FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hilton | Hilton Honors (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors-417/)
-   -   Can you still book into late 2014/2015 with points or did they fix it? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilton-hilton-honors/1452927-can-you-still-book-into-late-2014-2015-points-did-they-fix.html)

johndoe123 Mar 27, 2013 9:06 am

Can you still book into late 2014/2015 with points or did they fix it?

Has anyone been able to still book out into late 2014/2015 with HHONORS points using the procedure here? http://loyaltylobby.com/2013/02/23/h...e-devaluation/

It seems they may have fixed it, but I can't tell.

Deepd1ver7 Mar 27, 2013 10:38 am

I booked March 2015 no problem.

Ms Cat's Travel Mar 27, 2013 10:39 am

Still working as far as I can tell.

jbeckett Mar 27, 2013 10:52 am

I booked last night for two properties in Japan for mid-2014 using this method.

mareh Mar 27, 2013 11:56 am

I booked 2 award stays for dates after March 2014 this morning.

kmandrew Mar 27, 2013 12:06 pm

From what I understand the reward certs are only good for 1 year from date of issue. How would we apply a cert to a reservation more than 12 months out, wouldn't it be expired?

travelinfoo Mar 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by kmandrew (Post 20492464)
From what I understand the reward certs are only good for 1 year from date of issue. How would we apply a cert to a reservation more than 12 months out, wouldn't it be expired?

I'm wondering the same thing. Even though the certificates are virtual ones, they still come with the same expiration date of 1 yr from issuance.

A lot of ppl are saying they need to honor the reservation 1+ yr out. Yes, they do. But they do NOT have to honor an expired certificate. Also be aware, once the certificate expires, they can't be changed/extended at the same rates after March 27. That would be considered a change. So a certificate for 5 days at a Cat 7 going to Cat 10 will no longer be good enough to pay for the hotel at the new rates.

It's no different than going to a store and trying to use an epxired coupon. You can still by the item, but not with that coupon.

mareh Mar 27, 2013 12:44 pm

I went back and forth on what to do, but the bottom line for me is that I didn't have vacation time to use all my points by March, so I'm taking the risk. I'll know what to expect before I take the trip, because I won't be the first one to test the waters.

kryten22uk Mar 27, 2013 12:52 pm

Not sure why theres anything to "fix". You can freely get the same bookings over the phone, so its not an internet glitch or anything. Properties seem to have the say in how far in advance they release their rooms, as some hotels dont provide availability post 12mths, so this "method" wont work.

drewdawg199 Mar 27, 2013 5:14 pm

delete

some dude Mar 27, 2013 5:24 pm

I could be wrong, but I think just the AXON awards have the 1-year expiration. If you are just using VIP or standard award, pretty sure those don't expire.

shoreline Mar 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by some dude (Post 20494293)
I could be wrong, but I think just the AXON awards have the 1-year expiration. If you are just using VIP or standard award, pretty sure those don't expire.

You are incorrect.

Hopefully people who are booking out further than 1 year understand if they are purchasing flights they may be very upset when these expired certs do not get honored.

This is very risky. It is def. proceed at your own risk and don't claim to be upset when/if the results are not what you wanted/expected.

It's highly unlikely Hilton will have any sympathy for those who chose to try to take advantage of their system in this manner. I seriously doubt any extensions (sympathy or otherwise) will be given. A few may get honored, but the problem will be for high traffic hotels in high seasons. If the hotel sells out, it's pretty unlikely anything will be honored (except BAR rate---and that's only a slim possibility if the hotel is sold out).

Only time will tell. It will be interesting to read the reports when the time comes.

stiwi Mar 27, 2013 5:52 pm

I have seen that you can book for instance Conrad Maldives for NYE 2014/2015, dates that are usually not available. Question remains if it is going to be honoured.

whimike Mar 27, 2013 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by shoreline (Post 20494390)
You are incorrect.

Hopefully people who are booking out further than 1 year understand if they are purchasing flights they may be very upset when these expired certs do not get honored.

This is very risky. It is def. proceed at your own risk and don't claim to be upset when/if the results are not what you wanted/expected.

It's highly unlikely Hilton will have any sympathy for those who chose to try to take advantage of their system in this manner.

Please show me where in the T&C it states the an award has a 1-year expiration date? I have picked apart the T&C and it doesn't state it anywhere.

All the details are here:

http://hhonors3.hilton.com/en/terms/index.html

Specifically, there are lots of different types of awards/rewards.

In the "Reward Redemption" section:

In section 3 it is specifically talks about:

"When redeeming points online or via phone for Hotel Reward Stays or exchanging HHonors Points for airline miles through Reward Exchange, points will be deducted from the Member's account automatically upon Member completing the redemption transaction."

So, they specifically define an Award for a hotel stay as a "Hotel Reward".

In section 4 they specifically talk about:

"If a person other than the individual named on the Reward documentation attempts to redeem the Reward, the Reward will be deemed void and accommodations and/or transportation will be denied."

So, from this we gather that there are awards that could involve transportation of some sort.

In section 8 it states:

"All Rewards are subject to certain restrictions. See the Terms and Conditions below or online at Rewards which apply to each specific Reward."

This would indicate there are various types of awards, and indeed following section 8 it talks about all sorts of different award types, such as:

"Marketing Partner Reward" in section 9.

"Travel Rewards" in section 10.

"Promotional Rewards" in section 14.

The ONLY mention of a 1-year expiry is in section 10:

"Travel Rewards are normally valid for one year from date of issuance though Hilton HHonors Worldwide, L.L.C., may, from time to time, offer Rewards with shorter validity periods. Travel Reward validity periods appear on the face of the Reward Certificate."

Nowhere does it state that all Award types have an expiry date of 1-year. Nowhere does it state that "Hotel Awards" have an expiry date of 1-year.

Per section 5:

"A Reward Certificate redeemable for the Reward, requested by the Member, will be issued via the website when redeeming online or via Hilton Reservations and Customer Care."

Due to the way they do this, if there ever were an expiry date on the "Hotel Award" certificate, none of us booking online would be privy to it since we don't receive the actual certificate.

Now, in the "Hotel Reward Stays" section, specifically section 7 states:

"A Reward Stay reservation is valid for the room accommodations stated thereon at one room at one hotel for one stay (as that term is defined herein) and as provided on the Reward Stay Certificate or Confirmation. To change the location of a Reward Stay reservation, the Member must first cancel the existing Reward Stay reservation and then book the new Reward Stay reservation at the desired property."

This section is the real key. I have a Reward Stay reservation/confirmation which very clearly states the dates that I am confirmed for and at what rate, and it also states the Reward Confirmation ID for this reservation, all on one page.

shoreline Mar 27, 2013 6:21 pm

[QUOTE=whimike;20494526]Please show me where in the T&C it states the an award has a 1-year expiration date? I have picked apart the T&C and it doesn't state it anywhere.

simply call on a reward stay that you have booked, and ask them when that reward cert. expires. (pretty simple).;)

If you don't have a reward stay, simply call the hhonors desk and ask them if you book a reward stay when does that cert. officially expire.

They have access to the information.