Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Conrad London St. James {GBR}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2023, 5:36 pm

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Can anyone clarify what time breakfast starts in lounge and restaurant? Can diamonds choose either option! Thanks
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by wtcmor
Can anyone clarify what time breakfast starts in lounge and restaurant? Can diamonds choose either option! Thanks
I stayed in November and started my Breakfast at 7am in the Restaurant after a walk around the area. I was Gold.
So I assume as Diamond, it should be a choice I guess. Someone earlier mentioned that the lounge breakfast starts at 7am too, although the lounge opens its doors at 6.30am.
wtcmor and wizla like this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 9:45 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by est-gratuite
Had a longish (over 1 week) stay here recently.
I have been here before covid/coronavirus, so I know what is was like before.
Here are the changes I noticed compared to the years before 2020:

-This is hotel has completely stopped doing evening turn down service in the rooms. Was here for over 1 week, in 2 different rooms and it was never done once. I even asked about it to reception but they seemed to not want to admit they stopped doing it. Prior to the year 2020, they used to do it every night.

-They have removed all the notepads and pens from the rooms.

-Shanghai Tang toiletries are only for shampoo and conditioner. Shower gel and body lotion are from another (less fancy) brand.

-There is NO extra charge for diamond members (I'm assuming for gold members too) to have breakfast in the ground floor restaurant, however all the extra items not at the buffet (such as omlettes, poached eggs, pancakes, avocado toast, etc) must be ordered and paid for extra. In the past these items were included in the breakfast rate. Service at breakfast was slow and sloppy. Various people were waiting for ordered items and had to ask for them more than once. My simple cappuccino needed 2 reminders until I got it. This happened on several different days.

On a more general basis I noticed these things

-Views from the rooms. If your room windows face the front of the hotel (meaning the street where the huge 1920s art deco building is, which houses St James Park tube/metro station) then you will probably enjoy your view. However, a lot of the room windows face a small awful inner courtyard, or ugly side alleyways. In this case you may not enjoy your room (or the view) as much. Be aware of this when if you choose this hotel as you may be very disappointed with the view.

-If you have stayed at other Conrad hotels around the world, especially in Asia, or are used to the Hilton bankside, the executive lounge is the biggest disappointment at this hotel. Evening food served from 5pm to 7pm consists of cold cuts, cheese, 2 cold mini canapes (usually a tiny tart or toasted bread with something on it) and only 1 type of warm food on a tiny dish (such as 1 ravioli the first evening, or 1 prawn on the 2nd evening, or 1 tiny piece of meat on the 3rd evening). It is definitely not enough to substitute for a dinner, and you will still feel hungry afterwards. Wines and spirits have more choice, although I only saw 1 brand of beer.

The executive lounge also does an afternoon tea selection from 2pm to 4pm with 2 types of finger sandwiches, scones and cream, and 2 types of dessert. I actually enjoyed this more than the dinner options.

Conclusion

This hotels main selling point is its central london location right next to a tube/metro station in a pretty quiet area, and is only a short walk from the houses of parliament, westminster abbey and Buckingham palace. Somehow though, it really doesn't feel like a true 5 star hotel, especially if you compare it to other Conrad hotels around the world. The Hilton Bankside has a much better food selection both at breakfast and in their executive lounge. The Conrad is reducing costs in various small ways (no evening turn down service, no pens or notepads, lower brand name toiletries, surcharges for some breakfast items, poor selection in the evening at the lounge) and the direction your room windows face can have a huge effect on whether you enjoy your stay. Make sure you shop around before choosing this hotel. I only stayed here so long because I got a really good rate, and I needed to be in this area.

Restaurant nearby

For lunch or dinner I recommend the south indian restaurant called "Quilon" which is a short walk away. They used to have a Michelin star years ago, but not sure if they still have it, but the food is still very good, portions generous, and atmosphere is classy. Weekend brunch deal at 47 GBP for a lot of food if you book through the opentable website.
quilon Is still Michelin starred
Old Feb 20, 2023, 11:42 am

Programs: Hilton Honors diamond
Strange, I had turn down service twice even though my “ do not disturb” light was on at both nights. I like the new Byredo toiletries, personal choice of course, I liked Shanghai Tang as well.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:10 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Penny wise pound foolish
Hard pass from me.I suppose its their way of issuing a dollar limit like the North America based hotels
The joke is their sky high rates haven't gone down only up so its a money grab off of elites
And thats how you do it folks when everybody in the program is top tier elite if they are breathing
Old Feb 21, 2023, 5:31 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I’m here now. I redeemed an expiring credit card cert - started with superior king and was double upgraded from one bedroom suite to deluxe/executive one bedroom. The view sucks, but I’m here for one night, so I’ll suck it up.

I haven’t stayed down this way for a while, so it’s a nice change of pace.

My suite was missing a kettle and one was brought up quickly. I dropped my stuff off before check in and my bag was in the room when I returned from my errands in the afternoon.

Maybe this hotel is not as great as before for those of you with extensive stay histories, but it seems great to me.
Abidjan and wizla like this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 6:11 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Looking at staying in central London somewhere for a few nights in early April. This place is £238 while most other Hilton, IHG, and Marriott hotels are £190-240. So for a Conrad it doesn’t seem overpriced. Is there any change for Diamond breakfast with Hilton’s new USA breakfast policy? Hopefully it hasn’t crossed the pond?
thanks for any recent updates.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 11:02 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver, UA Premier Silver, Hilton Diamond
no, breakfast and executive lounge access seem to be the norm here, It's a nice property with a great location
Old Mar 15, 2023, 5:50 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Looking at staying in central London somewhere for a few nights in early April. This place is £238 while most other Hilton, IHG, and Marriott hotels are £190-240. So for a Conrad it doesn’t seem overpriced. Is there any change for Diamond breakfast with Hilton’s new USA breakfast policy? Hopefully it hasn’t crossed the pond?
thanks for any recent updates.
that’s a great price! For my upcoming trip the property is unfortunately sold out, but I’ve always enjoyed it and found the breakfast to be better than any but the pre-covid Bankside.
wizla likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:03 pm

Does this property mess with the T-4 day upgrade for Diamonds? Or do you typically have to beg via app leading up to the stay to get any kind of room upgrade?
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by jbandy10
Does this property mess with the T-4 day upgrade for Diamonds? Or do you typically have to beg via app leading up to the stay to get any kind of room upgrade?
Generally there are not many upgrades here. It's a pretty small hotel with only about 250 rooms including 30 or so suites which are often heavily booked. YMMV of course - have a good trip.
Old Apr 10, 2023, 1:40 pm

Just back from a 4-night stay at this hotel. I'm not a Conrad veteran so can't really compare much to others. I'll just say I agree with someone here who said a nice property in a great location. I mean really great location; tube station across the street, or walk three minutes to Westminster Abbey etc.

We had turn-down service every night except one when we declined it.

The Diamond breakfast in the dining room was fully comped; we saw no need to order custom eggs or other dishes from the paid menu. Hotel pretty full, and I was not surprised to get upgraded only from twin standard to twin executive room facing the front entrance side, right even with the two flags above the entrance. Room 214 recommended for those who only need a twin.

Got the plush Conrad English bulldog by request. Desk and door staff do a nice job, gave us an umbrella to use on the way out on a rainy morning, had good insights to area dining, etc. The nearby Michelin-starred Quilon (south India) restaurant was pricey but worth it. Used 3 Hilton FN and one night points for the stay. The Blue Boar pub is a stylish space but not really an English pub, overpriced and just OK food. Had afternoon formal tea in the hotel one day with a young child and it was excellent.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:50 am

Plan to stay here in September for two nights booked through AMEX The Hotel Collection for the $100 credit. Rate is about the same as on Hilton site.

Question: does anyone have any experience if they will honor my Diamond status and also will I receive HH points for the stay?
Old Jun 28, 2023, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by GMSK
Plan to stay here in September for two nights booked through AMEX The Hotel Collection for the $100 credit. Rate is about the same as on Hilton site.

Question: does anyone have any experience if they will honor my Diamond status and also will I receive HH points for the stay?
Not sure if anyone has specific experiences here however you can also check the master thread just a few posts down for some other data points.

Elite recognition and points when booking through AMEX Fine Hotels and Resorts?
Old Jul 18, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Recently stayed for two nights on points (80k) the week before July 4th. No upgrade as a Diamond, even with note about anniversary. No big deal. Thought the room was oddly arranged (triangle shaped instead of rectangular). Room got kind of warm but then noticed the tiny power button on the ac thermostat. Breakfast was exceptional. Particularly when not having to worry about the F&B credit amount! Stopped by the lounge a several times to rehydrate on waters, bottled Cokes and coffee, outside of the evening happy hour. Was always clean and staffed by an attendant.

Edit: sadly, the front desk said they were out of the plush Bulldogs. 🙁

King Superior room

Lounge hours

Breakfast menu

Chocolates

Last edited by ChevyCruze; Jul 18, 2023 at 10:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.