Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Johor Bahru {MYS}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Johor Bahru {MYS}

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by unitedinsg
Unbeatable value for the points. Got upgraded to 1 bed room suite by accepting the MYR 50++ offer from the GM. New facilities, almost empty when I was there on Fri. Ultra friendly staff.

Did you actually pay the 50rm on checkout? How did you inform the front desk you had a 50rm deal with GM?

I heard some golds got suite upgrade free. Didn't you? Didn't the GM say the 50rm was for upgrade to executive room? How did it become a suite?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:37 am
Original Poster

One forumer reported that he paid 50rm to GM to upgrade to executive room as a gold member.. Seems like GM is for real in charging 50rm for lounge access for gold members.

Any more reports to share other than the above forumer paying 50rm to suite instead of to lounge..

Last edited by InvestorTiger; Aug 13, 2014 at 6:04 pm
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by InvestorTiger
One forumer reported that he paid 50rm to GM to upgrade to executive room as a gold member.. Seems like GM is for real in charging 50rm for lounge access for gold members.

Any more reports to share other than the above forumer paying 50rm to suite instead of to lounge..
Are you saying the guest paid the 50 rm directly to the GM? Sounds like bribery. Is that what you are implying?

The GM is not charging 50 rm for exec lounge access. Your second sentence quoted above does not follow from your first. You are really mixing the policy up. There are guest rooms, deluxe rooms, suites, and executive level guest rooms (don't know but probably exec level suites too). You get guaranteed access to the exec lounge if you get upgraded to, or pay for, a suite or an exec level room. The hotel practices next level upgrades for golds, so if a gold books a guest room, that guest would be upgraded (if available) to a deluxe room. If a gold pays for a deluxe room, that guest would be upgraded to the next level, either an exec level room or a suite. It is not clear if a suite is higher (in the hotel's ranking) than an exec level room. Suites on other than exec floors still give exec lounge access. Obviously, a two bedroom suite on the exec floor with a view would be higher ranked than a one bedroom suite on a low floor with no view but who can say a if a guest room on the exec floor is better than a suite on a non exec floor?

and jxd was supposed to stay there this weekend. Perhaps a report will be forthcoming.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OB one
Are you saying the guest paid the 50 rm directly to the GM? Sounds like bribery. Is that what you are implying?

The GM is not charging 50 rm for exec lounge access. Your second sentence quoted above does not follow from your first. You are really mixing the policy up. There are guest rooms, deluxe rooms, suites, and executive level guest rooms (don't know but probably exec level suites too). You get guaranteed access to the exec lounge if you get upgraded to, or pay for, a suite or an exec level room. The hotel practices next level upgrades for golds, so if a gold books a guest room, that guest would be upgraded (if available) to a deluxe room. If a gold pays for a deluxe room, that guest would be upgraded to the next level, either an exec level room or a suite. It is not clear if a suite is higher (in the hotel's ranking) than an exec level room. Suites on other than exec floors still give exec lounge access. Obviously, a two bedroom suite on the exec floor with a view would be higher ranked than a one bedroom suite on a low floor with no view but who can say a if a guest room on the exec floor is better than a suite on a non exec floor?

and jxd was supposed to stay there this weekend. Perhaps a report will be forthcoming.

When did I say the forumer paid cash to the GM?? Please do not misunderstand the issue. I am saying the 50rm deal was proposed by GM la, as in it is not a NOR1 upgrade in the system. Forumer jxd told me he paid 50rm at the front desk(58rm nett).

What I was asking is whether the 50rm deal is to exec room or to suite as reported above. Don't confuse GM offer and system NOR1 offer. That deal is exclusive to the people who emailed the GM, others pay 81rm as in the NOR1 upgrade. So u dunno GM where got 50rm deal??
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am saying the 50rm deal was proposed by GM la, as in it is not a NOR1 upgrade in the system.
What does "GM la" mean?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OB one
What does "GM la" mean?

GM la simply means GM.....
Old Aug 11, 2014, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When did I say the forumer paid cash to the GM??
No one said cash. You said

One forumer reported that he paid 50rm to GM
I am saying the 50rm deal was proposed by GM la, as in it is not a NOR1 upgrade in the system. Forumer jxd told me he paid 50rm at the front desk(58rm nett).
It is hard to understand you when you write in Singlish and then you write information that apparently was sent to you in private. jxd did not write in this thread that he paid 50rm, or 58 rm nett, at the front desk as his stay just ended this morning and as far as I know, he has not posted here today.

What I was asking is whether the 50rm deal is to exec room or to suite as reported above.
If you read my post, both suites and exec floor guest rooms get exec floor access. It is unclear whether suites or exec floor rooms are ranked higher in the hotel's rating system.

Don't confuse GM offer and system NOR1 offer.
ummm, i made that exact point long ago in this thread.

That deal is exclusive to the people who emailed the GM,
Are you sure? Some properties, for example Hilton Budapest Castle, email guests asking if they would like to pay for a view room in addition to their upgrade and offer Nor1 too.

So u dunno GM where got 50rm deal??
GM la is Simon Mcgrath and where got was DT JB. u dunno?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:53 am
Original Poster

You say liddat also I dunno how to answer u la.

You cannot take things literally la. GM proposed 50rm deal to suite for one gold member and proposes 50rm to forumer jxd for lounge.... How are people supposed to know GM give them what deal? Not same mah

Suite is above exec floor rooms la this one u dunno?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You cannot take things literally la. GM proposed 50rm deal to suite for one gold member and proposes 50rm to forumer jxd for lounge.... How are people supposed to know GM give them what deal? Not same mah
No, GM la proposed to jxd that he pay 50rm to upgrade to deluxe room la and then jxd would be automatically upgraded to exec floor la and once on the exec floor la, jxd would get access to lounge la. Not da same as paying 50 rm for lounge la.

Suite is above exec floor rooms la this one u dunno?
maybe, u dunno dat. Show us. I am likely to agree that suites are valued higher than exec floor guest rooms, but the hotel may look at them as equal for upgrades.

Both suites (may be or may not be on exec floor) and exec level guest rooms get lounge access. Diamonds get lounge too as per HHonors T&C's. Golds only get lounge if on exec floor or in suite.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Haha..... This is interesting

Last edited by InvestorTiger; Aug 13, 2014 at 6:07 pm
Old Aug 11, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black
For the courtesy of this forum, would suggest that InvestorTiger (According to your profile you are from Kuala Lumpur, Federal Capital of Malaysia) to use internationally understandable english.

To InvestorTiger : Bro, even i staying in the region also have problem understanding your english la. If can use pls use simple one, if not, we all will have misunderstanding. Boleh?

Anyway, looking forward to JXD trip report when he returns.

Do note that some suites may not offer executive lounge access (however most chain hotel's suites comes with executive lounge access)
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by BBxCoreb
For the courtesy of this forum, would suggest that InvestorTiger (According to your profile you are from Kuala Lumpur, Federal Capital of Malaysia) to use internationally understandable english.

To InvestorTiger : Bro, even i staying in the region also have problem understanding your english la. If can use pls use simple one, if not, we all will have misunderstanding. Boleh?...
Methinks you guys are beating up InvestorTiger unnecessarily ... a little Singlish on a JB thread does not harm at all, it merely adds spice

What concerns me much more is this story ... has anyone experienced a bux / taxi ride over the causeway during the past few days? How much time should one budget to travel between the DT/JB and Changi now?

Last edited by shonamac; Aug 11, 2014 at 2:50 pm
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:27 pm
jxd

Calm down guys! I will post a full review later on.

Just to clear things up, I will do a quick write up.

During check in, receptionist saw my request for room upgrade and asked if I would like to upgrade to executive room for 50rm (58rm++ nett after tax)**. Paid the 58rm in cash.
Verbal information about cocktail hours in the lounge was given, together with a warm cookie. Was also recognized at check in for being hhonors gold and given late check out (2pm). Room was an executive room on the top floor of the hotel, above the executive lounge.
** 50rm was to upgrade to deluxe room, then a 1-level from deluxe to executive upgrade was given.

No letter from the gm, nothing (no info) about the executive lounge, no wifi password/access code for wifi - had to call care line for password.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by jxd
...During check in, receptionist saw my request for room upgrade and asked if I would like to upgrade to executive room for 50rm (58rm++ nett after tax)*...
So what happens if you are HH Gold and do not have a prior request for an upgrade? Does this hotel not do any comp upgrades to the Executive floor?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Based on my understanding of this thread, the hotel provides a 1-level upgrade, either from the standard room to the deluxe room, or from the deluxe room to the executive floor. So you need to pay for a deluxe room if you want to have a chance of ending up on the executive floor. Also note that the hotel is not obligated to upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.