the quote
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
Example:

Christina P, General Manager at Hotel Bonaventure Montreal, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago.

You take her name, google it with some keywords "linkedin, hilton", and you get her full name (in this case, Christina Poon), and then you e-mail - that's it.

Last edited by Canarsie; Dec 25, 2015 at 9:07 am Reason: Removed e-mail address.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:21 pm

Yes, I'm used to getting info on senior management via LinkedIn, TA, etc. For some properties (such as in the Maldives) it's good to know who you're dealing with as far as F&B, special requests etc, go. Thanks for the info, though. I'm sure it will be useful for a lot of people reading this thread. ^

Last edited by MaldivesFreak; Mar 2, 2015 at 12:33 pm
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA - Gold Hilton - Diamond
Having been Gold for several years, this past year I made Diamond. I thought I would get an upgrade most of the time as I was 50-50 as a Gold and never asked. I have 8 stays already in 2015 and never have been upgraded. Always greeted as Gold or Diamond, so they know my status. Except for a few extra bonus points, I don't see the value in trying for the extra stays to make Diamond.

I feel as Gold or Diamond, we are Hiltons best customers (brand loyal) and we should not have to ask to get a benefit if they can provide it. It really doesn't cost them anything if the nicer room is available.

Once I hit Gold, I will most likely do the rest of my stays at Starwood just to diversify my opportunities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.