Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hilton | Hilton Honors
Reload this Page >

Can you still book into late 2014/2015 with points or did they fix it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can you still book into late 2014/2015 with points or did they fix it?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by LA_FadeAway
Ah, I see what you mean now. I just called the Honors customer service desk and the guy I spoke to said that if their web site lets you book it and it deducts the miles from your account then they will honor it. Of course, he didn't sound 100% sure about that either.
seemed unsure? maybe he is a fairly new agent. probably worth asking to speak to a supervisor imho.

i surely wouldn't book nonrefundable travel based on an unclear answer, and even a clear answer I would want in writing regarding this issue.

there is an expiration date.

if anyone has a confirmation email handy from a reward stay (which I do not), maybe they can look to see if it states reward ID, reward cert, etc. (where the reward cert. # is located).

That reward cert. # represents the certificate that is assigned. Yes, paperless; but nonetheless a trackable certificate that is likely located in your hhonors account information (since that's where the points are deducted).

The call for expiration dates should probably go to the diamond desk, hhonors desk or a supervisor (I suspect), since that's who manages your hhonors accounts. Reservations desk simple manages/makes reservations (they may or may not have access to the information you are seeking).
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Silver
I've looked all over my confirmation and cannot find reference to a certificate number or expiration date nor could the three people I spoke with at the honors reservation desk, honors customer service, and honors redemption desk. Right now, my reservation starts exactly one year from today, so I think it's "safe" regardless, but I'd prefer to move it to April if it would still be valid. Just kind of afraid to mess with it though. I would hate to lose out on the deal I have now.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Each award reservation has reward ID attached like below for Los Cabos that was for 2 nights booked online. Even though reward certificate itslef is not emailed it does exist and I am fairly confident it has 1 year expiration.

Confirmation: aaaaaaaaa Modify Reservation
Hilton HHonors® Number: qqqqqqqqq
Arrival: 16 Mar 2013 3:00 PM
Departure: 18 Mar 2013 12:00 PM

Reward Redemption Information:
Redemption Type:
HHONORS REWARD
HHonors Reward ID: zzzzzzz 83,990 Points
Total Number of Points per Stay: 83,990 Points
Rate Type:
PREMIUM ROOM REWARD
Rate per night: Confidential Rate

AXON confirmations look exactly the same however aside from booking confirmation email citing reward ID there was also a separate email confirming award which spells out expiration:
HHonors Account Number: aaaaaaaaa

E-mail: [email protected]

Ship Mode: E-Mail

Reward Certificate ID: zzzzzzzzz

Issue Date: 27-Mar-2013

Expiration Date: 27-Mar-2014

One can claim lack of disclosure and maybe get expiration extended but all redemptions have reward certificates attached which are almost certainly have 1 yr expiration. Perhaps one can get away with it but if systems are programmed to reject expired cert you may have to pay $ and then sort this out with HHonors.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:02 pm

I've looked all over my confirmation and cannot find reference to a certificate number or expiration date nor could the three people I spoke with at the honors reservation desk, honors customer service, and honors redemption desk. Right now, my reservation starts exactly one year from today, so I think it's "safe" regardless, but I'd prefer to move it to April if it would still be valid. Just kind of afraid to mess with it though. I would hate to lose out on the deal I have now.
So, are you saying that you cannot find or do not see the reward ID # on your email?

It should def. be there. When you call to make a reward reservation, they often give you 2 numbers (1 confirmation number and 1 reward #). Both numbers are listed on the emails. I don't have 1 in my email handy to look at right this second, but if no one can find the number, I will def. search through my emails to find one. It is there. Every reward stay is 'assigned' a reward number. This is a different number from the confirmation number.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:05 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by shoreline
So, are you saying that you cannot find or do not see the reward ID # on your email?

It should def. be there. When you call to make a reward reservation, they often give you 2 numbers (1 confirmation number and 1 reward #). Both numbers are listed on the emails. I don't have 1 in my email handy to look at right this second, but if no one can find the number, I will def. search through my emails to find one. It is there. Every reward stay is 'assigned' a reward number. This is a different number from the confirmation number.
He said he can't find reference to a "certificate number". He probably can find the "reward ID". I looked at all of my e-mailed reservations and they have a "reward ID" and don't have any mention of any 1-year expiration.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
Each award reservation has reward ID attached like below for Los Cabos that was for 2 nights booked online. Even though reward certificate itslef is not emailed it does exist and I am fairly confident it has 1 year expiration.

AXON confirmations look exactly the same however aside from booking confirmation email citing reward ID there was also a separate email confirming award which spells out expiration:

One can claim lack of disclosure and maybe get expiration extended but all redemptions have reward certificates attached which are almost certainly have 1 yr expiration. Perhaps one can get away with it but if systems are programmed to reject expired cert you may have to pay $ and then sort this out with HHonors.

Thanks for confirming. I knew it was there. You were typing at same time I was responding (so you beat me to the submit button^).

Good luck to all who decide to risk it.
It will be interesting to see the results at a later date.

However, those deciding to take the risk and book nonrefundable airline tickets may not be so happy. (it's def. a risk they should be counting to be a big risk). Good luck to them.

Some will likely be fine and some will likely not be fine (it's always ymmv), but it's unlikely the hotels will 'have' to honor those expired certs.

As always, to each his own. Everyone has their own risk level.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:29 pm

I do have a "Reward Confirmation ID" but no certificate number. I can't even get through to the Hilton people now. Lines are busy.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

I can't get the 2014/2015 booking to work at the Waldorf New york...
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:41 am

So, I finally got someone who looked at my Reward # and found the expiration date. She said it was March 27, 2014, which is the day we check in. She also said that if we changed it to a later date that the new check in date would become our expiration date. Of course, by the time she confirmed this it was too late for me to make any changes since the devaluation happened at midnight Eastern, rather than Central as we'd been told. The good news for others is that, according to everyone I talked to, any reservations made online should be honored even if they are more than a year out.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 4:41 am

Programs: HH diamond
So, I finally got someone who looked at my Reward # and found the expiration date. She said it was March 27, 2014, which is the day we check in. She also said that if we changed it to a later date that the new check in date would become our expiration date. Of course, by the time she confirmed this it was too late for me to make any changes since the devaluation happened at midnight Eastern, rather than Central as we'd been told. The good news for others is that, according to everyone I talked to, any reservations made online should be honored even if they are more than a year out.
You should be fine. My understanding is as long as your certificate is still valid on the day you check-in, it's fine. It's the check-in date that counts.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
I'm a little concerned about my reservation. Did not realize there was a one year limit on certificates and I'm not really sure that I received a certificate.
I booked 4 nights in Moorea and 4 in Bora Bora 10/14/14, online showed a price of 42.5k per night (170k total). Called the Axon award line to book Moorea on Saturday and on Sunday booked Bora Bora the same way by calling in. No problem booking either over the phone and both accts had 145k deducted from them.

Received email confirmations for both and after reading this thread on here I got a little concerned -- checked out the email confirmation and it shows that they booked each 4 day stay by deducting 170k, as it would have if I booked it online. I have been in touch w/ Moorea about booking a paid upgrade, and the GM there confirmed my reservation and sent me a price list for upgrades. It does not appear that they booked this as an Axon award yet only took 145k from each account. Shoud I still be concerned that this reservation will not be valid. Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by JRV62
I'm a little concerned about my reservation. Did not realize there was a one year limit on certificates and I'm not really sure that I received a certificate.
I booked 4 nights in Moorea and 4 in Bora Bora 10/14/14, online showed a price of 42.5k per night (170k total). Called the Axon award line to book Moorea on Saturday and on Sunday booked Bora Bora the same way by calling in. No problem booking either over the phone and both accts had 145k deducted from them.

Received email confirmations for both and after reading this thread on here I got a little concerned -- checked out the email confirmation and it shows that they booked each 4 day stay by deducting 170k, as it would have if I booked it online. I have been in touch w/ Moorea about booking a paid upgrade, and the GM there confirmed my reservation and sent me a price list for upgrades. It does not appear that they booked this as an Axon award yet only took 145k from each account. Shoud I still be concerned that this reservation will not be valid. Thanks.
I am afraid you have booked Axon awards since 145k was deducted. This means there are certificates attached to those reservations which are only valid for 1 year. When I booked Axon last time, it also deducted 145k but showed 170k on the reservation. I wouldn't book non-refundable flights until you can confirm your reservations will be honored which I highly doubt. From what I read, Hilton makes no exceptions in extending the expiration date of the certificates.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 9:36 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
I wasn't going to comment on this thread as we got into a bit of an argument on the same issue in another thread but here's my two pennies worth.

I've booked the Conrad Maldives twice, March 2013 and March 2012, and made the bookings more than a year in advance. I have never had a problem with redemption.

I have now made my bookings for 2014 and 2015. I have reservation confirmations from Conrad. There are no certificates, there are confirmation numbers and reward confirmation IDs. When I have checked in, they never ask for certificates (there are none issued) as they have a confirmed reservation in their system.

I appreciate that everyone can have their own risk level but I feel that this is being made an issue which may not apply in all cases. I totally get it, if you are presenting a certificate demanded by hotel in order to redeem the room you have booked. If that's expired then of course there could be problems.

However, my experience is that the hotel I frequent in the Maldives don't care when the booking was made..... A booking is a booking. For extra security and to avoid any heartache later, I have decided to email the hotel to confirm the reservation before i book the travel :-)
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks this is a very interesting data point if you booked your awards more than one year in advance and had no issues. I think this is the first report of such here...

Perhaps reward expiration date is not enforced by the system after all but its a good idea to confirm the reservation with property.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond
What has also occurred to me...... How could they enforce it , if the system allows you to make the booking? Surely the system would just reject all reward bookings made more than a year out? The reward ID ( and paperless certificate as a previous poster called it) is linked to a booking that they KNOW is more than a year away. I really think there is difference in the type of reward redemption that is being discussed/made.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.