Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hilton London Bankside {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2021, 3:30 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by andimilk
The worst views here are the internal courtyard views where you are just looking at other hotel room windows. I actually love the architecture in the bankside area - there's a great mix of dilapidated old, gentrified old and super modern - so any external view is fine with me. I also however love watching life go on in different cities, but this Hotel is in a really quiet part of London so it's never super exciting. Of course the quietness of the area is for some people a massive plus point!

As has been said many times on this thread and the Hilton forum, Park Lane is much better for views but that's not where Bankside shines. It's worth noting that despite the hotel having 7 floors, the 'penthouse' suite is actually on the 4th floor so even that doesn't have particularly great views!
To be honest my main concern in asking about corner rooms was to identify one or more room series which are bigger / better furnished than a standard executive room but not a suite. Like the x32 series at the Conrad. It can be a useful fallback to ask for if a suite upgrade isn't possible, especially as FD staff themselves don't always know the ins and outs of the floor plan.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 3:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by tango_echo
That does look rather nice. All I can see from my suite is a strange, irregularly shaped, building that doesn't seem to have a name! Was 454 nicer for being a corner room? The upgrade gods smiled on me when I checked in yesterday but it would be nice to know for reference.

Re: breakfast as commented on upthread, I was again admitted to the main restaurant, on a points booking. So it does seem to be included for diamonds. The Cumberland sausages are excellent (I might have had three)!
I'll be honest I couldn't tell you if it was nicer as that has been my only visit to date (cost now + experience last time has put me off rushing back).
I've attached some photos, hopefully they'll help!

Old Oct 8, 2021, 4:49 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
Every time I've stayed in a Deluxe King (I've never stayed in a base-level room as they have always upgraded me) it has been one of the very standard (x01-x14, x20-x42) rooms. The only difference between a Deluxe room and a normal King however is the added complimentary minibar. The x54 is an interesting one. Up to the 4th floor, these rooms are standard size and shape king/deluxe rooms. From floor 5 they have a lot more extra space which makes me think they are probably executive rooms or above from that level, although I have never stayed in one that shape to confirm.

Once you get to executive rooms, I've found a number of different layouts and shapes. I have never stayed in an x24 room which looks like it has a bit more extra space - does anyone know if these a re standard/deluxe rooms or executive?

4th floor - including standard 454 layout (next to the penthouse suite)
Old Nov 8, 2021, 7:07 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Second hotel in my London week, the first being Curio 100 Queens Gate and last Canary Wharf. Really excellent stay, welcomed back as an old friend by concierge, receptionists and even GM. Lots of new staff. Upgraded from king guest to king deluxe as fully booked due to a big banqueting event with 500 people.

Executive lounge open as previously mentioned, but still no afternoon tea, only evening drinks and food.
Breakfast was served at Oxbo. I have to admit I loved being in an exec loung again, just being able to relax with a coffee in the afternoon and drink in the evening, having a little chat. Food offerings were excellent on the 3 nights I was here. Seems to be the same as others have mentioned before, gyoza, chicken, rice, stir fry veg, fish cakes, quiche and a selection of breads and cold cuts.
Breakfast was still amazing, warm welcome back from the chefs. Staff seems to be very new and inexperienced, they will have to learn quick though as managers always on the floor with hawk eyes.
Can’t wait to return.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: hhonors diamond
I’m here Friday night with a friend, booked Twin guest room and was upgraded yesterday to a twin deluxe.
Should arrive early lunchtime so not expecting room to be ready, plan is to simply relax and catch up over a drink in the lounge in the evening ( if anyone else happens to be staying you are welcome to join us ) .
Looking forward to staying here as it’s been a while, March 2020……Will do the usual live reporting

Last edited by wizla; Nov 24, 2021 at 10:34 am
Old Nov 25, 2021, 3:52 am

Ah I'm just missing you wizla - I'll be back here on Sunday in preparation for some meetings next week. Looking forward to your reporting and hoping it's a good experience or I might have to do a last minute switch! Last Christmas they had a a huge gingerbread village in the foyer and I'm wondering if they've got the Christmas decorations up yet for this year...
Old Nov 25, 2021, 4:48 am
TTL

Programs: HH Diam, AY/AX/KQ/IHG/VISA Plat, SK/Bonvoy/Melia/Strawberry Gold, Radisson Prem, PP Prest
Expecting July and ABBA show... Here or Paddington? 4 night stay (Thu-Mon) with a newcomer friend to London. Points used and perhaps wasted 256 pounds and 200k points (in Paddington)...
Old Nov 25, 2021, 5:49 am

I've stayed at both a couple of times this year (and many times before but recent experience is always key). I would say Bankside is miles better than Hilton Paddington, in terms of lounge, rooms, facilities and breakfast. Paddington is quite dated. In terms of location, I believe the ABBA show's are at the Olympic park, and Bankside is close to Southwark station (on the Jubilee Line), which would get you directly to Stratford station, although it's only 1 change from Paddington too. I'd also say If flying into LHR, Paddington is the most convenient but Bankside is much more walkable to the tourist hub (of Westminster etc) by walking along Southbank.
The _Banking_Scot and NoY like this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by TTL
Expecting July and ABBA show... Here or Paddington? 4 night stay (Thu-Mon) with a newcomer friend to London. Points used and perhaps wasted 256 pounds and 200k points (in Paddington)...
There is absolutely no comparison. Hilton Paddington is old fashioned, in a pretty poor area unless you are taking a train to Heathrow and doesn’t treat diamonds that well.

Bankside is modern, always upgrades and has a brilliant lounge. It’s in a cool area for walking the river or into the city for dinner.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 7:44 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by residentx
There is absolutely no comparison. Hilton Paddington is old fashioned, in a pretty poor area unless you are taking a train to Heathrow and doesn’t treat diamonds that well.

Bankside is modern, always upgrades and has a brilliant lounge. It’s in a cool area for walking the river or into the city for dinner.
My experience too except regarding upgrades - I have never had a suite at Bankside - often just getting the room as booked. As a Diamond too....plus I would never stay at Paddington unless in GWR Tower room...
Old Nov 25, 2021, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by NoY
My experience too except regarding upgrades - I have never had a suite at Bankside - often just getting the room as booked. As a Diamond too....plus I would never stay at Paddington unless in GWR Tower room...
Without proper crunching of the figure I think I have a one bedroom suite (a wall between a lounge and bedroom area) 80% of time and 15% of the time an executive and 5% a proper suite with a dining table.
NoY likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2021, 8:59 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by residentx
Without proper crunching of the figure I think I have a one bedroom suite (a wall between a lounge and bedroom area) 80% of time and 15% of the time an executive and 5% a proper suite with a dining table.
Congrats! I have a stay in early January - lets see!
Old Nov 26, 2021, 9:35 am

Arrived 11-30am, room not ready but suitcase stored and off we go , returned just now @ 4pm.....swift check in although lobby is somewhat busy, up I go to my upgraded room on floor 3 .
The room is a twin deluxe, no point me reviewing it as it’s the same one I was in back in March 2020 and reviewed and photos a few posts back, still complimentary mini bar with 2 juices and 2 sodas.
Plan is to go for a swim and then lounge later ....not a lot to report really, everything appears as pre covid here......will report back!
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by wizla
Arrived 11-30am, room not ready but suitcase stored and off we go , returned just now @ 4pm.....swift check in although lobby is somewhat busy, up I go to my upgraded room on floor 3 .
The room is a twin deluxe, no point me reviewing it as it’s the same one I was in back in March 2020 and reviewed and photos a few posts back, still complimentary mini bar with 2 juices and 2 sodas.
Plan is to go for a swim and then lounge later ....not a lot to report really, everything appears as pre covid here......will report back!
POOL - no changes here, was busy when I arrived at 5pm but soon cleared and a pleasant swim was had, there is now bottled water in the gym if needed.....pool was quite warm but the showers have an ice function which is handy.

EXECUTIVE LOUNGE - got to lounge at 6-15pm, it was probably half full , it’s now almost full , it doesn’t feel like the lounge I used to know, drinks are now served and there are long queues, there are children running around too and a mildly rowdy atmosphere.

Canapés - steamed gyozas, veg quiche, ratatouille and rice, cheese and bread rolls and a carrot salad.

Beers - peroni

Spirits - johnie Walker, beefeater gin , Bacardi and Finland vodka.

Wine - red, white and a nice prosseco.

Let’s see where the evening goes.......will report back!
Old Nov 26, 2021, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by wizla
POOL - no changes here, was busy when I arrived at 5pm but soon cleared and a pleasant swim was had, there is now bottled water in the gym if needed.....pool was quite warm but the showers have an ice function which is handy.

EXECUTIVE LOUNGE - got to lounge at 6-15pm, it was probably half full , it’s now almost full , it doesn’t feel like the lounge I used to know, drinks are now served and there are long queues, there are children running around too and a mildly rowdy atmosphere.

Canapés - steamed gyozas, veg quiche, ratatouille and rice, cheese and bread rolls and a carrot salad.

Beers - peroni

Spirits - johnie Walker, beefeater gin , Bacardi and Finland vodka.

Wine - red, white and a nice prosseco.

Let’s see where the evening goes.......will report back!
Now most of the way through evening service, it’s thinned out a little, I sampled the cheeseboard and there are some crackers but in plastic wrappers, it’s pretty poor, the cheese is definitely not cheddar as it’s too crumbly and the crackers taste cheap...... it’s not a relaxed atmosphere in here , I have some drunken lady’s to my left and delightful little children doing cartwheels by the fireplace......I’m thinking back to the Waldorf next time I’m in London...... will repo back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.