FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you actively ask for an upgrade at the desk?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 1:52 pm
slidergirl

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by CMK10
I put in my comments box "a suite upgrade would be most appreciated". I don't think it's too DYKWIA but I make Diamond on stays and I'm going to keep asking for upgrades every chance I get. I like a little loyalty in return for my dollar.
The way you write that is fine. It's the ones who say "upgrade to suite per Diamond status" sound more, well, demanding and DYKWIA.

As for corporate instructions/training on HHonors, when I worked for a Hilton family property, there wasn't one or my particular property didn't provide it. I actually had been a FTer long before I started working for them. I knew what was happening before I saw any paper in-house on things. I became our in-house HHonors go-to person.

My particular Hilton property was rather odd. It had private ownership of many of the suites and rooms. There were rules on whether or not points stays or upgrades could be placed in these rooms. So, online, a suite or room could show as "available", in reality it was not in the points/upgrade pool. Those unit owners were in it for the revenue; no matter how aggressive someone would be in demanding an upgrade, I could never use those for upgrades or points stays. Yet, to some, I was "lying" about availability

I just find it rather unsavory that there are FTers here who appear to go into every hotel check-in with the built-in notion that any agent they encounter will be lazy, untrained, or a liar (or a combination thereof). I hope that you don't go into every encounter with service personnel with the same mindset. I had the pleasure of meeting some FTers who stayed at my property and I will say that I would hope that they were the norm!