Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Johor Bahru {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Johor Bahru {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by OB one
Stingy? Well that is one interpretation. Following the HHonors rules is another. If you want to guarantee a room on the exec floor, you should book that rate. Everything else, including checking boxes on Nor1, is a gamble.
Understand your point. I am using a word stingy because the reply of a GM :

Room upgrade: as you have booked a Guest Room, you will be entitled to an upgrade to the next room category, which is Deluxe. If you wanted to obtain an upgrade to the Executive level, you could pay the RM 50++ to upgrade to deluxe and this would then give you an automatic upgrade to the Executive level
There are a lot more of nice words to reply with instead put a dot into the context. Given that its only 5k points per night, its a worth a try I guess. Want to see what type of room that I get next month.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:38 am
jxd

DT Kul has nothing to do with it. If executive floor is important to you, then book a rate that includes access. Otherwise you could just end up moping about how stingy the hotel is for the entire stay while other guests enjoy the executive lounge. Upgrades are not guaranteed. As you say for 5,000 points, it is likely a bargain, exec floor or not.
Yes, based on the general manager's email I will most likely pay extra 50rm during check in for lounge access if exec. room isn't offered.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:40 am
jxd

Originally Posted by Putra
Understand your point. I am using a word stingy because the reply of a GM :

There are a lot more of nice words to reply with instead put a dot into the context. Given that its only 5k points per night, its a worth a try I guess. Want to see what type of room that I get next month.
Yes, it would sound much better if the general manager just replied "room upgrade is based on availability" instead of directly saying "entitled to a 1 level upgrade".

when will you be staying at this property?
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by jxd
Yes, based on the general manager's email I will most likely pay extra 50rm during check in for lounge access if exec. room isn't offered.
Haha....^

Given that I will get the lounge regardless of my type of room, I will be cheapo as I can
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by jxd
Yes, it would sound much better if the general manager just replied "room upgrade is based on availability" instead of directly saying "entitled to a 1 level upgrade".

when will you be staying at this property?
Malaysia National day for 2 night and I just cancel 5 night on the Xmas. Moved my plan to Phuket instead of here. At least I satisfied with the treatment although required more points.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by jxd
But having rooms and not upgrading gold/diamond isn't exactly a nice gesture. I accept if the rooms are full and unable to upgrade. But if there are empty rooms, why not give an upgrade? Plus, an executive lounge upgrade from nor1 is 80rm, approx us$30. It's not alot to ask a hotel to upgrade a guest to a $30 more per night room ain't it

Again, it's not about the money, it's about treatment of gold/diamond members.
I like free upgrades too, but the hotel does have to manage revenue and costs, which us paying guests don't like to think about. from a quick search, exec rooms are available for 37,836 points. Another way to guarantee lounge access is to become a diamond, then you get guaranteed access to the exec lounge. To me that is more important than a room on the exec floor which I find are usually the same as rooms on the other floors.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:46 am
jxd

Originally Posted by Putra
Malaysia National day for 2 night and I just cancel 5 night on the Xmas. Moved my plan to Phuket instead of here. At least I satisfied with the treatment although required more points.
Hilton phuket? Planning a 7 nights stay next year. Already booked flights

Anyhow, I'll be staying there on singapore national day! Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by jxd
Hilton phuket? Planning a 7 nights stay next year. Already booked flights

Anyhow, I'll be staying there on singapore national day! Hoping for the best, expecting the worst.
Yes, Arcadia Phuket (Never fail to upgrade me to nice suite every year). Thinking to put another 2 nights at DT Phuket. Good luck getting an exec access
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:52 am
jxd

I like free upgrades too, but the hotel does have to manage revenue and costs, which us paying guests don't like to think about. from a quick search, exec rooms are available for 37,836 points. Another way to guarantee lounge access is to become a diamond, then you get guaranteed access to the exec lounge. To me that is more important than a room on the exec floor which I find are usually the same as rooms on the other floors.
Lounge access matters to me, room type does not. I'd rather be in a standard room with lounge access than an exec. room without lounge access.

I've said in my previous post, it doesn't cost much to upgrade a guest to an executive room if there are empty executive rooms. After all, it's going to be empty. The only losses will be from the lounge, which is no big deal to the hotel. Won't be pushing hard for an executive room upgrade though.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jxd
Be careful. Nor1 options are not guaranteed. You must check the box beforehand that you are willing to pay the extra amount for the upgrade. If you are okay with that, then you will not be presented the option of free upgrade or you choosing to pay at check-in.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:54 am

I understand your point. If hotel are great treating me, I wouldnt hesitate to give my bucks in term of FnB used although I know eating outside are far more cheaper than the hotel itself. Thats my principle though and I know each person have different principle.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 9:55 am
jxd

Be careful. Nor1 options are not guaranteed. You must check the box beforehand that you are willing to pay the extra amount for the upgrade. If you are okay with that, then you will not be presented the option of free upgrade or you choosing to pay at check-in.
The offer in the email (50rm+ to upgrade to deluxe) is not in the nor1 upgrade option. The cheapest option I have in nor1 is to upgrade to executive at 80rm+. That 50rm+ offer is probably an offer from the gm.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jxd
Lounge access matters to me, room type does not. I'd rather be in a standard room with lounge access than an exec. room without lounge access.
Agree 100%.

I've said in my previous post, it doesn't cost much to upgrade a guest to an executive room if there are empty executive rooms. After all, it's going to be empty. The only losses will be from the lounge, which is no big deal to the hotel. Won't be pushing hard for an executive room upgrade though.
Adding one more person to the lounge. No big deal. Yet around the world, exec lounge offerings have clearly worsened over the last few years. Hilton seems to be following one of two options (1) reduce access, in the process hitting golds especially hard, or (2) reduce the quality and quantity of offerings in the lounge. ihmo, Hilton has done both.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jxd
The offer in the email (50rm+ to upgrade to deluxe) is not in the nor1 upgrade option. The cheapest option I have in nor1 is to upgrade to executive at 80rm+. That 50rm+ offer is probably an offer from the gm.
That is what, $16 USD. Grab it and make a friend of the GM, then stop to thank him when you get to the hotel and my guess is you will end up with a bottle of wine and fruit plate in your room and someone you can contact in the future.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 10:18 am
jxd

That is what, $16 USD. Grab it and make a friend of the GM, then stop to thank him when you get to the hotel and my guess is you will end up with a bottle of wine and fruit plate in your room and someone you can contact in the future.
Grea! Thanks for your help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.