Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Can you still book into late 2014/2015 with points or did they fix it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you still book into late 2014/2015 with points or did they fix it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by nittany987
Resolution:

So after researching this thing further, I put a call in to HHonors and was transferred to the diamond desk (who I presume is the most capable at handling these issues) and asked them to help me verify what was happening. They confirmed that my reservation was beyond the valid dates of the AXON awards I had redeemed. After a lengthy hold, I was told that my best course of action was to call back 365 days out and ask them to reconfirm it (and I suppose 'reset the clock' on the certificates). I asked if this was a standard thing, or if it was going to be a crapshoot and up to an agent's discretion. At this point, they said "I don't know" and sent me to a supervisor.

The supervisor didn't seem to be very aware of the AXON certificates, but nevertheless said he was opening a case to request that HHonors member services work with the HHonors desk to get the certificate extended and absorb any potential increase in points required. He indicated that it was an issue with their agents for allowing a reservation >1yr with expiring certificates and offered an apology for the hassle of getting this cleared up. ^

I got an email from the supervisor along with the case number, so I'm feeling better about this now.

Please forgive the length of this post, but wanted to accurately reflect the process that I went through in case it should prove helpful to anyone else out there in a similar situation.
At the risk of hogging this thread and in the interest of documenting this process for those in a similar situation, I wanted to give a brief update.

According to the original case opened, today was when I was supposed to hear back from Hilton regarding the extension of these certifications. After hearing nothing, I decided to call them up and proactively manage the situation. I ended up speaking with a HHonors supervisor who saw the original case and agreed with its intent. This supervisor told me that it would have to be handled by 'guest services.' She stated that she had opened a new case number, marked it with the highest priority and sent it over to guest services for resolution.

I should now hear back within 5-7 business days.

While I'm appreciative of the efforts being made on my behalf of HHonors, I'm a little concerned that this is taking so long to get to the bottom of. Each time I call, I have to go through multiple layers of agents, who all refer to some other department to resolve the underlying issue. I'm still hopeful that this comes to a successful resolution, but am concerned that I'm being passed around the Hilton corporate structure.

Will post another update when I hear back from member services, hopefully within the stated 5-7 business days.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 5:31 pm
Community Director Emerita

I was told today that I cannot use an AXON that expires March 2014 for a later booking with which it is paired.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 9:34 pm
LTH

Programs: AA EXP, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, SPG Platinum
I made two AXON bookings before devaluation, one for a stay within a year, one for beyond a year. But I didn't receive any certificate by email for these reservations, I only received the confirmation (I searched very carefully in my inbox). Should I call to ask about them?

This just makes me wonder, if I didn't come on this forum to read, how on earth am I supposed to know I need to show these certificates upon checking in, when the diamond desk agent didn't tell me anything about them and happily "confirmed" my reservations?!
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:50 am

Programs: HH diamond
Originally Posted by LTH
I made two AXON bookings before devaluation, one for a stay within a year, one for beyond a year. But I didn't receive any certificate by email for these reservations, I only received the confirmation (I searched very carefully in my inbox). Should I call to ask about them?

This just makes me wonder, if I didn't come on this forum to read, how on earth am I supposed to know I need to show these certificates upon checking in, when the diamond desk agent didn't tell me anything about them and happily "confirmed" my reservations?!
Recheck your email, including SPAM folder. Hilton ALWAYS send 2 emails when you make an AXON reservation: one with the AXON certificate & code, the second with the reservation confirmation with the code. They both are TITLED the same, so you may have thought you had a duplicate email. The certificate most definitely state the one year expiration date. The certificate is VOID after that expiration date.

If you cannot find your certificate (or more likely, deleted it thinking you had duplicate emails), call and have them resent.

If you have an expired certificate at the time of your stay, you will have to have another form of payment for your hotel stay. It's no different than showing up with an expired credit card. You still have have some form of payment.

If your hotel has not changed categories (or even dropped), you can cancel the current AXONs and have them reissued with a new expiration date 1 yr from new issue date.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I was told today that I cannot use an AXON that expires March 2014 for a later booking with which it is paired.
This is correct. The hotel will not be paid for an expired certificate. They will want another form of payment instead.

If your hotel has not changed categories (or actually dropped), cancel teh old AXON and have it reissued. That will move the expiration date to 1 yr from new issuance date.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:23 am

I booked a non-AXON reward stay (5 nights) at the Hilton Moorea for September 2014 before the deval.

I received an email from the hotel the other day asking me to confirm my ressie, and it had the 2014 highlighted in red.

I told them that I confirmed, and was aware it was a 2014 reservation, and that I made it before the devaluation. I received a reply thanking me for the response. I think I should be fine.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 9:59 am
LTH

Programs: AA EXP, HHonours Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt GP Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Recheck your email, including SPAM folder. Hilton ALWAYS send 2 emails when you make an AXON reservation: one with the AXON certificate & code, the second with the reservation confirmation with the code. They both are TITLED the same, so you may have thought you had a duplicate email. The certificate most definitely state the one year expiration date. The certificate is VOID after that expiration date.

If you cannot find your certificate (or more likely, deleted it thinking you had duplicate emails), call and have them resent.

If you have an expired certificate at the time of your stay, you will have to have another form of payment for your hotel stay. It's no different than showing up with an expired credit card. You still have have some form of payment.

If your hotel has not changed categories (or even dropped), you can cancel the current AXONs and have them reissued with a new expiration date 1 yr from new issue date.

I'm pretty sure I didn't delete the email by mistake. The reservation is for Conrad Maldives, so it's no longer possible to rebook at the same rate. I wonder if I made the case that the cert was never sent to me after booking, and hence not knowing the 1-year expiration period at the time of booking, that they would be willing to reissue a new cert with a new expiry date...
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:41 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by travelinfoo
Hilton ALWAYS send 2 emails when you make an AXON reservation: one with the AXON certificate & code, the second with the reservation confirmation with the code.
Not IME. Typically, I don't get an AXON certificate by email; rarely I do. Once when I got one while still on the phone with the diamond desk, CSR said they are supposed to stop the AXON cert email from being sent, but sometimes the system is too fast.

And I've never had to present an AXON certificate for a reward stay. Although the recent cert I got did have an expiration date one year out.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
Not IME. Typically, I don't get an AXON certificate by email; rarely I do. Once when I got one while still on the phone with the diamond desk, CSR said they are supposed to stop the AXON cert email from being sent, but sometimes the system is too fast.

And I've never had to present an AXON certificate for a reward stay. Although the recent cert I got did have an expiration date one year out.
I always got two. I booked 2 AXONs before the devaluation at separate times (both on March 27). I got 2 emails for each. I have never had to present a certificate. The hotel receives it and KNOWS what the expiration is. They will NOT accept an expired one as they will NOT be paid.

For LTH, check your AXON email. If you did not receive 2 emails, you most definitely have a 1-yr expiration date listed on the AXON reservation confirmation.

You may be lucky and have the Diamond Desk work with you. They are NOT obliged to do so as the AXONs are clearly good for 1 yr from date of issuance. If they refuse, I'm afraid you're SOL and need to find another payment method.
Old Jun 7, 2013, 6:46 am

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
What is AXON and GLON?
Old Jun 7, 2013, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
What is AXON and GLON?
There is a STICKY explains all.
Old Jun 14, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
Will post another update when I hear back from member services, hopefully within the stated 5-7 business days.

Any good news on this?
Old Jun 16, 2013, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by kiltedflyer
Any good news on this?
At the risk of hogging this thread and in the interest of documenting this process for those in a similar situation, I wanted to give a brief update....
Well the 7 business days had elapsed and (yet again) I heard nothing back. So I called the number I had for customer care and spoke with yet another agent. She was able to track the reference number and told me that it kept getting passed around. She told me that she was submitting this to her direct supervisor for resolution and would contact me on Monday (today) with an update / resolution.

Again, I'm appreciative of the help and the recognition that this issue has been outstanding for far too long. I'm still waiting on the "You're all set" message and will post an update to this on-going search for a resolution.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond-IHG Plat-AA Gold
I'm still waiting on the "You're all set" message and will post an update to this on-going search for a resolution.
bummer, but hang in there!

my data-point: I did just receive the "you're all set" message today regarding our 2015 CM reservation.

background: booked a 7 night GLON award online this past Feb, about a 5 weeks prior to the devaluation; yes, about 23 months in advance.

last week I contacted the CM directly regarding the validity of the rez in light of the possibility of an expired cert; the reservations manager at the CM forwarded my inquiry to a reservation supervisor in Shanghai, who said she would need to seek an answer from the "head office"...

and from Shanghai this morning, voila:

"I am glad to inform you that your certificate will be valid when you stay.

Hope you will have a pleasant and memorable stay in our wonderful Conrad Maldives."

Last edited by kiltedflyer; Jun 17, 2013 at 12:32 pm
Old Jun 17, 2013, 12:04 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by kiltedflyer
bummer, but hang in there!

my data-point: I did just receive the "you're all set" message today regarding our 2015 CM reservation.

background: booked a 7 night GLON award online this past Feb, about a 5 weeks prior to the devaluation; yes, about 23 months in adavnce.

last week I contacted the CM directly regarding the validity of the rez in light of the possibility of an expired cert; the reservations manager at the CM forwarded my inquiry to a reservation supervisor in Shanghai, who said she would need to seek an answer from the "head office"...

and from Shanghai this morning, voila:

"I am glad to inform you that your certificate will be valid when you stay.

Hope you will have a pleasant and memorable stay in our wonderful Conrad Maldives."

Thank you for the datapoint, further confirming what quite a few people have been told.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.